Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sports?

  1. #1
    elleve
    Guest

    Sports?

    I'd like to know if there exists any other sport than Quidditch in the Wizarding World? I'm kind of unsure.

  2. #2
    red haired mom
    Guest
    Hi elleve,

    There are a few sports in the wizarding world, and quite a few games.

    Sports--
    Quidditch of course,
    Winged Horse Racing,
    Triwizard Tournament,
    Aingingein is a sport played on brooms with flaming hoops and a ball called a Dom,
    Creaothceann involves brooms, cauldrons and hundreds of falling rocks and bludgers. That one was banned in1762.
    Broom races is Sweden.
    An American version of Quidditch called Quodpot which has eleven players per side and an exploding ball.
    Shuntbumps is similar to jousting
    Stichstock ancient game involving a dragon's bladder and a 20 ft pole
    Swivenhodge involves a pigs bladder and hitting it back and forth, still played today.
    Head Juggling for the Headless Hunt
    Head Polo for the same


    Games would include Wizards Chess, Gobstones, and Duelling.

    I hope that helped. You may find these I listed in Quidditch Through the Ages and on the Lexicon. There are a few more, but I listed most of them here.

    ~Wendy

  3. #3
    elleve
    Guest
    Wow! I was pretty sure that Quidditch was the only sport. Boy, was I wrong! Thanks so much for your help, red haired mom.

  4. #4
    Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Neville's Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Under the name of Sanders
    Posts
    89
    I vaguely remember something about "Exploding Snap" from one of the books. I'm not sure what it is though.

  5. #5
    Ghoul in Pajamas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville's Girl
    I vaguely remember something about "Exploding Snap" from one of the books. I'm not sure what it is though.
    Exploding Snap is a card game they always play on the Hogwart's Express.

    That's cool there are so many more games! I always figured Wizards would have more sports than just Quidditch but they weren't in the books so I didn't think about it much.

  6. #6
    Lily Windsor
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoul in Pajamas
    Exploding Snap is a card game they always play on the Hogwart's Express.

    That's cool there are so many more games! I always figured Wizards would have more sports than just Quidditch but they weren't in the books so I didn't think about it much.
    Do Americans play Snap? When I was in the States working at summer camp a few months ago we actually taught the kids to play it which is strange because its such a common card game.

    Snap is a card game which can be played with two people or more. You put a card down and the next player puts a card down on top and so on. If your card you put down matches the card the last person puts down you have to yell 'Snap' before your opponents do. If you yell 'snap' first then you get to keep all the cards in the pile. the object of the game is to win all the cards.

    I'm assuming Exploding Snap is when the cards blow up in your face when they match. lol

    I'm hopeless at the game because i have such slow reflexes but its a common card game played by kids.

  7. #7
    thesims
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Windsor
    Snap is a card game which can be played with two people or more. You put a card down and the next player puts a card down on top and so on. If your card you put down matches the card the last person puts down you have to yell 'Snap' before your opponents do. If you yell 'snap' first then you get to keep all the cards in the pile. the object of the game is to win all the cards.
    Well I'm an American, but from the south. We play a game similar to that but it's called Egyptian Rat Screw. Instead of yelling 'snap', you put your hand on top of the cards before anyone else, that way it's easier to tell who went first. There are also other ways of getting cards. One way is by slapping a sandwich, where you have for example a nine, then someone lays down a two, and the next person lays down another nine, you can slap that because it's a sandwich. That's just how I play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •