Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpius Malfoy

Striped_Candycane
    I strongly believe that Scorpius did not end up in Slytherin.

JK Rowling plays with the theme of people and ideas that change throughout the entire book. In Deathly Hallows, each change that the characters undergo is for the better. We see Peter Pettigrew and his moment of remorse that saved Harry’s life, Ron’s new maturity that eventually leads him to destroy a Horcrux (and helps him get Hermione as well), Severus Snape’s ultimate redemption... I do not think that the Malfoy family can continue in the same vicious pureblood mania circle anymore.

Although I do believe that Lucius Malfoy might still stick doggedly to the pureblood doctrine, I think that Draco is now beyond that. Doubts on the life he led as a Death Eater’s son and a Death Eater would definitely had been born in him on the night he couldn’t kill Dumbledore. But he is a coward and would have tried to hide these doubts in front of Voldemort and his father.

And then we have the fact that Harry saves his life once, and that Ron does again. After that, I feel it is impossible for Draco to continue hating muggleborns and blood traitors. And then when the war is over, what does he have to hide? He can finally come out and be somewhat tolerant. He might still contain some slight prejudices, but full-out detestation? I don’t think so.

Scorpius, as Draco’s son, is born free. He lives in a world free of Voldemort, where the tension between muggleborns and purebloods is now minimal. Draco, I think, would try to let Scorpius become what he wants to be, even if he does not necessarily encourage him towards one side or another. Scorpius is the first of a line of “new Malfoys”. It would be such a shame to waste this by making him a stereotypically Slytherin, pureblood snob.

I believe it is very likely Scorpius ended up in Ravenclaw. This, for a pureblood Slytherin family, would not be such a shock than if he were put in Hufflepuff or Gryffindor. It would represent a baby step forwards for the Malfoy family.

As for the relationship with the Trio’s children…I think there might be some conflict when they are young and immature, but this would eventually bloom into a cool respect. There would definitely be some tension if Draco and Harry/Ron had to meet up because of this, though…

I must say though, when I read this quote from Deathly Hallows:

'So that's little Scorpius,' said Ron under his breath. ‘Make sure you beat him in every test, Rosie. Thank God you inherited your mother's brains.'
    I thought oh boy, let the ships begin! Quite frankly, I do not think there is anything “far-out” about Scorpius and Rose, because the whole point of Scorpius is that he is a free character. He can be whatever he wants to be, good or evil, he can do whatever he wants to do.

Beth: Very good post. 5 points

Slytherins_rule93

Scorpius Malfoy

I think Scorpius would be in slytherin. I mean you can only expect that from a family that is all pureblood slytherins.

jenny b
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytherins_rule93
    I think Scorpius would be in slytherin. I mean you can only expect that from a family that is all pureblood slytherins.
    Erm, no.

That isn't a very good assumption to make, because his family doesn't neccessarily reflect Scorpius's personality. I don't think Draco would be as bad as his father with the pureblood thing, and without Voldemort there the entire Wizarding world's opinion of blood status would change, especially with Kingsley being the Minister. I'm not saying that Scorpius wouldn't be in Slytherin, because that is still possible, but I think it's likely he could be in any house.

Anyway, think about Sirius Black. He came from a family of Pureblood Slytherins, who were probably even more obsessed with blood status than the Malfoys, and he ended up a Gryffindor. People's families don't decide their personality.

greennotebook

And Scorpius's mother is....

This is returning to an earlier debate, but I just heard the answer and I figure it should be resolved. I was just listening to JKR's interview with PotterCast, and they asked her about who Malfoy marries. According to Jo, Mrs. Draco Malfoy is Astoria Greengrass, younger sister (by two years) to Daphne.

Knowing that Daphne is a Slytherin, I'm assuming that Astoria is as well. However, as several people above me have pointed out, family ties do not guarantee house placement. That being said, families do tend to teach their children the traits they value. A tendency towards cunning, guile, self-preservation, and yes, even blood purity could be transmitted to the next generation. I believe that Draco does not stay the evil little git he spent most of the series being, but I can't believe that he pulls a complete about-face either. He probably still depends on throwing around whatever status he retains, and has raised Scorpius to similarly utilize whatever resources are available- straightforward or not. I would guess that Scorpius is in Slytherin, unless he's particulary intelligent or bookish and ends up in Ravenclaw.

xombie
    I think Scorpius Malfoy is one of the most heatedly debated subjects here, and for obvious reasons. As someone has rightly said before me, his mother’s name is no longer kept in the dark. Jo revealed during the Podcast that Draco married Daphne Greengrass’ younger sister Astoria.

Judging by the Malfoy family’s customs and ideals, Draco would probably not have married Astoria unless she is a pureblood, or at the most, Slytherin. To say he married a Mudblood or half-blood would be as good as saying Draco was a completely changed man after the war. We all know that such incidents cannot completely turn a person over a new leaf. Draco might repent his earlier choices, but it’s very difficult to get rid of the personality you are. And knowing Draco Malfoy and his character; he’d probably be too weak to assist a change in himself. In short, Draco would remain Draco; the scared, ignorant, irritating blonde boy he was at school.

Which brings to our main subject- Scorpius. I agree with those who say family history does not play a role in deciding the house. Yes, you are all right. However, a family influences a child’s thinking. How many children do we know who frankly oppose their parent’s views or are untouched by their character? Such incidents occur very rarely. I don’t say they don’t, but only one child in a thousand would have the courage to stand up and think of his own free will. What plays a deciding role in the selection of Scorpius’ house, is his temperament, nature, disposition and upbringing.

Again, we have followed Draco Malfoy closely through the seven Harry Potter books. The question that arises is, would he be a Lucius- like father, or a caring one? Would he be a Father who submits to all the wishes of his younger one or one who knows where to draw the line? If we analyse Draco’s personality closely, we would see he wouldn’t be very different from his Father. (Again, I assume that the war hasn’t brought in a profound change in him). Draco was a boy who relied on his Father to fulfill his demands and wishes. Lucius submitted to all of his little whims. The Malfoys were a wealthy family, with important connections. Lucius was a cunning guy, and his money brought Draco the subject of his demands. But what about the present Malfoy family? Are they still rich, or have they faded away?

It is a known fact that the Malfoys kept many valuable items hidden away. What is not known, is their exact worth. But judging closely, I think we may say quite safely, that their wealth wouldn’t be finished off in a month or so; it would take years. After the war, the family might probably have sought work, Draco and Astoria can be a working couple, so that would add to the wealth they already possess. In such a circumstance, Scorpius could have grown up to be the selfish, pampered boy Draco was.

However, the topic that intrigues me most is whether the Malfoy clan would still be proud. Could the war have turned them a little more modest? I feel the answer to the question is a possible Yes. With all connections dissolved, and status sunk low into the ground; Lucius could not have continued being the cold man he had once been. It would be necessary to bow down before the others however much he may detest it. To stay in the Wizarding world he would have to ask for forgiveness. But this does not mean that he would be a transformed person. What shows outside is not what lies beneath.

Back to Scorpius. With a family such as this, I think we can now assume that Slytherin would probably be the best place for him. He comes from a long lineage of pure blood people; and it’s quite difficult to break the tradition. I agree Sirius was an exception, but as I’ve already pointed out, exceptions will remain- but not affect the choices of others. Also take for example the Weasley family. Each one of them have been sorted into Gryffindor. In fact, Ron even says it out loud to Harry that every member of his family had been a Gryffindor.

To conclude, Scorpius, according to me, would be a Slytherin. Unless someone wants to pair him up with Rose and puts him in Gryffindor *laughs* Any other house sounds like a cliché to me

Beth: Great analysis of Scorpius with wonderful insight on his family background. 5 points.

JOHN91043353
    Actually we know Astoria is a pureblood already because Ron said that Scorpius is a pureblood in the prologue and her sister Daphne a pureblood in the classlist for Harry's year. So Astoria is defenatly pureblood.
    I think Draco would change. I don't think Lucius would because he has been thinking that way his whole life. Draco might still have prejudice but not as much as he had when he was younger. I think we saw Draco change in the end of book six and through book seven. If the rest of the wizarding world change to a more tolerant place I think it is more likely that Draco was to weak to keep his muggle hate up. We also don't know anything about Astoria's personality. She is a pureblood and her sister was a Slytherin, but that doesn't mean she was one. In some families all members is in the same house but there is also examples of families where sibling is in totally diffrent houses. And even if she was in Slytherin that doesn't nessesary mean she is a pureblood maniac. We know her parents wasn't deatheaters.
    I think Draco would be a better father than Lucius. I think he would be more like Cissa when it comes to family.
    The Malfoy is probably still wealthy if not the Ministry made them pay a lot for being deatheaters but I don't think they did. Draco is also a very good wizard and probably has a well paid job. And if they have mony they are still important and powerful.
    But I think that some people would look down at them for being Deatheaters that didn't get their punishment.
    I also want to point out that just because the Malfoys are still wealthy, it doesn't mean that Scorpius have been spoild. But I agree that he probably has.
    Why don't the Malfoys get more children? If they want their old pureblood family to survive then why don't they get more than one kid every generation?

HogwartsGirly124
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrly donut
    I was mainly wondering which house to put him in. I've been thinking Hufflepuff or Slytherin. Slytherpuff?? Anyway, I'd apperciate your 2 knutes on what house you think he should be in, and any other ideas on how you might invision him.

In the In the epilogue, Draco is the father of a young son, Scorpius Hyperion. J.K. Rowling also revealed that Draco married Astoria Greengrass, the younger sister of Daphne Greengrass, his fellow Slytherin classmate.

It also says in Deathly Hallows, though they are still not friends, he gives a brief, curt nod to Harry while both are seeing their own children off to school at King's Cross.

We really dont know what Scorpius is like. But from what I'm guessing it looks like Draco has matured more. And we don't know what Astoria is like. She could be nice, warm and loving and so could Draco which resorts to Hufflepuff as a house or so. But they might be bad parents and that could equal Slytherin.

But, honestly, in my mind I see Draco giving Scorpius the love and respect he never had in his childhood. So in my mind I would see Scorpius going into Hufflepuff or Gryffindor, but he was of course get the treatment that Sirus Black did when he was sorted into Gryffindor not Slytherin.

Blacks = Purebloods always in Slytherin
    Sirus Black = First Black to be put into Gryffindor = Shunned by family

Malfoys = Purebloods always in Slytherin
    Scorpius Malfoy = (if) First Malfoy to be put into any house other than Slytherin. You would have to see how that would affect him/his family. Would his parents shun him? Or just his grandpartents? Or vice versa.

Hope I've helped!

-- Soph

Sly_ther-in

My two knuts

I actually have a fan fic currently in the work that has Scorpius landing in Hufflepuff for reasons that are too many to innumerate. (And would quite frankly give too many spoilers!)

But my take on it is thus,
    1. The Malfoy Family would have almost as much a negative stigma as the Potter/Weasley's do positive.
    2. As such young master Scorpius would be raised almost completely isolated from the wizarding world and as such would have to read books to learn about it. That opens up his own mind and thoughts to outside ideas. Draco had plenty of pure blood friends and pride programming him.
    3. Not saying that Scorpius wouldn't be raised in a world of pure blood mania but how can someone hold to those arrogant elitist attitudes when his family is constantly being looked at as a scourge that needs to be stamped out before it grows?
    4. Also I think that Hermione's reaction to Ron joking, saying that he shouldn't turn Rose against Scorpius before they get to Hogwarts shows a different attitude they are trying to instill in their children.
    5. With that one Malfoy nod of acknowledgment in Harry's direction, coupled with the fact that Ron knew Scorpius' name, JK was setting up that this was a different world where boundaries where not as drawn out and solid as they used to be. She was not just setting up potential for rivalry but friendship as well.

So in conclusion if you read down this far, Hufflepuff would not be out of the question to me. But I think you'd need a doozy of a plot twist to pull it off....which I have!

I Hope the Pit of Black Fire (known as the queue) spits my story out soon so you can read it.

Thanks

Pidwigeon13
    I think Scorpius would be placed into Slytherin, if his mother and father were (although I don't think it says what house Asatoria is in she would probbably be in Slytherin) then many Slytherin qualities may have been passed on to him by his parents. Draco may have changed his views (although marrying a pureblood may suggest he still had some prejudices) why would that affect the house that Scorpius is in? People are sorted into houses by their personal qualities not their beliefs or their blood status.

I do not think this would make it impossible for a relationship to form between Rose and Scorpius, after the war people may have a different look on Slytherins and even if Slytherin is still looked upon as where evil and snobbish people are sorted then why not have Scorpius prove them wrong. As the son of Draco Malfoy, sorted into Slytherin people may have a cirtain idea about his character already so why not have him prove them all wrong by acting differently if you want to? There were good Slytherins after all like Andromeda Black and Severus Snape.

Beth: 10 points off for not reading the rules

ms. leading
    I have a quick, but strange question on Scorpius. Its just for title help.

What colour do you think best associates with him?

Thanks.