Thread: Hestia Jones

Ghoul in Pajamas

Hestia Jones

How old do you picture Hestia Jones being, and what does she look like? She was only ever described as a 'pink cheeked, black-haired witch' and only showed up with the Advance Guard in OotP and to pick up the Dursleys in DH.

wewillmissyou
    Well, I am going to use my insane logic here, so don't mock me if it seems like I am totally insane.

I'd assume they would only send advanced Aurors to get Harry, yeah? I mean Tonks was young, but she only became an Auror quite recentley (at that point). So maybe she could be mid-thirties, because to be decribed rosy-cheeked I doubt you would be older than forty (and also the fact thay she did not have grey or white hair).

As for what she looks like, I would say go wild. Make her fat or skinny, pretty or ugly, tall or short, whatever you fancy. The only thing is I would make sure she has scars from fighting.

Good Luck and hope I helped !

jenny b
    I've always imagined her as early thirties, and quite tall and slim. I don't necessarily think she would have scars from fighting, becuase at the moment I can't think of an Auror other than Moody with visible scars.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I'd forgotten I posted this *oops*

Thank you both! I agree on making her young, probably early-thirties. She's going to be short, thin, with a child-like face (that goes with the pink-cheeks, right?) I don't think I'll give her scars, because she's young and Moody's the only one I can think of with a lot. I would love further input on this!

MorganRay

Hestia

The only thing is I would make sure she has scars from fighting.
    I don't think this is necessarily true. I wrote something with Hestia in it, and I took some of my cues from her name. Here is a brief descriptor about Hestia, the goddess of the hearth:

When Apollo and Poseidon became suitors for her hand, she swore to remain a maiden forever, whereupon Zeus gave her the honour of presiding over all sacrifices. Though mainly a goddess of the family hearth and domestic life, she was sometimes also worshiped at the civic hearth in public buildings.
    She had Apollo AND Poseidon in love with her? To me, this seems to suggest someone who could have been torn between two worlds and never really comitted to one person completely. I can see her being in love with the 'right' guy in public, but then having a relationship with the 'wrong' guy in private. Therefore, she was never able to give her heart to either. She is also a goddess of domestic life, so I can see her as someone who is very down to earth and kind to people who may have not had a good home life. I put her in Hufflepuff and had her be someone who likes to garden.

Lovemagic
    The only thing is I would make sure she has scars from fighting.
    I agree with the scars, but they would have to be somewhere that people can't see them, otherwise it would be described in the books.

So maybe she could be mid-thirties, because to be decribed rosy-cheeked I doubt you would be older than forty (and also the fact thay she did not have grey or white hair).
    I also think she would be in her early thirties, and I imagined her with poofy black hair piled on top of her head. I always thought Hestia souded like Hepzibah (Smith), and we know that Hepzibah liked to put a ton of make-up on (especially Blush). So I always imagine she would wear pink noticeable blush and maybe lipstick. She would have to be tall and thin to fit with the hair and age. And she is an auror so she moves around a lot, burning those calories!

So she is young and pretty (no wrinkles) and I suppose she would be cautious and uncertain around muggles, but she is really friendly and curious on how the Dursleys' regular lifestyle is, and how they treat Harry. When she finds out, she will have a real temper.

Hayden

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I think she's like a mix of Neville and Tonks, in a way. I've always pictured her as a Hufflepuff who could have been in Gryffindor but is in Hufflepuff because of decisions made in her sorting. On the subject of scars, I think that JKR only ever describes scars if they are noticeable/important to the plot. After all, it would become tedious if she said things like 'Ron had a tiny scar on the back of his left hand from a mosquito bite he picked at when he was four.' Therefore, unless Hestia gets the scar in your story, or it fits in the criteria above, I don't find it nessecary to say anything.