Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Pettigrew

woomama

Peter Pettigrew

In my story, Regrets , Hermione doesn't realize that she saw the instructions for a certain potion that Voldemort desperately wants to brew in order to take down the Order of the Phoenix and end the war once and for all.

Voldemort thinks she has the information but doesn't know for sure, and is going to send Peter in to try and retrieve it from her. Voldemort knows that force is not going to accomplish his goal, so he is going to try finesse. Believing that Snape has built up at least a minor rapport with Hermione during their time in the cottage, and even while trying to keep her off balance by making her think that Snape still works for the side of evil, Peter is going to be polyjuiced into Snape and sent back in.

I need assistance with how Peter would portray Snape. I need a well-rounded view, from anger to attempts at coercion. I will also have Hermione figuring it out in the end, just before Peter leaves the cottage. I was thinking maybe a tic, like Barty Crouch Jrs tongue thing. Maybe Peter could have a rat-like nose twitch or something like that. Something that Snape would obviously not have, that could give the deception away.

I hope that I am posting this in the right place now, since I was told that I posted in the wrong place when I had it in Skele-Gro Plot Potion.

JaneA
    I'm pretty sure this is the right place to put this, since it deals with a canon's character characterization.

I would think that Peter feels jealousy towards Snape. He probably thinks that while he gave a hand (amongst other things) for Voldemort, Snape did nothing, just taught at Hogwarts, thinking that the "Dark Lord" had vanished forever.

Inside, though, I'm sure that Peter is curious, with a moderate amount of admiration for Snape. Why curious? Because he's in that in-between position, no one really trusts him, and yet he has the trust of both Voldemort and Dumbledore. Admiration for that very same reason.

You can get a good background of what Peter thinks of Snape in Spinner's End, in which you can see the resentment he feels towards him.

Hope this helped, and good luck!

kumydabookworm
    I think Pettigrew resents Snape...I wouldn't call it jealousy. I believe he feels that way because Snape is a) ranked higher than him in Voldemort's favor and b) got to live the safe life at Hogwarts while Pettigrew was tending to Voldemort.

However, I also believe that Pettigrew cherishes his memories of Hogwarts where he was better than Snape and in a position of power over him. He may remember Snape as the snivelly little boy he was back at Hogwarts, as well.

How will this affect how he portrays Snape? Well, he's going to try to act like him, which means he's going to follow his own impressions of the man.

I believe Peter's impressions of Snape are as follows:

1) Snape is arrogant and cold.
    2) Snape is someone to be feared.
    3) Snape is somewhat lazy.
    4) Snape is good at getting into favor with people.
    5) Snape is well-versed in the Dark Arts. He's also good at deception.

All of that will affect how he (acting as Snape) will be angry and attempy to coerce Hermione into it.

---

As for Peter's giveaway. Remember that hand Voldemort gave him after OOTP? I think that could give him away. Because it's magically created, it would have a weird effect when combined wtih the Polyjuice Potion...maybe shine through it, or retain its super power (it could crush branches, remember?).

Kumy

Vindictus Viridian
    I finally found the Celtic reference related to Peter's silver hand; the search term you want is "Nuada," a king of the Tuatha D Danann. This might give you some insights into Peter's inner conflicts. Or perhaps not; Nuada appears to have been pretty consistently a good-guy type.

The other person who has written a character with a silver hand of superhuman strength is Michael Moorcock; do with that whatever you like.

Insecurity
    Just remember that Peter isn't as intelligent, isn't as manipulative and isn't as subtle in his behaviour as Snape. Whilst many people do under-estimate him, he's not someone who I think could pull off being someone else effectively. Yes, he managed to become an animagus, but that was with the support of his more intelligent friends and it truly rflected his personality. Having said that, I do think he'd be persuasive enough for Hermione to believe he is Snape initially, seeing as she is still very shaken up and confused in your story. However, she's a very inquisitve person and whilst at first Peter might be able to answer any of these questions, the more she wants to flush out of 'Snape' the harder it will become for him. He won't be able to provide Hermione with the same witty, sardonic responses as Snape, and she may wonder why.

However, I do think Pettigrew is right for this task seeing as he did spend a long time (however much time as you wish to give him) living with Snape, and I do think Peter is a very observant character. No doubt he spent a long time in school observing the Marauders. Whether or not he can effectively emulate the behaviour he's observed by Snape is another question.

I'llbe honest, this is a plotline that could quite easily run into OOCness. But, I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen and I am confident that you will too

woomama
    So tell me what you all think of this:

Peter shows up in the cottage polyjuiced into Snape. Knowing that he can't imitate him completely, he relies on Snapes nastiness. He shows none of Snapes previous depression, and rants and raves at Hermione demanding information on the Order and specifically a potion that she was researching. She is frightened by this extreme version of Snape and a bit confused by his questioning, since they had already gone over it. But when it comes to the potion, she really starts to wonder because she was researching a potion he made.

Now I am not really sure what to do about the hand. I realize that it is magically formed and since there is no Canon information on how it would react to polyjuice, I will assume that it will be hidden but with it's same properties. Maybe as Kumy suggested it can be a give away when he grabs for something and accidentally crushes it.

It's not going to be a really long confrontation as I don't think I can sustain it very long and will be relying heavily on my lovely Laura to drag me back from OOC-ness.

Keep the suggestions coming. I can use all the help I can get at this point. I am really nervous about this next chapter.

kumydabookworm
    I think you're doing fine. The extreme version of Snape is very accurate.

Peter, as I've said before, is intimidated and envious of Snape. A person's personal feelings towards someone affect how they see the other person. Pettigrew, being intimidated and envious, probably notices these qualities about Snape.

1) His nastiness
    2) His sharp wit
    3) His way of getting out of sticky situations (like Bellatrix's questioning)
    4) His skill in deception

All of those are things Pettigrew would be intimidated by or envious of, so those are the things he will attempt to portray while pretending to be Snape. Out of all those characteristics, the only one that is appropriate to show under the circumstances is Snape's nastiness. The others Pettigrew is either incapable of showing (sharp wit) or isn't appropriate (skill in deception - well, Pettigrew isn't looking to deceive Hermione as Snape, just get information out of her).

The faking-of-Snape-by-Pettigrew in your plot, therefore is accurate. The only thing I would have a problem with is that Snape rarely shouts. The only time I have seen him do that is the Occlumency lesson with Harry when Harry went into Snape's memories. Pettigrew, being the observant character that he is, would notice that Snape doesn't shout (he's more likely to hiss). So the yelling bit is a bit OOC. I would suggest he spend the whole time hissing at Hermione vs. yelling at her.

Finally, I do think it'd be a good giveaway if Pettigrew (while focusing so hard on acting like Snape) accidentally crushed something he was holding in his magical hand. This would be the physical giveaway. Then coupled with the mental giveaway (Pettigrew-Snape asking about a potion Snape himself created) would give Hermione valid reasons to suspect.

Of course, then, she would figure it out. She's Hermione.

Good luck!

Kumy

wandaXmaximoff
    I have a question about Peter. In my story Lucius and Narcissa have decided to throw a party to find a suitor for their niece, Amelia. The story is set in the late 80's, just a year before Voldemort's downfall. I was wondering, would Lucius invite Pettigrew to this party? I imagen, because it's a year before Voldemort's downfall, that Pettigrew would be a Death Eater at the time and Lucius would know him. Pettigrew is two years older than Amelia, so I don't see age being an issue.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks

Periwinkle
    I think you got the dates mixed up, because if it was a year before Voldemort's downfall, then the year would be 1980, and not the late '80s.

Harry was born in 1980, Voldemort fell in the year 1981. So, to have it be a year before Voldemort's downfall, the year would have to be 1980.

To be quite honest, I can't imagine Pettigrew wanting to come to a party, much less being invited. If he were indeed invited, I can see him turning down the invitation. I don't think he has the gumption and self-assurance to be among others, not when he knows he has betrayed the Marauders and is a spy for Voldemort.

Also, wouldn't Lucius want the best possible suitor for his niece? I don't imagine he'd want someone like Pettigrew for Amelia. He'd seek a more respectable person, with higher skills etc.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

wandaXmaximoff
    Yeah, I did mean 1980, I think I accidently wrote the late 80's, as I was originally going to write late 70's.
    I see your point about Lucius wanting someone better for Amelia actuallly, I just wanted someone to be at the party who leered over Amelia and she is repulsed by him. I was thinking Pettigrew, but I'm sure I can find someone better.
    The other reason I asked, was to check how Peter would fell about been invited. Again you're right. I guess he wouldn't want to accosiate with Lucius because of his guilt over betraying Lily and James.
    I'll just have to have a think about who else can be at the party.
    Thanks for your help.