Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rita Skeeter

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

I think that a lot of it depends on Rita's relationship with her parents. If she is a "daddy's girl" she might blab to her dad. However, if it is the other way around she would probably keep her mouth shut. (Or as shut as it can be.)

Either way, I agree with cmwinters. She wouldn't be able to completely shut up about it. Of course, I doubt that she would spread the news too much if it in some way could hurt her or her parents. (Should she care for them.) While I doubt that Rita was ever particularly close to either or her parents, the news of her mother cheating on her father might make people wonder if Rita was born outside the marriage and so on. And Rita probably wouldn't like this too much.

However, Rita might still talk about it, just not as much as if it was someone elses parents. Perhaps she would tell her close friends (if Rita ever had close friends, let alone friends) at a sleepover, or something like that. Perhaps if she found some interesting proof about who her mother was cheating with, she might want to show off that she had the brains to figure this out.

That's all from me.
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

rainydaze
    ooh! sounds like a scandal to me!

rita skeeter, threatened by Voldemort's regime, trades her "writing capabilities" for the safety of her secret: she's half-blood.

She could even be like Snape that way, kind of ashamed of his muggle half (at least I assume he's ashamed because of the scene in the pensieve in DH where he say his dad 'doesnt think much of anything'.

A.H.
    I'm writing a story about Rita... well from Rita's POV. It's going to be a biography about Harry but I'm going to be switching the POV from what "Rita" wrote, to what really happened. We know that not all sources were willing

So I just have a few questions about her, the sly woman...

• She was indeed a beetle?... I'ts been a while and I'd hate to get that wrong.
    • Do you imagine that she was like Lockheart, obliviating their memory and all that?
    • Other than that, what other ways would she use to get information?
    • Was she determined enough to hurt some one to get what she needed out of them? Phsyically I mean... we know she was emotionaly.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

She was indeed a beetle?... I'ts been a while and I'd hate to get that wrong.
    Yes she was

Do you imagine that she was like Lockheart, obliviating their memory and all that?
    Maybe if it was a really good story, like the Dumbledore story, and she twisted someone's words around and needed to make sure they couldn't discredit her

Other than that, what other ways would she use to get information?I think that she wouldn't be above blackmail, she would also twist people's words around, and would definitely use people who were known to be gossips. I think that a major source for her information would be her eavesdropping in her animagus form

Was she determined enough to hurt some one to get what she needed out of them? Phsyically I mean... we know she was emotionaly.
    I think it would depend on the story, but in most cases, she wouldn't.

Hope this helps!
    Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

Angela_Prongs
    I'm thinking about the situation, and it does indeed sound like a scandal!

So, we're talking about Rita as a child? I think that Rita is a half-blood, but it doesn't really sound like she would be ashamed of it. I'm trying to get all the information together:

--Rita is young in this story
    --Her mother is cheating on her father
    --Rita is a half-blood

Personally, I think that Rita would cleverly come onto her mother about it, not quite threatening her with this knowledge, but also not quite promising to keep quiet. She woudl also probablt hint around the edges to her father about the situation. It sounds like something her character would do.

We know that when she's an adult, she is a complete... nasty woman. But whether or not she was as conniving as a child is really up to you, the author.

Her mother cheating on her father sounds like a good cause for the reason why she grew up to be so horrid. Maybe she liked the feeling of knowing people's personal secrets, and having the power of what to do with them. Maybe she discovered that she liked holding the fate of others in her hands, just through a little secret.

After all, there's always a reason.

She was indeed a beetle?
    As Kate said, yes, she was a beetle.

Do you imagine that she was like Lockheart, obliviating their memory and all that?
    Funnily enough, I think Rita was a whole lot better than Lockheart. She wouldn't fake her whole life for show. Of course, she was vain, but not to the extent that Lockheart was. Sure, Rita Skeeter was probably full of bitterness, for whatever reason, but I don't think she's as fake and, well, fake as Lockheart.

Other than that, what other ways would she use to get information?
    Well, there is her beetle form. But other ways might include just plain sneaking around like anyone else. Having conversations with people while all the time sneaking in little questions that no one suspects as harmless. She's conniving, and she's clever.

Was she determined enough to hurt some one to get what she needed out of them?
    I don't think she was. I really, really don't think she was. However, she would sabatoge, trick, and blackmail to her fancy.

Hufflepuff at Heart
    Do you know, I'm thinking about Rita Skeeter in relation to her own family, and I imagine that she would be terrified at the idea of any kind of scandal related to her family. She spends her time trying to expose scandals about other people, and proving that they are frauds or even setting them up to look like frauds.

We only see her in her professional life during the books, but the impression I get from them is that that is her life - living to ruin others' lives. I'd say that even when she isn't working she's prodding her friends and confidants for information - any information - she could use in her next big story. Her own life probably doesn't even come into it.

If we're talking about a younger Rita Skeeter, I'd say the same rules apply - she would have been a gossip monger who is really only intent on spying and spreading rumours about others. Her home life and her own life was probably of little interest to her. I couldn't imagine her wanting a story like her parents' marraige breaking down ruining her fun. She is supposed to be the one behind the stories, not in them!

I could imagine her simply ignoring her parents' problems, although if she thought talking to one of them about it would put an end to it, then she might do.

After all that, I'll say that this is just one idea! If, like Angela_Prongs suggested, this is the route of all her problems in later life, then she may react differently!

She was indeed a beetle?
    I think this has been established!

I think Rita Skeeter is too clever for that. As we see, she is able to make huge claims about Harry that are completely untrue, yet are lapped up by the Wizarding world. In her case, the quill is mightier than the wand !

Other than that, what other ways would she use to get information?
    As Angela_Prongs has already said, she would use her beetle form, and would slip questions into conversations. She probably has many contacts in the ministry and in other places that can get her the information she need. And, she probably simply makes things up from time to time!

Was she determined enough to hurt some one to get what she needed out of them?
    She wouldn't hurt them physically. She wouldn't want to end up in another newspaper for what she did! I'd say that every move she makes is cool and calculated; she would have a plan no matter what was happening. Of course, blackmail, etc. wouldn't be beyond her.

Hope I've helped!

~Sarah

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    What house do you believe Rita Skeeter was in during her Hogwarts years? I've heard arguements for both Ravenclaw and Slytherin. What do you all think?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Azhure
    I've always thought Ravenclaw. Rita may be cunning and sly, but she is very intelligent. I mean, she became an Animagus, didn't she? A lot of people underestimate her as a character, even though we don't know anything about her.

Ahh, I wanted to write so much more, but I have to go! Consider this as a 'to be continued'!

~~Azhure~~

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I would think she is Slytherin. She becomes an Animagus to get stories no one else could get. She was using it to further her career. She was ambitious and wanted to be known. Even after she stopped with journalism she went on to write 'biography' of Albus Dumbledore.

Smiles,
    Luna

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, I guess it all comes down to what defines Rita more: her intelligence or her ambition. It might all come down to how the author sees her as a child.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!