Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hermione's Parents

Pidwigeon13
    Maybe they would be a little sceptical and might prefer her to marry a muggle as that is the world they know, and they, might fear her becoming even more detatched from them if she starts a family of her own.

But on the other hand if Hermionie has told them alot about Harry she must have told them alot about Ron, and they might be quite pleased that she is choosing a wizard who has fought alongside Harry for the rights and freedoms of muggles and muggleborns. So if she does choose to marry a wizard, somebody like Ron would be the most agreeable choice.

Wotcher-Tonks
    I think that they would be accepting once they saw how happy they are together.

Hermione's parents want the best for her, as evidenced by them allowing her to go to Hogwarts. Also, I am pretty sure they have met Ron and seen him a couple times, and they understand Hermione's whole-hearted devotion to him and Harry.

I am sure that she has regaled them with hundreds of tales,and knowing her talkativeness they are probably almost experts in Hogwarts. They may even have read Hogwarts, a History too, since they seem like people who wish to understand more about the world around them.

They may have seen the clues that we all have of a girl in love when she talks about him. I think they will be proud to walk her down the aisle.

Kcharles
    I think Hermione's parents would accept Hermione dating Ron, and marrying him with open arms. I don't think Hermione's parents would care that he's not a muggle, they're happy as long as Hermione's happy. They would have heard a lot about Ron for Hermione likely too, so they'd know a lot about him.

~Katherine

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by ron_chaser
    OK, I have a question on how Hermione's parents would act with Ron and Hermione's relationship. If Ron and Hermione became very serious, and it was "meet the parents" time for Ron, how do you think Mr. and Mrs. Granger would act? Is it feasible that Mr. Granger would be skeptical about Hermione becoming serious with a wizard, rather than a muggle? Would the situation be lighthearted or awkward and tense?
    I sincerely doubt that the Grangers (presumably with their memories restored) would object to Hermione dating a wizard. In fact they may well be relieved because as much as I'm sure they love their daughter, I'm sure there have been times when they had difficulty relating to her because they don't have magic, and Hermione does.

However, and I should preface this with the fact that I personally cannot stand Ronald Weasley, and the ONLY people in the entire Potterverse that I think are *worse* matches for her are Crabbe, Goyle and Crabbe Sr and Goyle Sr.

Hermione is very serious, studious, fastidious, proper and reserved. Ron, on the other hand, is loud obnoxious goofball and slob who couldn't care less for books and wants to sit around playing games all the time. I think if he went to her parents and more or less behaved *like himself*, her parents would be horrified, because he's such an abysmal candidate for her. Not because he's a wizard, but because Hermione and Ron have absolutely nothing in common as far as personality goes, and I think that situation would be very awkward and tense, and I'm not even sure Ron would know it because he's frequently oblivious to the inappropriateness of his behaviour.

type-n-shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters

Hermione is very serious, studious, fastidious, proper and reserved. Ron, on the other hand, is loud obnoxious goofball and slob who couldn't care less for books and wants to sit around playing games all the time. I think if he went to her parents and more or less behaved *like himself*, her parents would be horrified, because he's such an abysmal candidate for her. Not because he's a wizard, but because Hermione and Ron have absolutely nothing in common as far as personality goes, and I think that situation would be very awkward and tense, and I'm not even sure Ron would know it because he's frequently oblivious to the inappropriateness of his behaviour.
    Must they have everything in common? Couples work together to balance each other out - you know, "complete" one another. My mother is quiet, reserved, stubborn, tends to lean on the less communicative side, logical, methodical, etc. My dad is loud, confrontational, opinionated, impatient & hasty, emotional. They've been married for twenty-eight years, and I think they're perfect for each other. (If you want to know, my mother's parents did NOT like my Dad.) It may not look good on paper, but there really is no such thing as a "soul mate," it's who you choose to fall in love with and who you choose to make it work out with.

And Ronald does not want to sit around and play games all the time. Your depiction of him is when he is what, twelve? Thirteen? By the time the series ends, he is seventeen, and has matured significantly. He is loyal and caring, often solemn, and has a strong love for his family. In the midst of all the darkness he provides humor, and humor is NOT a childish trait; I personally think Hermione loved it about him.

I think her parents would have had to get used to Ron, and even perhaps disliked him at first, but would end up seeing that he really was perfect for their daughter. You could make the whole thing quite hilarious by making him blunder up in front of them. :P just a thought.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Ron has always displayed an interest in Hermione's life. Even in at the age of twelve he noticed Hermione's feelings for Gilderoy Lockhart. The jealousy he later displayed regarding Viktor Krum was obvious to everyone, even Harry. Before the ball he asks about her teeth, and her preparations for the ball. Afterwards, they fight. The only person who canít figure out what Ron was feeling was Ron.

Ron and Hermione are, despite their many differences, very good friends. In book three heís curious enough about her heavy course schedule that he actually tries to find out whatís going on (he tries to get Harry interested, but fails).

In book four heís worried about her campaign against Rita Skeeter, worried that it will backfire on her. He notices and comments on her eating habits. Heís blunt and unsubtle, (in other words Ė heís Ron) but he cares, he looks out for her, he tries to look after her. He nags her to eat better, he notices her appearance and tries to give her good advice.

Frankly, without Ron, Hermione would be a lonely workaholic, studying and fighting (in her own unsubtle way) for the causes she believes in. When he thinks that sheís wrong, Ron will tell her, and tell her bluntly. They argue, they certainly have a stormy relationship, but I think that itís a relationship of equals.

Ron is the youngest son of a forceful mother; he simply canít be quiet, if he is, heís ignored. Ron speaks his mind because thatís the way heís been brought up. People claim that heís lazy, thatís not true; he works, and works hard (sometimes). He worked very hard, in secret, to try to get onto the Quidditch team. He is prepared to put in hours of research in the library to help Harry. Schoolwork, admittedly, heís not so keen on, but give him something that heís interested in and he will work at it.

Ron is probably still wracked with self doubt after the battle, itís possible that he still thinks that heís not worthy of Hermione, but he has matured considerably in the last couple of books. Heís interested in Hermione (obviously) and, as I said above, he works at things heís interested in.

But to answer the question

Ron would, in my opinion be desperate to make a good impression on Hermioneís parents. I can imagine him being carefully schooled by Hermione about what he can and canít do or say, and I think that someone could make a very funny story about it.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

bluexroses
    I imagine that Hermione's parents would be apprehensive at first about her dating a wizard, simply because they don't know much at all about the magical world. I can't remember which book it was in, but when the students are arriving back in London for summer, Hermione's parents are at the station waiting for her, and they are described as visibly uncomfortable. At the first "meet the parents" visit, I could see Mr. and Mrs. Granger feeling a bit awkward around Ron, but once he works his Weasley charm they would certainly warm up to the idea.

I always got the impression that Hermione's parents were very understanding people. Judging by Hermione's zeal for SPEW, she has probably been brought up to be very tolerant and respectful of people who are different. Thus, I don't think her parents would have any long-lasting reservations about Hermione and Ron's relationship solely because of the fact that he is a wizard.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    We know as dentists, Hermione's parents were probably pretty well off financially. Do you think they would have sent their daughter to boarding school even if she hadn't been accepted to Hogwarts? We saw that Dudley goes to boarding school, and I have heard that it's a lot more commonplace in Britain than it is in the U.S.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    It is more common here than in the US but it's still not the norm. As in the majority of students would not go to boarding school. However she doesn't express any concern for it so maybe she was expecting to board anyway (the people I know who went to a secondary boarding school were very nervous). Hope that helps.
    Banner by Minna.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, what sort of kids normally go to boarding school? We know Dudley went because it was the school his father went to, and I suppose that if Hermione's mother went to boarding school, Hermione would probably go to the same. Is boarding school a legacy thing or more accessable than that?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!