Thread: Ravenclaw questions

HarryP0tt3r

Ravenclaw questions

I am looking for riddles and/or questions that would be asked when someone is trying to enter the Ravenclaw common room.

Thanks,

HarryP0tt3r

Stubbornly_appeared

Good question.

*wracks brain*

"What is the antidote to every poison?" (Hehe. Bezoar, obviously.)

"Was the phoenix first young or born old?"

"How do you know if a nonverbal spell has failed?"

"Can one create something from nothing?" (I would think the answer would be that there is no such thing as nothing- there is always SOMETHING, so the base is there.)

And then you could go with classic riddles (look in LOTR), philosophical questions, or trick stuff, like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" and "If a tree falls in the Forbidden Forest and no one was there to hear it, does it make a sound?".

-Stubby

red haired mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbornly_appeared
    *wracks brain*

"What is the antidote to every poison?" (Hehe. Bezoar, obviously.)

"Was the phoenix first young or born old?"

"How do you know if a nonverbal spell has failed?"

"Can one create something from nothing?" (I would think the answer would be that there is no such thing as nothing- there is always SOMETHING, so the base is there.)

And then you could go with classic riddles (look in LOTR), philosophical questions, or trick stuff, like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" and "If a tree falls in the Forbidden Forest and no one was there to hear it, does it make a sound?".

-Stubby
    Actually the answer to number one is not a Bezoar. It is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat the will save you from MOST poisons. the correct answer would be Galpalotts Third Law- or better yet a simple, 'there is no one antidote for every poison'.

Maybe something along the lines of ...

If something is invisible, is it also intangible?

Where do conjured items come from?

By definition, what is a ghost?

Hope that helped.

~Wendy

bewitching

Oh! Riddles!

I love Riddles. I'm a Riddle fanatic. Oh yay! Okay, so highlight directly under said riddle for the answer.

Whats greater than God, worse than the devil, the rich don't want it the poor have it, and if you drink it you die?
    Nothing

It's between heaven and earth and is not on a tree
    In this riddle I have told you but you can't tell me.
    Knot on a Tree

In marble walls as white as milk,
    Lined with sin as soft as silk
    Within a fountain crystal clear
    A golden apple doth appear
    No doors there are to this stronghold
    Yet thieves break in and steal the gold.
    An egg

Voiceless it cries
    Wingless it flutters,
    Toothless bites
    Mouthless mutters
    The Wind

What is it that no man ever yet see,
    Which never was,but always is to be?
    Tomorrow

I run and run, never tire. Down and Down! Never up!
    A River

MaiaMadness
    Stole this one from the tale of Oedipus, from Greek Mythology. The Sphinx asks this riddle of him:

What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon and three legs in the evening?

Man. As an infant he crawls on hands and feet, as a man he walks on his legs, and as an elder he hunches with a cane.

And don't worry, legends aren't subject to copyright laws. :P

red haired mom
    I would just like to say the door to the Ravenclaw Tower wouldn't ask riddles that had nothing to do with magic, and/or the Potterverse.

While some riddles are fine, like the one the Sphinx asked in GoF, I don't think you would have to answer a riddle to get in the Tower. They usually require logical thinking, and as Hermione mentioned in PS/SS most wizards would be stuck forever trying to figure out a logic puzzle.

My advice, look through the books, and on the Lexicon, find a few definitions and ask general questions using them as answers.

A few more options could be...

What is a corporeal Patronus made of? (Happiness)

Does a Boggart have a clearly defined form? (As no one has seen a boggart when they are alone, we don't know)

Can a Dementor die? (If it lives, it can die)

Hope that helped.

~Wendy