Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Pettigrew

kumydabookworm
    I'd also like to mention that the Malfoy family is affluent. Everyone would know about this party, I believe, because everyone would want to marry Amelia (she's rich...).

Pettigrew's true identity is still hidden. He's still, on the surface, the best friend of the Potters. It would be highly suspicious if he were to show up at the Malfoys' party. It would probably blow his cover.

Second, Pettigrew is someone Malfoy looks down on. He's snivelly, and weak, and whiny, and not-so-affluent. I doubt Malfoy would want to be associated with Pettigrew, someone who once had close relations with the Potters.

Finally, I can see Pettigrew wanting to go to this party. He likes to surround himself with powerful people. Of course he'd want to be at a party with many rich, powerful, and well-known people!

He may not be the most social man, but he does try to win the favor of those he thinks are the strongest in the game. This is conducive to him wanting to go to the party, but I don't think the Malfoys would want to invite him AND it would blow his cover as a spy.

Kumy

Cecile

Peter dying..?

hey guys! I'm not sure it's exactly the right place to put this, but I'll just do it. What do you think of Peter dying in the last book? I mean, Harry saved hin life in the third book and if I remember well, Lupin said something that Peter will have to do something for harry because he saved him. Eveyone is discussing the characters who'll die in the last book, but Pettigrew is never mentionned...

Dumbledore Prince
    Quote Originally Posted by wandaXmaximoff
    I was wondering, would Lucius invite Pettigrew to this party? I imagen, because it's a year before Voldemort's downfall, that Pettigrew would be a Death Eater at the time and Lucius would know him. Pettigrew is two years older than Amelia, so I don't see age being an issue.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Lucius wouldn't invite Pettigrew because Pettigrew is *supposed* to be on Dumbledore's side. Not only that, Lucius wouldn't want to be seen with Pettigrew because he's not exactly a very able Death Eater. I mean, look at Snape's attitude towards him in HBP. Most Death Eaters would never treat him on par with them. Voldemort agreed to be helped by Pettigrew because he didn't have a choice.

If Pettigrew were to be married with Lucius' niece, then Lucius and Narcissa (not to forget the girl herself) would be a laughing stock among fellow Death Eaters.

Edit: Cecile, this is not the forum to discuss about Book Seven speculation. I think the Room of Requirement is better suited for such theories. However, you'll be able to see the Room of Requirement only when you've been sorted. Welcome to the forums!

Sly Severus
    Originally Posted by wandaXmaximoff
    I was wondering, would Lucius invite Pettigrew to this party? I imagen, because it's a year before Voldemort's downfall, that Pettigrew would be a Death Eater at the time and Lucius would know him. Pettigrew is two years older than Amelia, so I don't see age being an issue.
    What are your thoughts?
    I'm not so sure that Lucius would know him. I know that Peter was a Death Eater, but I always had the impression that the other Death Eaters didn't know it. I think that Peter only reported to the Dark Lord, and no one else. It just seems to me that if all the Death Eaters knew about Peter, and knew that he was the one who led their master to the Dark Lord that night, one of them would have let something slip at some point. I don't think the truth about Peter would have stayed hidden so long if the other Death Eaters knew about him.

And even if I'm wrong, and Lucius did know Peter, he would never allow his niece to marry him. Peter is not high class. He's not rich. I doubt very much that he's a pureblood. I don't think Lucius would let him in his house, or near his niece. After all, the guy does look like a rat, rather transformed or not. That is not the type of person who would be allowed to marry a Malfoy.

Lily Windsor
    Okay, I'd like some help. What are your thoughts on Peter in his first year? I'm terrible at writing Peter, and it seems loads of people are, because in many fics I read he seems to have no personality. I mean, he was sorted into Gryffindor and he did befriend James and Sirius, so despite his obvious ignorance, I would assume that he did have at least a few strong points.

I want to write about him as a person and not as a cardboard cut out, so I was hoping that someone could give me their feelings on what his personality would most likely have been like, and where his strengths would lie. What would be his best subject? I do not think it would be Transfiguration, Potions or Herbology. I just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dumbledore Prince
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Windsor
    What are your thoughts on Peter in his first year?

I want to write about him as a person and not as a cardboard cut out, so I was hoping that someone could give me their feelings on what his personality would most likely have been like, and where his strengths would lie. What would be his best subject? I do not think it would be Transfiguration, Potions or Herbology. I just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm glad that you want to stay away from the Invisible!Wormtail stereotype. I haven't written a Marauder-era fic myself, so I don't have experience in this regard. Nevertheless, I'll try to help a little ...

If you want to give him depth, then be sure to portray emotions other than him cheering the rest of the Marauders and wetting himself every two seconds. I can see Peter as a relatively shy person in comparison with the other Marauders, but bold enough to be reckoned as part of the group. So, there would have been a few instances where he would have outshined James, Sirius and Lupin; such that he would have gained recognition as part of the group. But since he was the least prominent Marauder, he would have faced more ridicule than the rest.

Sorry to contradict you, but I do see Transfiguration as one of his strong subjects. That's the only way his Animagus transformations can be explained. It would be more plausible for his Transfiguration skills to improve gradually.

I think most of you may not agree with me, but I think that he might have been the first among the three Animagi to master his transformation. I'm well aware that a wizard's Animagus and Patronus depend on their personality and that it takes years to perfect the art. Anyway, Peter's animal form is much smaller than Padfoot's or Prongs'; so it would have been quicker and easier to perfect.

As for Potions and Herbology, I think you have more leeway there.

Lily Windsor
    Thank you for your reply. What you have said is very helpful.

Sorry to contradict you, but I do see Transfiguration as one of his strong subjects. That's the only way his Animagus transformations can be explained. It would be more plausible for his Transfiguration skills to improve gradually.
    I'd never thought of this before. That is such an interesting way to see it. The reason I thought he couldn't have been great at Transfiguration was because of how complex the subject is supposed to be, although that is an error of mine right there because that is such an obvious stereotype!Peter. The other reason was that Transfiguration was James' best subject, so I didn't really want it to be Peter's as well. But thank you, your views are very valid.

EDIT: Just want to add. Didn't Sirius say something about how they had to help Pettigrew along whilst they were studying to be Animagi? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that was stated in PoA.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Well, I think Peter was probably a friendly person. I think he probably had a decent sense of humor and a bit of a mischievous and sneaky streak. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have gotten to be a Marauder. I also think his Animagus form hints at much more than just him eventually ‘ratting out his friends’. Rats, nasty though their reputation is, are supposed to be very intelligent, social creatures.

I do think he was easily impressed and wanted to be part of the in-crowd, so to speak. He did show quite a fanboyish attitude towards James and the snitch. Still, while being impressed with James and Sirius, he couldn’t have been too obvious or they wouldn’t have had any respect for him. So, it would have been there, but not to the extreme that it becomes really annoying. Sirius wouldn’t have put up with it if it were too much. Peter was someone that they must have liked and respected. Personally, I like to hint at him being impressed with them, and his desire to be popular like his friends, but not show any overtly hostile jealousy over it, or make him appear to be a worthless fanboy tagalong.

I don’t think he was ignorant at all. I think he was quite clever really. I think he may have struggled with some things. I don’t think book smarts were his strong suit, as he even had trouble with the werewolf question when, “You run ‘round with a werewolf once a month.” But, I think this might have been brought on by laziness or simply neglectfulness. I think he might have been so keen to be like James and Sirius that he would neglect his studies to spend time with them. They didn’t need to study nearly as much as he probably did, since they were so bright, and so he didn’t get the time in that he needed.

Now about specific classes…He wasn’t supposed to be great at dueling; so I wouldn’t make him be very good at DADA. However, he outsmarted Sirius on that street, so he couldn’t have been a total dim wit. Still, I think he simply out witted Sirius and took him completely off guard during a time of great emotional weakness. That is clever in itself, and shows a great deal of composure on Peter’s part.

I see no reason for him to be weak in Transfiguration. After all, he managed to become an Animagus at a very young age. He might have needed help from James and Sirius, but it doesn’t change the fact that he mastered what would seem to be the most complicated form of Transfiguration there is, at the age of 15-16. That is impressive.

Also, he might have been good at Potions as well. In my own story, I have him do poorly in this subject, but only because I needed an open seat in the class. Personally, I think he might have done all right in it. He did concoct the potion that restored Voldemort to his body. Of course, for my story, I argue that he had Voldemort telling him exactly what to do…so it could go either way. He still had to do it himself.

He also managed to hide his treachery from everyone, including Dumbledore. That is no small feat. I would steer very clear from writing Peter as an idiot. I’d let some things get bye him and show his friends teasing him from time to time, but remember how things ultimately play out. He is the one who pulls off an amazing bit of treachery. That takes skill, nerve, cleverness, and pretty good acting. No, whatever else Peter might be, I don’t think he is stupid.

Peter is a much more interesting character when shown as a good friend to the other Marauders. It makes his betrayal so much more poignant. It is also a great insult to the other Marauders to show him as a worthless, obviously evil person who was barely hiding his Death Eater activities. They would have known.

edit: So, in posting too much, someone beat me to it. I think it is unlikely that Peter mastered the Animagus transformation first, though. Lupin does say he needed all the help he could get. But we agree that Transfiguration would be something he was good at, none the less.

edit: You are welcome. If it isn't obvious, I think about MWPP way too much! I'm glad if it could help!

Lily Windsor
    Thanks so much moonymaniac. That was a fantastic post! You've given me a lot to think about.

kask
    I have a few questions about Peter.

How do you think he feels about his betrayal? He is obviously still faithful to Voldemort, so he can't be too remorseful, but do you think he feels badly at all? Peter was responsible for the death of one of his best friends (James), Lily, and almost Harry. Sirius was also put in jail for thirteen years and was on the run for his remaining time because of him. Do you think he feels any guilt or regret? Before giving the information to Voldemort, do you think he went through any internal struggle with himself or didn't even care? Do you think he ever thinks about what he did or is haunted by it at all? When he's waiting on Severus Snape, stuck in his home getting wine like a servant, do you think he ever wishes he didn't do what he did and chose a different path? I need help characterizing Peter. He likes to be on the winning side, with powerful people to protect him, but do you think he has any morals of his own? He obviously doesn't have the same sense of friendship, loyalty and bravery that James, Sirius and Remus all had, but do you think he did care about the other Marauders, appreciate their friendship and love them like brothers at one point?