Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Wood

MadEyeMaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Sand
    What about as a father? Do you think he'll be like Ron in the sense he want's his kids in Gryffindor, or wouldn't he care? How would he react to his son being in Hufflepuff? Do you think he would be okay with his son maybe not being into Quidditch? (I haven't decided if he will be into it or not.)

Okay, I think that Oliver seems somewhat of a "really cares" person, like when he would basically rip his eyeballs out when they lost a Quidditch match. I think he would prefer his son in Gryffindor, but I don't he would be as carried away as to be upset about him being in Hufflepuff. I think he'd be upset about his son not being in to Quidditch though. Alright, I hope I helped!

--Maddy

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello,

I'm currently studying Oliver Wood in characterisation class, and I have some questions I'd like to put to you all.

Why do you think Oliver is so obsessed with Quidditch?

What do you think Oliver would do if he were badly injured and had to retire from the game?

Who do you think contacted him about the Battle of Hogwarts? (He didn't have a Gold Galleon because he wasn't in the DA)

Speculate on his love interest for me.

Regarding his sensitivity - he cries profusely when they win the Cup, but he also takes defeat to heart as well. Just thought I'd mention it.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad

I would guess that his parents were both big Quidditch fans and probably took him to matches when he was growing up, listened to matches on the radio, and read feature stories aloud from the Daily Prophet. It's a really simple explanation, but I think it works for Oliver.

I doubt he's into Quidditch because one of his parents was a professional player because he surely would have mentioned that in one of the books. I just think he's a born and raised fanatic who gets to actually live out his dreams on the pitch. He doesn't seem pressured to play the game, which would nix out the "fulfill my childhood wishes" parent; he plays because he loves what he does.

What do you think Oliver would do if he were badly injured and had to retire from the game?
    Oliver seems to be an instructor and motivator at heart, so I can see him either joining the Quidditch coaching ranks or eventually replacing Madam Hooch as the flying instructor at Hogwarts.

Who do you think contacted him about the Battle of Hogwarts? (He didn't have a Gold Galleon because he wasn't in the DA) and Speculate on his love interest for me.
    Since this is delving into speculation, I'll combine the two. What if he was dating, say, Alicia Spinnet or Katie Bell at the time of the Battle of Hogwarts? Since both of Alicia and Katie were in the DA and would get the message, that would work. Assuming the Quidditch League was still going strong even during the war (can you say plot bunny!), Oliver would probably not have time to get involved with any resistance movement, considering he'd be traveling all over the world for matches.
    Avatar/Banner by me. Advertising the return of "The Fastest Yet," the tale of the founding of the Nimbus Racing Broom Company!

MorganRay

wood

Uh, I have a hard time answering this question, for some reason. I guess I can only extrapolate from my own experience of being around rowers who are completely obsessed with rowing. Anyway, once a sport takes hold of you, you just want to be better at it. You want to tivo all the Olympic coverage. You get up at 4:30 in the morning when you've only had 2 hours of sleep. You read about it, think about it, and feel it as a core part of your identity. A sport, and the team you are ultimately part of, becomes like a large relationship for you. I am in a relationship with rowing, and the by product of that fact is that I'm in a very complex relationship with my rowing team and my coaches. When something goes wrong in crew, it bothers me like almost nothing else can.

Actually relevant question considering Oliver is making a cameo in a fic where he is very badly injured. I invented an incident where Death Eaters attacked a Quidditch game during the time the trio is running around in the forest in DH. Oliver is very badly hurt. The eventual outcome is that he can't play at the level he was playing at before his injury. Therefore, I think even though Oliver would try and come back to the game, he would have to settle for coaching in the end.

Who do you think contacted him about the Battle of Hogwarts? (He didn't have a Gold Galleon because he wasn't in the DA)

I'm sure he still had friends around, Harry was important to him, and everyone was rallying around Harry.

Hahaha. Not really there yet. Anyway, most people hair him with Angelina Johnson or Katie Bell because they both play Quidditch. I think that's a reasonable option because any girl would have to be sporty.

psijupiter

Hmm, maybe he felt a bit awkward when he started Hogwarts. Like you said, he seems quite sensitive! I imagine liking Quidditch is a good way to make friends and made him feel like a part of his house. Then, like MorganRay said, it just sort of took hold, and became an obsession! Being part of a team at school definately gives you sense of identity at a time in your life when you are changing and growning up. So I can see how easy it is for it to become the most important part of your life.

I can imagine him coaching, maybe at Hogwarts, but I can also imagine him being a referee. When my dad had to stop playing rugby he refereed, and then he got very involved in our local rugby club - fundraising, managing, and so on. I can see Oliver going back to the small local team he went to watch as a small child - probably a team who don't do very well in league - and coaching for them, as well as probably getting involved in coaching children in some kind of child-friendly version of Quidditch, like touch rugby. (Where there are no tackles - if some taps you on the hips that means you've been tackled and you have to drop/throw the ball.) I can imagine a very tame version of a bludger, and an easily found snitch, all played close to the ground on those toy broomsticks we see in GoF!

(Sorry, got a bit off track there!)

Black-Sand
    G'day

I don't think his that obsessed. It's just that he and Harry only ever talked about Quidditch so he wouldn't have known if Oliver had a life outside of Quidditch. What fulled the love for Quiddtich could be many things: From his parents having a love for it (I love the Bulldogs football team because my parents do), or he could just love the art that is the game

Become a couch or enter the Department Of Magical Games or whatever it's called.

The twins or one of his old Quidditch players. The Chasers seemed close with him, always joking at him. Yes at but he took it.

I'll let Terri know you've moved on from Sirius.

...xXxLove SandyxXx...

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Would Wood?

*Speculate on his love interest for me.*

I think that in order to catch the eye of Oliver Wood a girl would need to have a healthy interest in Quidditch. I don't know that she would need to be particularly sporty or actually play the game, but she couldn't be like Hermione- "Oh, there was a game? Good job." *Burries nose in book once more.* She would need to be supportive of her team (and it wouldn't hurt if that were the same team he supports/is on), show up to games, and actually try to understand all the Quidditch stuff that Wood goes on and on about- which means she would need to be pretty patient, because Wood has a never-ending supply of Quidditch fanatisism stored in his head.

Personally, I am more interested in how Wood would act when he fell for someone.

I think that throughout the books he is shown to be extremely dedicated, passionate person. Once he decides he wants something he will do everything he can possibly do to get it, and if he doesn't get it it is because something beyond his personal control prevented it.

If he turned all this dedication, passion and determination towards pursuing a young lady I think she would be hard-put to resist.

What do you think? What would Wood be like in love?

Fifth
    I think that if/when Oliver Wood falls in love, it will be quickly and deeply, no matter who it is, whether she plays Quidditch or not. And if he has kids, he will be the ultimate dad. He's very dedicated to what he loves and will do anything to make sure it stays the way he wants it to. I have two questions that sort of relate to this one.
    Do you think Oliver Wood could fall in love with a Muggle girl that was a soccer/football player in college/university?

And...

How would he react if he had a son and a daughter, but the son turned out to be a Muggle and the daughter ended up in Ravenclaw but played on the Quidditch team?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Do you think Oliver Wood could fall in love with a Muggle girl that was a soccer/football player in college/university?

Yes, I don't see why he wouldn't. He doens't have any prejudices against Muggles. However, I'd caution you to be careful with the cultural side of things here. I think that in the US you have all sorts of sports scolarships in the colleges/universities? We don't have them over here. You don't get scholarships to universities over here (note that they're not called colleges), and the only way the girl would play football would be if she was a member of the university team and football society, which is more of a social thing. It would be an extra-carricular activity.

How would he react if he had a son and a daughter, but the son turned out to be a Muggle and the daughter ended up in Ravenclaw but played on the Quidditch team?

Again, I don't think he'd mind. He hasn't got any prejudices against Muggles or Ravenclaws. He'd love his children and be happy with anything they chose to do. He may have been a fiercely competitive Gryffindor at school, but people change and I don't think he'd be angry if his daughter was sorted into a different house to the one he was in school.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I agree with Sarah on both points, but want to add that Women's football (soccer) is not a big thing over here. There are teams - usually affiliated to the big clubs - but you wouldn't find anyone making a living out of it. They're not professionals, for instance. Women's soccer is, I understand, pretty big in the US, but bear in mind that it isn't over here.

Regarding house prejudices. I think Oliver might have a problem with a child of his being Sorted into Slytherin because he did have an intense rivalry with them, but any other house and he'd be fine.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird