Thread: Patronus Age?

Mistletoe

Patronus Age?

So everyone knows that Harry learned how to cast a Patronus when he was in his third year. Obviously he was more advanced than just about everyone else, everywhere. In the world.

But my question is, what is that average age that one learns how to cast a Patronus?

witch6
    umm.. I'd say around the NEWT level, if they ever learn how to cast one. I think when they 16-17, they are old enough to learn about it, in the sense they have enough magical ability but mostly it isn't taught at hogwarts, so most of the people don't know about it. I thinks it's people like aurors or others who are really skilled, that learn this charm.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I'm under the impression most adults know it, because in DH Umbridge has a patronus protecting her from the dementors, and she's not an auror or anything. Maybe this is on the NEWT DADA. Of course Fred and George (and other 7th years in Dumbledore's Army) didn't know how to cast a patronus, but they had Umbridge for a teacher. [I seem a bit preoccupied with Umbridge today.] Harry gets extra credit for casting a patronus on the OWLs, so that also makes me think it would be on the NEWTs, because otherwise it would seem sort of random for the examiner to ask him to do it.

bertiebott12
    I actually disagree with a few of the points being mentioned here. When I first read the topic, I quickly consulted the lexicon. Here is what it has to say on the topic.

Expecto Patronum!

First off, look at the meaning of the spell. Expecto means to "expect or look for" , and patronum means "a patron or assistant". That latter was a medieval term. Now, who would be old enough to need an assistant? Would a Hogwarts age student need to ward off dementors? Certainly not in the Ministry's eyes. They would believe that only officials such as Umbridge or Aurors would need to use the spell.

Another thing that I thought about, was that the term was medieval. What is the coming of age sign of medieval times? I'm not an expert, but I would guess around 13 or so. But, I do know, that in those times, you job or rank really influenced how people saw you. Can anyone back me up on this? Anyways, looking at that information, I think it would depend on what you vocation is, not your age. Anyways, ask yourself the basic question, who would really need it?

*Claire*

red haired mom
    I'm going to have to say they would be taught in the seventh year, but only a few would be able to do it. If you remember Remus told Harry, "well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level." page 237 paperback American edition.
    Then, "But I must warn you, Harry, that the charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it." same page, just further down.

They would be taught so they could know the theory and at least know how to do the spell. It would probably be on the DADA NEWT exam, but maybe only as a bonus question like Harry on the OWL.

As much as I would like to agree with bertiebott12, I do only partly. It would have to be a requirement for some jobs, but all of the students would be taught how to do it.

I really hope this helped in some way.
    ~Wendy

Mistletoe
    This had been very helpful everyone, thanks so much!

I do agree, really with bits of everyone's opinions. I have a feeling that it would at least be taught in the seventh year. And obviously members of the Order of the Pheonix use it to communicate, so they all know how to do it.

Harry teaches the DA to do them in OotP, doesn't he? And every person in the club gets it eventually, even if it takes Neville a bit longer. So obviously, it can't be as advanced of magic as Lupin led on if a room full of fifth years can get the hang of it.

witch6
    Originally posted by Mistletoe
    So obviously, it can't be as advanced of magic as Lupin led on if a room full of fifth years can get the hang of it.
    I think producing a patronus would be more difficult while facing a dementor. When the DA learns to do it, they had to do it without reliving their worst memories and still some of them had problem doing that. So, i think it is really advanced, when it has to be performed in the presence of a dementor.

red haired mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe
    This had been very helpful everyone, thanks so much!

I do agree, really with bits of everyone's opinions. I have a feeling that it would at least be taught in the seventh year. And obviously members of the Order of the Pheonix use it to communicate, so they all know how to do it.

Harry teaches the DA to do them in OotP, doesn't he? And every person in the club gets it eventually, even if it takes Neville a bit longer. So obviously, it can't be as advanced of magic as Lupin led on if a room full of fifth years can get the hang of it.

Actually, Harry teaching the DA to do it was a fluke. Only because they actually knew what they were up against were they able to really buckle down and learn the spell.

But not all of them were able to conjure a corporeal one, and even the ones that could weren't that strong.

Only the ones who fought with Harry all the way could do them strong enough to actually have an impact on a real Dementor.

In the DA Harry actually tells them, it's harder to do when faced with a real Dementor.

Most of the students in the DA would have learned it again later, and because of his tutelage might be able to conjure a corporeal one that would stay longer than a flicker, but for the most part, I would have to say only the 'six' and the twins were able to do them well enough to matter by the end of OotP.

~Wendy

Merlynne
    I think to cast a Patronus would not only take magical skills and knowledge, but a certain degree of character and maturity. the DA proved themselves to be more mature than average students by joining up an illegal group, so perhaps they have the "strenght" of will and character also to cast the spell.

As for teaching the spell in Hogwarts, I would suspect they do teach it to NEWT students, but they are not examined on it. It is probably the save level of difficulty technically (or magically speaking--based on skill level) as much of the NEWT material, but because (as I believe) it relies on maturity and character that not all kids have at 17, it would not be necessary for them to cast it.

The fact that, like red haired mom says, most of the DA members were unable to conjure a corporeal Patronus supports the idea that the Patronus requires maturity, age, experience, and identity. Harry is mature for his age--has to be mature--and has a strong identity which he is quite certain of, therefore he is able to project part of himself into his Patronus--the stag (representing his close identification with his father). Those who are still developing and changing as teenagers might not be able to conjure a Patronus with an identity--an animal.

Or, on a completely different note: Is what's difficult about casting a Patronus not actually the spell, but casting it to ward off a Dementor? Is it perhaps relatively easy to cast, but not when faced with the real thing? We've seen wizards use it as more than a defender against Dementors, so perhaps it is simple enough to conjure as a messenger, but against a Dementor it becomes really advanced and difficult?

All in all, my opinion is that the age at which one is able to conjure a Patronus depends greatly on the maturity and strength (emotionally speaking) of the individual. It is a projection of one's true character.

-Merlynne