Thread: McGonagall Help, Please!

harrypotterfangirl21

McGonagall Help, Please!

I have a few questions considering Minerva McGonagall. My fic takes place in the Riddle Era -- specifically when he opens the Chamber of Secrets -- and there are a few things I need to know.

How old would she be, compared to Tom, if Tom was in his fifth year? I have her down as a sixth-year, but I'm not positive.

If she suspected that Tom had been the Heir of Slytherin, would she have turned him in? Or would she have confronted him? I have it in my outline that she would confront him, but I'd like to see some opinions on this.

THIS IS NOT A TOM/MINERVA FIC. Thought I might want to get that in the open.

Help, please?

- Katie

Snape's Talon
    The Lexicon has McGonagall starting her first year at Hogwarts in 1937 and Tom Riddle starting his first year in 1938. Click here for their comprehensive timeline of the 1900's.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    How old would she be, compared to Tom, if Tom was in his fifth year? I have her down as a sixth-year, but I'm not positive.

According to the Lexicon, McGonagall went to Hogwarts from 1937-44 and Tom was there from 1938-45, so when he's a fifth year, she'll be in her sixth.

If she suspected that Tom had been the Heir of Slytherin, would she have turned him in? Or would she have confronted him?

She seems like she would confront him. We know that she's not afraid of confrontation and even when she is older, she doesn't go straight to authority [the Ministry] and stands up against it and Umbridge. The headmaster at this time is Armando Dippet, but we don't really know much about how the school is run. (I guess that's for you to decide) I think she would only turn him in if she trusted that the school would be able to do something.

Should this be on the character page?

harrypotterfangirl21
    Thank you both!

I've gotten what I needed from this thread, so it's Lock and Grave time, mods!

- Katie