Thread: Periods at Hogwarts (Sensitive Topic)

CakeorDeath

Periods at Hogwarts (Sensitive Topic)

What do you think the procedure is when girls find that they have started there periods.

It is for a next generation fic I am writing. Do you think Madam Pomfrey or there head of house talks to them?

Come anwser!

A Cappella
    I think Madam Pomfrey would talk to them. I don't think it'd be a head of house because some HoH's are male, and that would be...awkward for the poor little girl. And as Madam Pomfrey is the nurse, it would make the most sense.

Hope this helps!
    Murray

Snape's Talon
    It is not all together that uncommon for girls to start their menstrual cycle earlier than age 11. Some of the girls might already have started puberty. For those who have not, I can easily see them turning to their Head of House, if in Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, or one their female House Prefects.

For a Slytherin, well, I don't think menstrual cycles would necessarily squick Snape out. It's a simple fact of life. He'd probably send them off to Pomfrey, though.

Finally, don't schools in England cover this as part of health class? Here in the US, I remember it was covered in class in the fifth grade. Of course, that was back in, oh 1979 or 1980. o.O

MissPurplePen
    LOL, Sandy, they definitely still cover it! I learned about it all in around fourth or fifth grade as well. However, I think it's rather safe to assume that not all children who go to Hogwarts would have gone to regular Muggle school beforehand. Pure-blood families would probably do some sort of homeschooling, if anything, before Hogwarts... sending your wizarding child to Muggle school would be optional. We can only be sure that Muggleborns like Hermione would have actually gone to real school before Hogwarts - and therefore had the opportunity to learn about puberty in school.

I think that the responsibility would lie mostly with the girl's parents, honestly. I can't see a mother shipping her eleven-year old off to boarding school without giving her any knowledge of what huge, scary thing may happen very soon. But yes, even if the girl DID know about puberty and all that jazz, and she did start her period at Hogwarts, away from her mother, I agree that she would probably go to Madam Pomfrey or her house's female prefect.

bewitching

Well,

Well, I can sort of answer this from a weird point of veiw. I go to a summer camp every summer, and there are times when a girl will start her period whilst at camp. An miore often than not, they turn to one of us older girls.

I've never really had to explaining anything much other than "Don't flush the pad/tampon." Because most have had sex education already. I remember that I had sex education start at my school in 3rd grade. I expect it would be the same, and, if the girls had any questions about the physical workings, either an older girl would explain, or Madam Pomfrey.

babekitty_92
    Yeah, I would definitely agree that most girls would turn to someone they felt comfortable to help them out, such as a female Professor, Prefect/Head Girl or Madam Pomfrey. I'm sure no matter which Professor they talked to, regardless male or female, would be mature enough and deal with it professionally.

And I would think by the time they started at Hogwarts, they would've learned from someone about puberty, whether it's from schooling, parent/guardians or even girl magazines (they tend to have "sealed sections" regarding different things like this). In Australia we learned about periods and puberty in grade 5 or 6, so normally kids should know about it by the ages of 10-12.

Hey, just thinking about it... I wonder, would the girls toilets have those little vending machines that do sell tampons and pads? In a lot of public places they have them and in some schools they do as well to save embarrassment of going to the teachers, so I wonder if Hogwarts would have something like that... Hmmm...

Abbi

Snape's Talon
    Along those lines, Abbi, how about undergarments charmed with a Vanishing spell? No mess, no fuss. Works for twenty-four hours and then you dispose of it.

cmwinters
    Oh man, there was an absolutely fantastic thread along these lines that must have gotten deleted in the forum clean-up, which is really a shame because it should have been saved.

I agree that menstruation is not likely to squick out Snape, OR Flitwick for that matter. Both are grown men who have been in their positions as Head of House for many years. Additionally, Snape was a Death Eater and a Potions Master, and Flitwick a master duelist; these are men who have seen blood (and god only knows what else) before. I really can't imagine any Headmaster or Headmistress of Hogwarts hiring anyone for Head of House who would run squealing away at the mention of a normal bodily function to be in loco parentis 24 * 7 * 10 months a year * 7 years of a person's most formative years during which time they are most likely to hit puberty. I mean . . . not terribly smart.

Having said that, there are several options. Aside from the Heads of House and Madam Pomfrey, I'd assume all the other teachers (including Madam Hooch, Hagrid, Professor Trelawney, Professor Sinistra, Professor Babbling, Professor Burbage, etc) who would be prepared to deal with this.

Additionally, this would likely fall into the responsibilities of the prefects and the Head Girl.

As far as hygiene products go, I can absolutely see a cabinet of some sort in the girls lavs, stocked by house elves, with the requisite materials.

Now, where it gets really interesting is when you bring magic into it, and start bringing potions and charms into it, and wonder if there are spells the girls can cast to speed up the process (so it only takes a few minutes instead of a few days) or potions they can take to speed up or even temporarily eliminate the process.

babekitty_92
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Along those lines, Abbi, how about undergarments charmed with a Vanishing spell? No mess, no fuss. Works for twenty-four hours and then you dispose of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CM
    Now, where it gets really interesting is when you bring magic into it, and start bringing potions and charms into it, and wonder if there are spells the girls can cast to speed up the process (so it only takes a few minutes instead of a few days) or potions they can take to speed up or even temporarily eliminate the process.
    Yeah, CM, I think we were actually talking about that in the last huge conversation that was in here, because a lot of people were curious as to whether there would be the sanitary bins in certain toilets and whatnot. Personally, I think there would be in EVERY toilet because it's not like Primary/elementary school where it's mainly only the grade 5-6's girls that could possibly get their period. The girls in Hogwarts are 11-18 and therefore you would think practically all of them know about puberty and what-not by then.

Also, with the the vanishing charms and potions and what-not, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. I'm sure there would have been a spell/potion to help with it.

Another thing though with the potions - could it be possible that the potions could be designed like some contraceptive pills/injections where it can eleminate having a period while on it? Like, it would be an exellent method, mainly for the "older" part of the school who could possibly be considering having sex, which I am sure does happen. I dunno, it's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CM
    As far as hygiene products go, I can absolutely see a cabinet of some sort in the girls lavs, stocked by house elves, with the requisite materials.
    Yeah, that probably would work better I think. The only thing is, would kids abuse it? Like for instance, taking them for a nasty prank? Just a thought as I know people have used pads/tampons/liners for some very nasty pranks.

Abbi

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by babekitty_92
    Another thing though with the potions - could it be possible that the potions could be designed like some contraceptive pills/injections where it can eleminate having a period while on it? Like, it would be an exellent method, mainly for the "older" part of the school who could possibly be considering having sex, which I am sure does happen. I dunno, it's just a thought.
    Yeah, but where do you draw the line? Do you give it to third years but not second? Fourth but not third? Only fifth and above?

Surely you can think of someone who was sexually active much younger than their peers.

I think this probably depends on the story you're telling and to what target audience. I am aiming at a more adult audience and so am more apt to discuss things of this nature. A J/L fic aimed at 2nd years . . . not so much.

But I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by babekitty_92
    The only thing is, would kids abuse it? Like for instance, taking them for a nasty prank? Just a thought as I know people have used pads/tampons/liners for some very nasty pranks.

Abbi
    I dunno . . . would they do it, or would they consider it horribly Muggle, when they can just pull some magic on you? (This, of course, may well depend on your characters, as well). But I myself have always seen the bins (for the used product) as self-emptying.