Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Scorpius Malfoy

cmwinters
    *sigh*

The real reason that people are afraid their theories are "being bashed with intolerance" is because those same people who put forth those theories are making some rather grand assumptions, most specifically that Slytherin=evil and bad, and that if you have a 'good' character, they can't be in Slytherin. And because only Gryffindor is good, your 'good' character MUST be in Gryffindor.

Quite frankly, some of us, myself included, find that sentiment offensive. And after several years of the same statement being thrust at me, ti's beginning to get obnoxious.

Further, making a character like that go against everything their entire family has ever stood for is bordering on the very definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

It's also "easy" and "lazy" writing. Instead of working with what you have (i.e. - a character who is mostly undefined but almost guaranteed to go to Slytherin) with the traits they almost certainly have (clever, cunning, ambition, most likely a blood prejudice, even if he keeps it hidden) and making THAT character fit in to your story, it's "easier" to just make him something completely unrecognisable and throw him into Gryffindor, where all the good folks are anyway.

Draco and Astoria would not say "don't get into Gryffindor, that's where all the good people go". They would probably say "Gryffindors are blood-traitors." And they would probably denounce Hufflepuffs as Squibs and Mudbloods (although why this is the overriding prejudice in the Wizarding World, I have absolutely no idea. )

Narcissa and Lucius would back them on this, and most likely Astoria's parents and sister as well.

Now, I think the Malfoy family is CUNNING and savvy enough to let their own prejudices lie low when the political climate is not condoning such beliefs. They would not be out declaring "Down with Mudbloods!" and demanding registration for "undesirables" or anything ridiculous like that. However, in the privacy of their own home, I absolutely believe that they will teach their children that they are superior for many reasons, among which is bloodline.

As for their financial situation, yes, I think they are quite well-to-do. Some fics are insisting that the entire Malfoy family fortune was seized after the war, which appears to be completely wishful thinking. (It doesn't bother me so much when the writers under age 18 do it, but the writers over age 35 should know better!) Not only is there nothing in canon to support it, it's preposterous to believe that the several thousand year old Malfoy family fortune wasn't diversified into various funds, accounts, and off-shore locations to prevent such a thing.

Yes, I think Scorpius is even richer than Draco was. Not only does he have the Malfoy and Black fortunes coming to him, but also the Greengrass fortune. And even if every single Knut the Malfoy family had in their various Gringotts vaults was seized by the Ministry (something I find completely improbable), there is a saying that "compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe", and the accounts they most assuredly had not only off-shore but even in the Muggle world would easily maintain their standard of living. In fact, i think it's quite likely that Lucius moved the vast majority of his investments off-shore once he was released from jail, and quite possibly as soon as the Dark Lord was resurrected.

Also, remember that Narcissa was a loving and devoted mother who doted on her son (she sent him large packages full of candy every day) and looked the Dark Lord in the eye and lied to His face to protect her son.

Merlynne
    Despite the fact that JKR has mentioned that Asteria Greengrass is Scorpius' mother, a lot of people won't consider these interview and dropped lines as canon. You have no obligation to follow this at all.

Personally, I figure if it's not published, it's not Canon, and it annoys me to no end that a simple name dropped in an interview should force me to rewrite my fics because I want them to be canon compliant. Personally, I don't consider Greengrass canon, but I know everyone has a different definition of how far beyond the 7 books canon goes. I would say Scorpius is canon, the fact that he HAS a mother is canon, but who she is is up to the fans to toy with. (my definition of canon is a bit different than some)

And I've got to applaud CM. A bit harsh, but at least she's got the guts to say what I didn't. Really, it depends what kind of readers you want to attract. Do you want to attract an audience who doesn't care for canon, probability, characterization, or do you just want an escapist audience who'd liked to be suspended by an idea, no matter how unlikely. A picker, more critical (generally older, but not necessarily) audience will be turned off of this. It's up to you. Technically Gryffindor or Hufflepuff Scorpius isn't AU, or OOC, but I highly doubt you'd get snaps for characterization, though that depends on how brilliant you are with it, and you'd likely have a lot of explaining to do.

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    To all Slytherins: I meant no harm by seeming prejudiced. I meant that Draco would have seen the error in the typical Slytherin view of pureblood superiority etc. but that is not to say that there are Slytherins that think differently. I can understand why that predjudice would come off as annoying and I apologize for implying that. We 'puffs get our own share of predjudice.

However, cmwinters, I find some errors in your statements.
    It's also "easy" and "lazy" writing. Instead of working with what you have (i.e. - a character who is mostly undefined but almost guaranteed to go to Slytherin) with the traits they almost certainly have (clever, cunning, ambition, most likely a blood prejudice, even if he keeps it hidden) and making THAT character fit in to your story, it's "easier" to just make him something completely unrecognisable and throw him into Gryffindor, where all the good folks are anyway.
    You are assuming that Scorpius will automatically be put in Slytherin because of the phrase "almost guaranteed." However, there is no concrete evidence that says it must be so. And the phrase "...with the traits they almost certainly have..." again there is no concrete evidence to prove this. Also, "Instead of working with what you have" implies that we have quite a lot to work with which is, in fact, not true. We just know Scorpius is the son of Malfoy and not much else other than Greengrass as his mother (possibly) leaving us free to theorize. And as for "make him something completely unrecognizable" we never knew where he went in the first place, so how would putting him in Gryffindor make him unrecognizable if the writer had good reasons and experiences to support it? That is not "'easy and 'lazy' writing."

Aside from this, however, I do agree with your reasoning on the Malfoy fortune.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    You are assuming that Scorpius will automatically be put in Slytherin because of the phrase "almost guaranteed."

However, there is no concrete evidence that says it must be so. And the phrase "...with the traits they almost certainly have..." again there is no concrete evidence to prove this. Also, "Instead of working with what you have" implies that we have quite a lot to work with which is, in fact, not true. We just know Scorpius is the son of Malfoy and not much else other than Greengrass as his mother (possibly) leaving us free to theorize. And as for "make him something completely unrecognizable" we never knew where he went in the first place, so how would putting him in Gryffindor make him unrecognizable if the writer had good reasons and experiences to support it? That is not "'easy and 'lazy' writing."

Aside from this, however, I do agree with your reasoning on the Malfoy fortune.
    . . .

It is almost guaranteed. EVERY ancestor of his that we know anything about has been a Slytherin. He's not only got the same bloodline and genetic traits, he's being brought up with the same ideals and in the same environment. He doesn't go off to school until age eleven.

You could put a child of Neville's in Hufflepuff (regardless of who the child's mother is) because besides bravery, some of Neville's defining characteristics are his loyalty and his determination. (There's a nature video floating around YouTube where a badger attacks a poisonous snake because the badgers like the taste, the snake bites him, the badger nearly dies. When it wakes up from the coma, it continues eating the snake).

You could put a child of Hermione Granger's in Ravenclaw because Hermione's MAJOR defining characteristic is her intelligence, and she was nearly Sorted to Ravenclaw anyway.

You are putting Scorpius in Gryffindor not because Draco was some great fighter, or because either of his parents are particularly brave. You are putting him in Gryffindor because you don't want to put him into Slytherin, and that is an entirely different thing.

Frankly, I don't agree that Sirius Black should have been sorted into Gryffindor, either. The only reason he wasn't in Slytherin was because the high and mighty James Potter would never deign to associate with someone who was a Slytherin, so in order to be James' best friend, he had to be in the same House with him. But I don't see "bravery" as Black's defining characteristic in the least. And before you start with "but he showed up at the Ministry to fight the Dark Lord", allow me to remind you that so did Nymphadora Tonks, and she was a Hufflepuff.

At that point, Sirius was protecting his interests (a.k.a. Harry's survival), because Harry was the only reputable person that could provide testimony that Pettigrew was alive and therefore Black convicted unfairly. THAT is a very Slytherin thing to do. He (Black) was also trying his genuine best to save Harry because Harry is the only family Black had left and he felt an obligation to James, but let's remember that Narcissa a Slytherin did the same thing, and protecting one's family IS protecting one's interests.

At any rate, you do have quite a bit to work with with Scorpius. You'd need to make him recognisable as the son of his parents, and making him some goody-two-shoes overly generous happy-go-lucky Gryffindor is about as far away from that as you are likely to get.

And I'd just like to state for the record, lest someone put words in my mouth I didn't say: my statement above about ages versus diversified portfolios was not to say that eighteen year olds are bad writers or immature. It's just that generally people over the age of thirty-five tend to be more familiar with a diversified portfolio, and acting like Lucius wouldn't do that is not something I find acceptable from someone who *does* know better. I have seen some fantastic writers who are very young, and some absolutely dreadful ones who are past mid-life. I absolutely wasn't trying to say that young writers are bad and older ones are good, in case anyone thought that.

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

My two cents: (again )

I, personally, believe that Scorpius will be a Slytherin, because his entire family has been Slytherins. And not ONLY that, but also, I would suspect that Draco has planted some Slytherin ideals in Scorpius. Also, Draco has probably raised Scorpius to be a Slytherin, much like the Weasleys are raised to be Gryffindors.

Should Scorpius be in any other house, it has be for two reasons - first, most importantly, Scorpius actually fits into this House. You can't put Scorpius in Gryffindor just because you want to make him "different" from his family. If you're going to put him in Gryffindor, make it because he, as a character, has Gryffindor qualities. Also, think about what Draco will say- a Malfoy in Gryffindor? I really don't think that he would be elated about that. So incorporate that into your fic.

Second, Scorpius' mother. JKR has said that it's Astoria Greengrass, but, as Merlynne said, we do have the freedom to change her. Think about what kind of person Scorpius' mother is, even if she isn't in your fic. Maybe make up her character anyway. Her House, her family and her beliefs will also have an influence on which House Scorpius' goes to.

As for Scorpius being pampered and spoiled. I think that he would be. Draco, from what we have seen, is possesive and protective. Do not touch what is his. Also, Draco's belongings and Draco's friends are The Best. I do think that he would have the same opinion about his son. Of course Draco's son is The Best. I think That Draco would tell Scorpius so, and Scorpius would grow up believing it. He would probably get quite a shock when he showed up at Hogwarts

-Nora
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Please, take it easy, everybody, we are all just stating opinions. An opinion that seems logical to one person, may not seem logical to others. But, everyone has a right to express that opinion as long as it is in a polite manner. Remember, these are all opinions unless JK said it or wrote it, and even then, we can write whatever we like in our stories.
    It would be sad to have this thread closed because people are getting testy, or for people to stop participating because only one opinion is considered valid. I can see merit in all of the opinions that have been expressed. And I'd love to see all of these diverse opinions in lots of fics about Sporpius, the more the better. So take your passionate opinion and start writing, and I for one, promise to read it!

JK listed children of characters in a "family tree." Do you think that's it, or will Scorpius ever have brothers and sisters?
    Do you think Narcissa and Andromeda visited each other and that Scorpius grew up knowing Teddy?

~Tia

Rhi for HP
    Yes, I can see Narcissa and Andromeda meeting up again. I'd like to believe that after the war some of the Malfoys may have had changes of hearts. And Andromeda was in Slytherin, after all, so she must have been close to at least Narcissa. Though she and her sister were on different sides of the war, I imagine they would still love each other. (Bellatrix, of course, being a whole other story.)

I think Scorpius is an only child. Draco was an only child, and I assume Lucius is as well, because we never hear about any aunts or uncles of Draco. As a general observation, it seems to me in the real world as well wealthier families tend to have less children (though of course there are exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    And I'd just like to state for the record, lest someone put words in my mouth I didn't say: my statement above about ages versus diversified portfolios was not to say that eighteen year olds are bad writers or immature. It's just that generally people over the age of thirty-five tend to be more familiar with a diversified portfolio, and acting like Lucius wouldn't do that is not something I find acceptable from someone who *does* know better. I have seen some fantastic writers who are very young, and some absolutely dreadful ones who are past mid-life. I absolutely wasn't trying to say that young writers are bad and older ones are good, in case anyone thought that.
    Hahaha, this made me laugh! I'm 15 and found it hilarious that you included a disclaimer (I agree with you on the earlier point, actually, too). No offence taken.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaBlue
    JK listed children of characters in a "family tree." Do you think that's it, or will Scorpius ever have brothers and sisters?
    Probably not. By and large, the Purebloods haven't been reproducing at a sustainable rate for several generations. It's one thing I haven't really been able to understand. I don't think it's purely by accident (i.e. - I don't think either the men or the women are generally rendered sterile or impotent by the production of an heir), but neither does it appear to be by design, either. The prejudicial Purebloods have been whinging about how horrible it is that the Muggleborns are infiltrating, but they're not doing anything to sustain their own numbers, frankly, and if it weren't for the influx of the Muggleborns, there likely wouldn't BE a wizarding world any more.

You know, you need roughly 2.2 children per 2 adults to merely maintain your population. The 2 is (I hope) obvious, the .2 deals with childhood death and other death without issue. Not every set of adults has to have two children; some will have three or more, some will have one or none, but it needs to be roughly 2.2 children per 2 adults.

But Morfin had no children. Merope had one, and that one had none. Bellatrix and Rodolphus had none, Rabastan appears to have had none, Sirius and Regulus had none, it's likely that Rosier and Wilkes didn't have any, Theodore Nott, Pansy Parkinson, Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle all appear to have been only children. Neville was an only child. Crouch Jr. had no children. Cedric didn't have time to have any. Out of those eighteen people, they had 28 parents between them. Even if Neville, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy & Theodore have two (and assuming Draco only has Scorpius), that's only eleven grandchildren, out of 28 grandparents. You can't get 2.2 children out of that no matter what version of new math you use!

Having said all that, I ask you to go around the forum and find out how frequently is something said about Slytherin in a positive light that didn't originate from a Slytherin, versus how often they're pretty nastily spoken of.

How often does someone who isn't a Slytherin rebuff those things?

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Wow, cmwinters, great job! That was really interesting. Thanks for that insight!

Although I really try hard to keep my opinions open so I can enjoy more fics (y'all have probably noticed ), I reluctantly have to agree that I, too, think Scorpius is an only child. Because of JK's list, I just can't seem to let it go. That's partially why I asked whether or not people thought Scorpius grew up knowing Teddy. But, I'd still enjoy a fic in which he has a slew of siblings - probably because I'm one of seven children and I loved growing up in a big family.

I wonder - Is Scorpius lonely growing up as an only child, if he really is one? (Having so many siblings, I don't know how it feels to grow up as an only child.) Do you think he has lots of friends? Who would his friends be before attending Hogwarts?

posted by cmwinters - I ask you to go around the forum and find out how frequently is something said about Slytherin in a positive light that didn't originate from a Slytherin, versus how often they're pretty nastily spoken of.
    I think Slytherin is a worthy House. Does that count?

~Tia

Rhi for HP
    I wonder - Is Scorpius lonely growing up as an only child, if he really is one? (Having so many siblings, I don't know how it feels to grow up as an only child.) Do you think he has lots of friends? Who would his friends be before attending Hogwarts?
    I know many only childs (though I myself have a sister), and the loneliness factor is different for all of them. One of my friends often laments that she never had a sibling. Another one is pleased not to. My cousin accepts it as the way his life has always been, though I detect a sadness when he sees how my sister and I are best friends. I imagine Scorpius to be like my cousin: accepting of his situation (seeing as he knows no other), but perhaps a bit sad when he sees large, happy families (like the Weasleys, perhaps). As far as friends, we really don't see Scorpius' character in the epilogue. However, I don't imagine him as Mr Popularity, as his father and grandfather were Death Eaters, and that reputation is bound to precede him no matter what. But I don't think Scorpius would be a friendless outsider either, and if he is Sorted into Slytherin he's sure to have at least a few friends (the Death Eaters, I would think, would have raised their children in the prejudiced way they were taught, and despite popular opinion would maintain their same values). And Slytherin is sure to be full of Death Eater children (well, the Death Eaters that reproduced, at any rate--CM has a good point). Scorpius' friends before Hogwarts would be the children of Draco and Astoria's friends--so probably children from blood-prejudiced (Slytherin), on-the-wrong-side-of-the-war, families...like himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaBlue
    I think Slytherin is a worthy House. Does that count?
    Personally, I can definitely see where the animosity towards Slytherin originates: in canon itself! 99.99% of all Slytherins in the books are EVIL. Certainly all the evil wizards originate there. Yes, you have nasty people from other Houses (Zacharias Smith, for example), but the truly terrible ones come out of there. Yes, there is Snape, and Andromeda, and Regulus (who changed his mind at the very end). But Snape is not a nice guy, Regulus joins up with the Death Eaters initially and is quite a fan, and Andromeda is described as 'haughty'. You don't see these good through and through Slytherins in the books. It makes me very sad, since I'm sure I would have been Sorted into that House had I actually gone to Hogwarts, and I don't like to think of myself as evil. On the forums, of course, Slytherin is a nice, normal House, which may have its fair share of cynics, but not Voldemorts.