Thread: Furniture Transfiguration

ron_chaser

Furniture Transfiguration

My question is, is it realistic for Harry to transfigure a bed into a desk? This would be right after DH, so he would have Hogwarts education up to 6th year.

Thanks!

Christina

Mistletoe
    Yes, I think so. He has experience transfiguring living objects into immobile objects. By the time he is an accomplished sixth year, he definitely has the experience. And it is Harry after all, he pulls off the tough things, you know?

And by the by they're two inanimate objects. I'm sure that's a bit easier to transfigure than a bird.

Anyway, it wouldn't be unbelievable if you were to write it into your story.

ron_chaser

Thanks!

Yes, I would agree that Harry is accomplished enough to do this. I hadn't considered the fact that it is two inanimate objects, which seems easier than animal transformations. Thank you mistletoe!

Christina

Mods: Please lock and grave this!

AurorKeefy
    A minor note to say that Harry performs complex Defence Against the Dark Arts magic very well under exceptional circumstances. However, as it reiterated throughout the books, his general wandwork leaves something to be desired. Though Harry can transfigure things, it would be wrong to say he was a dab hand at it. Even up to book six, his transfiguration is frequently flawed. Yes, living objects (ie the spider in book seven) are harder to transfigure, but size is also a factor ("You'll be starting small, matchsticks and..." - PS). On top of this, it's worth considering the sort of chairs Dumbledore and McGonagall can conjure up. While their furniture is doubtless reflective of their personalities, I'm sure it was written that way to imply ability as well.

So, Harry probably could change a bed into a desk, but said desk might have three legs and be full of pillows, or something. Inevitably, this is the sort of thing Hermione would have to correct to get it perfect. Of course Hermione leaping in may not fit your story, but I thought I'd say anyway.