Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Peter Pettigrew

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

He at least does by the time of Voldemort's second rising - as Voldemort touches it to call the other Death Eaters. I really don't know if he's had it before then though.. I suppose it would make sense though. I'm not sure that Voldemort could have had the strength to put the Mark there in his half-alive-form. But then again, he was strong enough to hold a wand and kill the gardener at the Riddle house.

It just seems most logical to me that once Peter gave Lily and James' position to Voldemort, he would have been given the Dark Mark. For Peter, betraying his friends would have been to show where his loyalty was - if Voldemort had succeeded. So perhaps that was his last task before he was worthy of the Mark in Voldemorts eyes. He would probably have given him the Mark before he went to the Potters so that Peter can celebrate Voldemort's Victory properly with all the other true DE's.

It just feels like this makes most sense to me. Seeing how (in Voldemort's eyes at that point) Peter gave him the most relevant information to fulfil the prophecy and kill Harry, he probably did deserve the Dark Mark.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Thanks Kara! I forgot about that graveyard scene. I couldn't remember if he had one or now, but if he did I was going to have it that Voldie gave it to him when Peter gave him the information on the Potters. I think any sooner and it would have been too risky.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quick question:

Do you think it's believable that Peter played Quidditch for Gryffindor?

I have him as Beater in my story. He's not a very good player, but he's not one of the worst, either. He's only been playing since sixth year, when he finally tried out after years of wanting to because of James's success. I just want to know if this works, as Peter is a very hard character for me to write and I want to get him right.

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    For me, he's kind of like Ron. A nervous person in front of crowds. If you make him seem clumsy but good, I think that would be believable. Especially if he was a reserve beater.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Interesting.

I'm about to have him and Sirius try out for the Gryffindor team in my Marauder story, Lions of Gryffindor. James is captain and he's very wary about it.

Right, I don't think it's unheard of that Peter would be on the team. He's supposed to be small, but I think Peakes is described as small but aims well. I wouldn't make him Keeper - they generally seem to be big, but he could reasonably play any position.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Thanks guys! I'm keeping him as Beater, though he's not really the best player.

Interesting you pointed out that he's like Ron, Dinny...I've always kind of thought that, too. Except Ron's more loyal, but the way he's jealous of Harry's fame and everything? Very Peter-ish

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. I'm not about Peter being like Ron. Ron's jealousy is always very basic; he wants some of the attention Harry gets. I think Peter is more complex than that. I don't think he's overly jealous of James and Sirius, although there must have been a bit of envy there at times. He wants their protection and their inclusion; Ron likes Harry because he's a decent person, not because he sees hanging round with him as getting a bit of fame for himself.

I'dd add more, but I'm starving and in need of breakfast.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    I agree with Evora that Peter's position on the Quidditch team would be especially believable if he were on the reserve team. To make it work with your fic, he could've been on the reserve team in the past but been brought on to play regularly because something had happened to one of the regular beaters. I think having Peter be on the team because he's that good would give him a level of self-confidence (and, perhaps, the ability to deny the advances of the DEs) I wouldn't usually see him having. But, if you pulled him off the reserve team, he could question whether he really deserved to be on the team, whether he'd been chosen just because James was his best friend or because he was the least terrible of the reserves, if it would be his fault if Gryffindor did poorly, etc. That exacerbated vulnerability is easily something the DEs could play off.

What year is your fic set in? If Peter tried out in sixth, maybe he could've been placed on the reserve team then and put on the proper team either right away or seventh year when he'd stopped hoping he'd be needed in a game (in any case, he wouldn't necessarily have much experience).

Peter vs. Ron - I agree that, on a very basic level, they share some similarities. The biggest difference is that Ron is able to overcome his insecurities and resentment, and Peter is not. Both are in Gryffindor, both feel outshined, and both betray their friends; ultimately, Ron chooses his friends over his flaws, and Peter gives in to his doubt. Ron also has certain things at which he is gifted - chess, for example - and we don't know of any such individual talents in Peter (so far as I know). I imagine having a talent all his own is one reason why Ron is able to overcome what Peter cannot. Also, at the beginning of their friendship, Ron is pretty much introducing Harry to the Wizarding world - and when do we ever see Peter leading James or Sirius into anything, or introducing them to something? Another aspect is probably their family life and the way they were brought up. Hmm... Reading some of the earlier posts, I picture Peter as being decent at most things, but not extraordinary at any one thing.

Hope my rambles are somewhat helpful.

~Ari
    iBeta. iWrite. iDrabble.

A big thank you to Ari (A. H.) for these gorgeous banners!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Quote Originally Posted by Royari
    What year is your fic set in? If Peter tried out in sixth, maybe he could've been placed on the reserve team then and put on the proper team either right away or seventh year when he'd stopped hoping he'd be needed in a game (in any case, he wouldn't necessarily have much experience).
    1977, during the Marauders' last year at Hogwarts. I think I'll do something like that, with Peter finally getting the courage to try out sixth year only to be put on the reserve team by James...only to get placed on the actual team in year seven.

That was really, really helpful by the way! A really great psychological insight as to Peter's insecurities and such . I feel like I should have a really long response to all those great ideas, but...I can't think of one except for: Thank you so much!!

xx Ariana xx

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    1977, during the Marauders' last year at Hogwarts. I think I'll do something like that, with Peter finally getting the courage to try out sixth year only to be put on the reserve team by James...only to get placed on the actual team in year seven.
    Sounds good!

That was really, really helpful by the way! A really great psychological insight as to Peter's insecurities and such . I feel like I should have a really long response to all those great ideas, but...I can't think of one except for: Thank you so much!!
    You're very welcome! No long response needed, just glad to help.

Hmm... Do you think Peter understood that his friends would be willing to die for him but at that point was so sick of being looked down on and taken for granted and feeling worthless that he didn't care, or do you think he completely believed that his 'friends' didn't care one whit about him? Also, when do you think the Death Eaters first started courting him, and how long do you think it took him to give in?

~Ari

(Sorry if any of these have been asked before, but my computer is being mean and won't let me check. Urgh.)
    iBeta. iWrite. iDrabble.

A big thank you to Ari (A. H.) for these gorgeous banners!