Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpius Malfoy

Merlynne
    I really think, despite what lessons Draco might have learnt during the last battle, he is still Draco Malfoy--somewhat insecure, ambitious, and a formerly spoiled child. While I do believe that Draco could 'turn around' after the disappointments in his allies during the battle, he's going to 'turn around' the values he believes are important, and not make new ones. He is still going to respect power, desire power, and do what's necessary to get it, only he is going to want to be a better powerful man than his father. He's going to want to make 'good' choices and gain the approval of a world he's finally gained respect for (if you wish to maintain that he HAS gained respect for the world of Muggle tolerance and the trio--which I believe he has. he seemed to have some respect for Harry in the epilogue).

However, you can respect something while still guarding independant values. He's still going to be proud he's pure, that his ancestry can be traced back so far--and I think he'd want to maintain that pride in his lineage. I think he would marry a pureblood--but not all burebloods are Bellatrix Lestrange. I am very sure there are some rational ones out there. He'll likely also marry someone of his own class---his self importance isn't going to dissappear altogether. Once Draco gets back on his feet, he's going to want to stay there, and regain his place in society.

Therefore, I will defend continually that Scorpius would be brought up with these ideals. Pride, ambition (the desire to succeed!) and the notion that his family and he himself are very important. I can't see Draco ever being a very loving and involved father (teaching his son quidditch or stuff like that. I imagine he'd find it all overly sentimental and a waste of time--he IS self important, and I don't think that will change), so I think it would be more likely for Scorpius to turn out with some of the same qualities of young Draco. He'd likely be somewhat desperate to prove himself to his father.

Since Scorpius would want to prove himself, and having been brought up beleiving that his family and his lineage was something special--if not perhaps more special than that of others, I think if he were faced with the choice between Gryffindor and Slytherin, despite being suitable for either, I think he'd choose Slytherin, believing it was the noble house, the house tied to his family's history and therefore a part of his pride. I think choosing Gryffindor would be out of the question. The prospect of choosing the unknown, the strange, and the different over what he knew was good, noble, strong, would just be foolish and somewhat wistful. Even if Scorpius were to despise his parents, I can see him still choosing Slytherin as it would promise him a chance to prove he was stronger, better than them.

Golden Patronus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma Hawk
    But writers can put Scorpius in whatever House, because we create his personality, really. As long as it's believable and serves a purpose in the story, it's okay.
    I completely agree with this. Because of the lack of explanation in the Epilogue, the writer can make Scorpius however they want to. Of course, it would be a little odd if Scorpius ended up as a muggle-loving, perfect, angel boy. That might turn off several readers, including myself. There are several boundaries that the writer must notice and adhere to. But as long as you stay within those boundaries, you can make Scorpius however you want to.

Here's my personal opinion though. You must first look at Scorpius's family. How a child is raised always affects them. Draco Malfoy, for example, was raised by a rich family, and was spoiled. He probably grew up with everything he wanted. His family also had a decent name in the wizarding world. Now, however, after the war, the Malfoy name would have much less grandeur. Everyone would know by now that Lucius and Draco were Death Eaters. When people think of a Malfoy now, they won't think of wealth, but of their evil deeds. Scorpius may still live in a family with a little wealth, but his name isn't anything special and he probably won't have the same arrogant attitude that Draco originally had when he went to school.

Scorpius comes from a purely Slytherin family. His grandparents, parents, and some other family members are all Slytherins. Aside from her name, we don't really know all that much about Scorpius's mother so we don't know how she will have raised him. That is up to the writer as well. You also have to consider that not all Slytherin traits are bad. There's ambition, cunning, and resourcefulness. All of these things are counted as very good traits. Slytherins just get a very bad reputation. Being nice or mean isn't a requirement for any house. It's the distinguishing attributes that make the character.

Scorpius will have grown up in a world without Voldemort or the pain and suffering that his father and grandparents went through. He will most likely have heard about everything that happened, from his parents or from an outside source. Draco may have changed from his experience, but only slightly. He's still the same person on the inside. I would imagine him as being more reserved towards muggles and muggle-borns. This change on Draco could show through Scorpius. Scorpius might not be as prejudiced towards muggles and muggle-borns as his father had been.

So really, I would put Scorpius in Slytherin or possibly Ravenclaw. Having a Malfoy in Gryffindor is a bit of a cliché now and for some reason I just can't see Scorpius in Hufflepuff. Putting Scorpius into Slytherin, does not make him a bad person in any way. But, it is of course the writer's choice.

leahsm2
    Scorpius Malfoy is Slytherin! Geez, and I bet Albus Severus Potter is, too! And his father couldn't be prouder of him! Boy, talk about prejudice!

quibblequill
    But JKR DID mention who Scorpius' mother is ! On her site.

Her name is Asteria Greengrass.

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Therefore, I will defend continually that Scorpius would be brought up with these ideals. Pride, ambition (the desire to succeed!) and the notion that his family and he himself are very important. I can't see Draco ever being a very loving and involved father (teaching his son quidditch or stuff like that. I imagine he'd find it all overly sentimental and a waste of time--he IS self important, and I don't think that will change), so I think it would be more likely for Scorpius to turn out with some of the same qualities of young Draco. He'd likely be somewhat desperate to prove himself to his father.
    Well said

Draco might have turned around on some points. For example, aftere the war I highly doubt that he would contiune the muggle-bashing and calling people blood-traitors and mudbloods. After all, I think that muggle-bashing after the war is sort of like insulting Jewish people was after World War II.

However. Draco was raised by some ideals, like pride and ambition. Draco was spoiled and had everything he wanted handed to him - excpet his father's approval. I think that Draco will raise his son in the same way. But maybe he might be a little more loving than Lucius. Not, like, bedtime stories or anything, but at least being proud of his son once in a while.

I think that Scorpius would have those ideals and bring them to Hogwarts.

I think that Scorpius would go to Gryffindor because I think his father would have learned his lesson and that sticking with the Slytherins was a bad decision.
    Maybe Draco regrets some of the decisions that he has made, but I don't think that he would ever betray his Slytherin friends. Slytherin is like the Malfoy family house, and I think that it would take A LOT before Draco didn't want anything to do with Slytherins.

Also, Scorpius can't be sorted into Gryffindor just because his father might not want to have anything to do with the Slytherins. To be in Gryffindor, Scorpius would actually have to have those Gryffindor qualities. He might have them, we don't know.

But I think that if Scorpius was given the choice between Gryffindor and Slytherin, he would choose Slytherin, because that is family tradition, and it's what he's been raised his entire life to be in.
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

FullofLife
    I think that Scorpius would go to Gryffindor because I think his father would have learned his lesson and that sticking with the Slytherins was a bad decision.
    Not to sound rude, and absolutely no offense to you, but in my humble opinion this is a rather silly statement. Scorpius would go into Gryffindor because his father learns that sticking with Slytherins was a bad decision?

Firstly, there are two house besides Gryffindor which are up for grabs should Scorpius not go into Slytherin. Secondly, I don't think Draco would have learned that sticking with Slytherin was a bad idea - it was the sticking with Death Eaters and Voldermort that was a bad idea. Slytherins are of all sorts. We saw Draco himself, a Slytherin, feeling tortured over his friend's death in DH, we saw Severus Snape, a Slytherin, sacrifice everything for Albus Dumbledore and Lily, we saw Horace Slughorn, a Slytherin, rally his house and bring back the students who wanted to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts. Narcissa Malfoy, who I expect was a Slytherin, pretty much saved Harry's life and did it right in front of Lord Voldemort, for her son.

Harry was going to be a Slytherin. Had he not spoken out, that is where he would have gone. And can we honestly say that just by being put into Slytherin, he would have become evil and trotted off to join Voldemort? By being put into Slytherin, his parents wouldn't have come back to life, the Prophecy would not have vanished into thin air, Albus Dumbledore's plan would not have changed. It isn't the house that shapes you.

Think about it - if Harry had NOT heard the to-be first years saying they never wanted to go into Slytherin because that was the house of "evil" people like Voldemort, if he hadn't been exposed to the silly assumptions of eleven year old children, if he had not found out that Voldemort had killed his parents, would he have ever protested against the Sorting Hat's choice? Of course not. Houses mean nothing.

Scorpius will most likely be in Slytherin because his entire family has been in Slytherin. He will have heard about the house, he will be looking forward to spending seven years with other Slytherins. Do we really believe that Draco will have spent the past how-many years bad-mouthing his own house? No way. Scorpius, unlike (perhaps) the Potter and Weasley children, will enter Hogwarts with less prejudice against the other houses because, I don't think Draco would bad-mouth Slytherin or Gryffindor. Can you imagine families of Slytherin sitting in their dining rooms saying, "Just hope you never get into Gryffindor, that's where all the good people go." If his friends have been saying stuff, that's another matter entirely, because we know from the series how much children are influenced by other children. Harry chose Gryffindor over Slytherin because of what the other kids were saying (coupled with what Hagrid had told him about Voldemort earlier).

Scorpius may well have all sorts of qualities that would allow him to be in any house of Hogwarts - but for all we know he'll choose Slytherin over all of them.

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    posted by Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it -
    I thought I'd just put my two cents in about Scorpius' sorting and here's my theory so everyone can throughly bash it.
    Sad to say, Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it, some people will bash your theory with intolerance, but most people like to hear different ideas and theories, even if they may not agree with you. I am enjoying reading the different views on Scorpius, including yours. There's so much fuel for my imagination! But, I am rather sad that you felt that your theory would be bashed because it could mean that it has happened to you before on MNFF, and that's not cool.

Some of you seem to think Scorpius will grow up spoiled and pampered. Do you think Scorpius is rich then, and why or why not?
    ~Tia

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Do you think Scorpius is rich then, and why or why not?
    I absolutely think that Scorpius is rich. The Malfoy family had a lot of dark artifacts and not all of them were found. So they probably still have some pretty valuble stuff in the cellar.

Also, just because the Malfoys were for the most part on the losing side of the war, doesn't mean that they lose all their money. They were rich before, why shouldn't they be rich now?

But Scorpius being spoiled also has a lot to do with his parents. I can see Draco spoiling his own son a bit, telling him that he's better than the other kids (not because of blood, but because of other things). We know nothing about Scorpius' mother, except that her name is Astoria Greengrass. So fanfic writers can go whatever way with this. Astoria could be overly strict OR kind and loving. We just don't know.

-Nora
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

quibblequill
    *SPOILER*

We know his mother's name, but not what she's like. Therefore, as we can assume that Scorpius is not an exact replica of his father, we cannot really say what qualties he gained from his mother.

Therefore, while it is probable that Scorpius would be a Slytherin, it is also perfectly plausible that he should be in any other house, as long as your fic supports it.

However.

I think Scorpius WOULD be Slytherin. Perhaps he would not be *as* racist as his father, but there should still be *some* prejudice. Honestly, Draco wouldn't have changed as drastically as some of you say. He might have been grateful (as he should have been), but he would never have admitted it. Draco is too proud; another Slytherin quality. I believe that while Scorpius will be *like* his father, he will not *be* his father.

Also, it's unfair to say that Scorpius is "spoiled," "slimy," "evil," or any of the sort. Not all Slytherins are bad. That is the way that Harry, Sirius, Ron, etc. see them. They are *already* predjudiced against the Slytherins. Scorpius can be interpreted in any way the writer wants, because the epilouge only remarked on his appearance, not on the way he reacts to others.

FullofLife
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaBlue
    Some of you seem to think Scorpius will grow up spoiled and pampered. Do you think Scorpius is rich then, and why or why not?
    ~Tia
    I don't know if his family would be rich, though if his father's family is anything to go by, it is a sure shot. I'm pretty sure he would be pampered though - perhaps more pampered because his parents love him, rather than they have a lot of cash on hand.

/my two silly cents