Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpius Malfoy

bluexroses
    For some reason i think of him as a deep blue color. Something like THIS

butterflykisses
    So I'm currently awakening from the dead and I started writing a fic with Scorpius, Rose and an OC of mine named Sheridan. Like many here, I'm having trouble characterising him.

In my opinion, he'd much more open than Draco or Lucius are. I think that since the war is over and the line dividing the purebloods, half-bloods, and muggleborns is blurring that he wouldn't mind as much being with or associating with other bloods.

However, I do think he'd end up in Slytherin. Basically I think he'd go thorugh a situation like Harry did. The Sorting Hat was inclined to put Harry in Slytherin for his many Slytherin characteristics: ambition, arrogance, and cunning, but Harry's request and therefore fear of change and disappointing his parents (not to mention his Gryffindor characteristics) led the Sorting Hat to place him in Gryffindor. I think this would be very similar to Scorpius' sitation. He wouldn't want to disappoint his parents since they were both Slytherins, he'd be very ambitious since that would be placed in him if not by Draco then by Lucius. (You can't underestimate the influence of grandparents. Lucius would still want the Malfoy name to be a name that is respected.)

The only other house I can possibly see him in is in Ravenclaw. Way back when I first joined the forums in 2005 two other Slytherins and myself participated in a challenge where we had to learn about the other houses and the kind of people and characteristics that each house exhibited -- my assignment was Ravenclaw. During this assignement I interviewed countless members and learned about random stuff like where Turnips came from but more importantly I learned that they are very similar to my proud Slytherin house (In fact when asked what other house they'd like to be in they ALL said Slytherin). They are very clever and I think that Slytherins are as well to achieve all they have over the years. They are proud of their knowledge just as we are proud of ourselves. The only major difference is that they use their cleverness and knowledge to reach their goals instead of cunning and slyness like we do. So if Scorpius were placed in this house then I think it would be plausible but I think a better fit would be Slytherin.

And I can't say that without addressing Sirius. In my opinion, Sirius A) had a genetic mutation, B) was dropped on his head as a child, C) was raised by someone other than his parents, or D) was abused by his family because for a child to be so against values he'd been brought up at the age of ELEVEN something monumental had to have happened. At such a young age most children don't even care about hating their parents yet unless they've suffered something extreme. You don't begin to be your own person til you're older. Just my opinion.

Oh and I associate a color that is distant but warm with him like a forrest green not because he's Slytherin in my mind but because green is majestic but also welcoming. Either a deep green like that or a deep red like maroon.

Lastly, I have a question of my own. Do you think he could have a female best friend? I know that Draco had Crabbe and Goyle and in my opinion could care less about Pansy, but I think Scorpius would be different. Thoughts?

Striped_Candycane
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykisses
    Lastly, I have a question of my own. Do you think he could have a female best friend? I know that Draco had Crabbe and Goyle and in my opinion could care less about Pansy, but I think Scorpius would be different. Thoughts?
    I think this depends greatly on how you want to portray Scorpius. If you want to make him an absolute wimp like his father is (especially in Deathly Hallows), then I cannot see him as having any female best friend, because he would be looking for people that would watch his back (in other words, not actual friends, but more of bodyguards like Crabbe and Goyle). It looks bad for a guy to have a girl protecting him, so therefore he would not have any female “friends”.

If he is also pure-blood-obsessed like his father was (or is, depending on whether you believe he changed after DH: see my previous post), I do think that there might be a very rich and “pure” girl that he would take special care in flattering. Whether this qualifies as an actual friend is, of course, up to you.

If you are convinced that the Malfoy family has progressed towards tolerance after Deathly Hallows, then I think that Scorpius would be more open to everything, including towards having a girl as a friend, and that having one wouldn’t be very odd at all.

To come back to applying Draco characteristics to Scorpius, I also think that Draco is someone that is very sensitive when under pressure, even though he is good at hiding it. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you take it. You could give Scorpius a more openly sensitive character, which might leave more room for a female friend.

Finally, it also depends a lot on the girl. Pansy is, quite frankly, not the sort of person that guys would want to be friends with. A less image-conscious and simpering girl might make a better friend for Scorpius.

The problem with Scorpius, of course, is that we really don’t know. As far as canon goes, Scorpius is merely Draco’s son. We are therefore unfortunately reduced to trying to see what influence his family would have on his life, and what characteristics might be inherited.

~Striped Candycanes from Oz

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Originally Posted by Striped_Candycane: The problem with Scorpius, of course, is that we really don’t know. As far as canon goes, Scorpius is merely Draco’s son. We are therefore unfortunately reduced to trying to see what influence his family would have on his life, and what characteristics might be inherited.
    Do you all think this could play into some of the uncertainities for Scorpius' sorting? I mean, with the threads for Rose and Albus, people have some pretty specific ideas as to where they will end up. For Rose, it will be either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, while Albus seems to leaned more towards Gryffindor or Hufflepuff (and then there are the die-hard Slytherin supporters).

But Scorpius seems to have a near clean slate in the eyes of many people, capible of being sorted into any four of the houses. Do you think this plays into the fact that people hope the new generation will usher in change for the Malfoy family, or is it simply because Scorpius got the shortest cameo of any of the children in the Epilogue?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Do you all think this could play into some of the uncertainities for Scorpius' sorting? I mean, with the threads for Rose and Albus, people have some pretty specific ideas as to where they will end up. For Rose, it will be either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, while Albus seems to leaned more towards Gryffindor or Hufflepuff (and then there are the die-hard Slytherin supporters).

But Scorpius seems to have a near clean slate in the eyes of many people, capible of being sorted into any four of the houses. Do you think this plays into the fact that people hope the new generation will usher in change for the Malfoy family, or is it simply because Scorpius got the shortest cameo of any of the children in the Epilogue?
    Er, personally I think it's wishful thinking coupled with bad press for Slytherins. Rose *MIGHT* go to Ravenclaw, but I think it's more likely she'll go to Gryffindor. Albus will sit there and chant "anything but Slytherin" just like his father did.

Scorpius comes from a long line of Slytherins on all sides of his family (the Blacks, the Malfoys, Greengrasses, Rosiers, Bulstrodes, Crabbes & Flints). If the Sorting Hat will allow you to make a life-changing choice at age eleven, Scorpius *WILL* choose to go to Slytherin (and in fact that's what that Epilogue pretty much said about the next generation; that nothing really changes)

But people tend to say that there can't be a "good" character who is a Slytherin, and they have a hard time thinking of an eleven year old as "bad", therefore, Scorpius cannot be bad, therefore, he cannot be Slytherin.

Those are a great bunch of declarative statements that I find not only off-putting, but false.

I personally would not read a fic with a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor Scorpius. I would read one with a Slytherin Scorpius who was otherwise "good"; ambition and "any means" does not necessarily equate "evil".

jenny b
    I'm currently writing a Scorpius/Rose fic, and I've put Scorpius in Slytherin and Rose and Albus and most of the Weasleys in Gryffindor.

I think some things are just too deeply ingrained in people's minds and families that they won't change. The Malfoys have all been cunning and ambitious. A lot of them were bad people, too, but just because Scorpius probably isn't bad doesn't mean he's not cunning and ambitious.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    But people tend to say that there can't be a "good" character who is a Slytherin
    I agree. Honestly, how many people are in Slytherin? How many of them actually turned out to be Death Eaters? The latter is definitely in the minority.

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Well.

I think that Scorpius will end up in Slytherin. His father has probably brought him up to want to be a Slytherin. So Scorpius will probably be wishing "Slytherin, Slytherin." The chance of him being a Slytherin is then very big. Unless Scorpius is very un-Slytherin, I doubt that he would be sorted into another House. He's probably also been wishing "not Gryffindor, not Hufflepuff." So I think that narrows it down to Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Although the Malfoys may not be as biased as before, I do think that Draco has told his son NOT to become a Gryff or Puff.

I think that in most cases, Scorpius being a Ravenclaw has something to do with the Rose/Scorpius shippers, because in some cases having them be in the same House is better for the story.

I ALSO think that it has something to do with the fact that Scorpius was given almost no epilouge-time. All we got was a chance to laugh at his name.

In reality, the discussion of Scorpius' house doesn't matter so much. Although I, personally, think that he's a Slytherin or Ravenclaw, simply because he probably doesn't want to be in another house. But writers can put Scorpius in whatever House, because we create his personality, really. As long as it's believable and serves a purpose in the story, it's okay.
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny b
    I agree. Honestly, how many people are in Slytherin? How many of them actually turned out to be Death Eaters? The latter is definitely in the minority.
    The absolute worst thing Jo ever did for Slytherin house was make all the students flee. Had even one student stayed, it would have made all the difference in the world. She'd already set up Theodore Nott perfectly for that, and chose to abandon it instead. (And before anyone points to either Slughorn or Snape, neither of them counted. Snape was the triple agent, and Slughorn was a faculty member, so he does not count.)

Quote Originally Posted by GemmaHawk
    I ALSO think that it has something to do with the fact that Scorpius was given almost no epilouge-time. All we got was a chance to laugh at his name.
    Scorpius is a perfectly appropriate name for him. And it shows loyalty of Draco to his mother. (It's a constellation name, as are a great number of names in the Black Family).

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    The problem with Scorpius, of course, is that we really don’t know. As far as canon goes, Scorpius is merely Draco’s son. We are therefore unfortunately reduced to trying to see what influence his family would have on his life, and what characteristics might be inherited.

~Striped Candycanes from Oz
    Well said, Striped Candycanes from Oz! And who can tell what the family influence would be after all that Draco experienced? Having the constant threat of his parents' torture and death hanging over his head like an axe may have been a life altering experience. It certainly changed Narcissa a bit to have her child's life threatened. Or, Draco could have stayed as creepy as ever. Who knows?
    And who knows how Scorpius would react to the family influence? My husband's father was an alcohalic. Does that mean everyone thinks my husband is an alcohalic? He's not - he hardly drinks at all; he has a beer maybe once a year. He didn't want to be like his father. If Draco is still creepy, maybe Scorpius doesn't want to be like his father, or maybe he's is a chip off the old block. If Draco has changed for the better, maybe Scorpius has grown up influenced by that change. Who knows?
    Posted by cmwinters -
    Scorpius is a perfectly appropriate name for him. And it shows loyalty of Draco to his mother. (It's a constellation name, as are a great number of names in the Black Family).

I personally would not read a fic with a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor Scorpius. I would read one with a Slytherin Scorpius who was otherwise "good"; ambition and "any means" does not necessarily equate "evil".
    Gosh, I thought I was the only one who liked the name Scorpius!
    I'll try any fic with Scorpius in it. I enjoy reading the different ideas on whether or not Draco changed and what his son Scorpius is like. I just wish there were more Scorpius fics!

~Tia

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    I thought I'd just put my two cents in about Scorpius' sorting and here's my theory so everyone can throughly bash it.

I think that Scorpius would go to Gryffindor because I think his father would have learned his lesson and that sticking with the Slytherins was a bad decision. I think that after the Trio saved his life three times (or was it two?) in the Battle of Hogwarts he would have put aside his old dislike. He also would have realized that Harry, Hermione, and Ron didn't have to save his life but did it anyway which was really noble. I think that after the war he would have realized that his parents' views of things are corrupted so he'd take care not to instill these values in Scorpius. Some fics write that Pansy married Draco, but I really think he would steer clear of any Slytherin girls or anyone with the pureblood mania and keep Scorpius as far away from granddaddy as he can (well, Lucius was probably in Azkaban for life). He would have made sure that his son made up for everything he never was because he feels this is the only way to completely repent all the horrible things he'd done and Scorpius would consequently be sorted into Gryffindor because Draco would have enforced how important it is to be brave and chivalrous.

So there's my theory. I would have supported it with Canon to make it more believable, but as we have lamented previously, there really isn't much concrete information. Which of course gives birth to fun theories!!!