Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpius Malfoy

squirrly donut

Scorpius Malfoy

I was mainly wondering which house to put him in. I've been thinking Hufflepuff or Slytherin. Slytherpuff?? Anyway, I'd apperciate your 2 knutes on what house you think he should be in, and any other ideas on how you might invision him.

I_LUV_MOONY
    I think he would be very similar to his father, sleek blond hair and all. If it was a choice between Hufflepuff or Slytherin I would say Slytherin. Malfoy will probably have instilled pureblood mania in his son, not to quite the extent Lucius did, but it's still there.

Then again, I can see where Narcissa will have told them to do away with their pureblood mania because of what Harry did for them (Harry is Muggle-raised, which is almost just as bad as being Muggleborn). So, in that circumstance, Scorpius could be a Hufflepuff.

So now you have reasons supporting both options. There's my two knuts.

x_lily_evans_x
    I don't think any Malfoy would end up in Hufflepuff. Malfoys are pretty smart, I guess, (NO OFFENCE TO THE TALENTED 'PUFFS HERE!!!) and if Scorpius were to be in any house other than Slytherin I should think he would be in Ravenclaw. (The consequences of him being Sorted into Gryffindor would be very, very fun, but I think it's highly unlikely, unless you make him a very nice guy but then I'd think that it's quite cliched.)

mavis

PS I thought his name was Scorpius, and not Scorpious.

Skipper
    I think putting Scorpius is Slytherin is the obvious choice. Itís the Malfoy family tradition, and you wouldnít even have to do much explaining in a story to justify it. However, you can certainly get some mileage out of putting him a different house. You just might have to do some more work selling the reader as to how he got there. If youíre going to put him in Hufflepuff, what did the Sorting Hat see inside of him to make that decision?

Another thing to consider is what role Scorpiusís house plays in your story? If it doesnít matter, then I would just put him in Slytherin. Based on existing canon, decisions the Sorting Hat has made in past, thatís the spot he would most likely land. Why give a reader a reason to question your story if it isn't an important detail?

If it does matter, then maybe you can show the reader some events in Scorpiusís life prior to his arrival at Hogwarts that justify his placement in another House. For example, maybe he got in some trouble with one of his friends and lied to his father to protect that friend. Maybe Scorpius has some friends outside of school, somehow, that are not pureblood and he chooses to hangout with them because they are his friends, not because of their blood status. There are a couple ideas that I think might demonstrate some Hufflepuff-like qualities.

I donít think you can have him be sorted into Hufflepuff and still be the same Malfoy we are accustomed to; you know, slimy and scheming Ö a troublemaker. Heíd have to be something much different. So, I think the most important thing to consider is which house falls most inline with the way you plan to portray him.

Good luck!

squirrly donut
    So it's spelled 'Scorpius' then? OK. Anyway, thanks for the help! Slytherin it is!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrly donut
    I was mainly wondering which house to put him in. I've been thinking Hufflepuff or Slytherin. Slytherpuff?? Anyway, I'd apperciate your 2 knutes on what house you think he should be in, and any other ideas on how you might invision him.

Draco has such an active dislike for Hufflepuffs that he threatened to leave school if he was thus Sorted. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a Malfoy were Sorted as a Hufflepuff that the Malfoys wouldn't disown them.

Quote Originally Posted by x_lily_evans_x
    (The consequences of him being Sorted into Gryffindor would be very, very fun, but I think it's highly unlikely, unless you make him a very nice guy but then I'd think that it's quite cliched.)
    Honestly, days like these I wonder if I am reading a separate set of books from everyone else. Where in the world does it say Gryffindors are "very nice"??? The Sorting Hat doesn't say that. Hogwarts: A History doesn't say that. James Potter was such an ignominious prat his SON was horrified. Sirius Black likewise. So not only would such a placement for that reason be cliched, it would also be completely inaccurate. Now if Squirrly wanted to put him in Gryffindor on his own merits (that actually match Gryffindor house), that would be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by I_LUV_MOONY
    it was a choice between Hufflepuff or Slytherin I would say Slytherin. Malfoy will probably have instilled pureblood mania in his son, not to quite the extent Lucius did, but it's still there.

Then again, I can see where Narcissa will have told them to do away with their pureblood mania because of what Harry did for them,
    "Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends; those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends".

Harry was a means to an end for Narcissa. She wanted to make sure her son was safe. The Black family was quite racist and subscribed to the pureblood superiority theory quite on their own merit, with the exceptions of Isla, the second-generation Phineas, Sirius and Andromeda, and *possibly* Cedrella and Alphard. Narcissa herself is quite a blood purist; she was quite vicious to Hermione on at least two separate occasions (the Quidditch World Cup and at Madam Malkin's in HBP). She's not going to suddenly turn into a Muggle-lover. She and Lucius BOTH are far more likely to tell Draco and their descendants to play their cards close to their chest; while the political winds are blowing in a way that is supportive of Muggleborns they will give every public appearance of so doing, although in private is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper
    I think putting Scorpius is Slytherin is the obvious choice. Itís the Malfoy family tradition,
    Draco is as much a Black as he is a Malfoy. And Slytherin is also a Black family tradition. His children will be as much Blacks as Malfoys (unless they marry their own cousins, which is a strong possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper
    I donít think you can have him be sorted into Hufflepuff and still be the same Malfoy we are accustomed to; you know, slimy and scheming Ö a troublemaker.
    Please bear in mind that Slytherins are not, by definition, "slimy" and "troublemakers". You have that perception because it's the perception of Harry Potter, who at the best of times is completely unobjective about Slytherins.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrly donut
    So it's spelled 'Scorpius' then?
    Yes. Like the constellation. Much like Draco, Orion, Cassiopeia, Cygnus and Pollux are. Regulus, Sirius, Arcturus, and Bellatrix are all individual stars.

Merlynne
    ...unable to resist...

I agree with the tradition aspect of Scorpius' placement as a Slytherin. Also, you might want to consider who his mother would be in his placement. The epilogue doesn't say much about Mrs. Malfoy, so you can interpret her as you will. If Scorpius ends up as any house other than Slytherin, it won't be because his father made him so. I don't think any Malfoy would end up as a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor, just because Slytherin and Gryffindor are polar opposites (historically, though not by definition. Gryffindors and Slytherins can have a lot in common: pride, for instance). It'd say Hufflepuff is out for Scorpius because I don't think Malfoy would raise his first born, possibly only son to be anything other than a Slytherin. He'd want the boy to carry on the tradition. If you were desperate to have him out of Slytherin, I'd say your only bending of likelihood would be Ravenclaw, and Scorpius would have to be very unlike his father: more academic and less petty. If you can explain a childhood that would create a Scorpius like this, then you might be able to pull Ravenclaw off (same with the other houses, I guess. You'll have to explain a childhood that would create a Scorpius that doesn't take after Draco).

Because of the rivalry set up by JK in the epilogue, I would suspect that she means Scorpius to be a rival for Harry and Ron's kids. She hints to a similar rivalry as was between Harry and Draco themselves when Ron urges Rose to beat Scorpius in every test. For a rivalry like this to best mirror Harry and Draco's, or Ron and Draco's, I'd say Scorpius would have to be in Slytherin. I'm 99% set that this is the only option. There one percent room, however, for a very well explained alteration.

(I had to throw in my 2 knuts even though you seem to have come to your conclusion. I couldn't resist. I'm taken up writing a fic about this character at the moment, too)

wewillmissyou
    I was thinking Scorpius could be Ravenclaw, because though we catch a breif glimpse of him, I don't think he would have the arrogance Draco had. I think that to avoid family conflict, unless thats what you like, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are out. But Ravenclaw would be an acceptable choice if Slytherin wasn't his house. And think putting him in Slytherin would ruin or severly limit his relashionship with Rose, as J.K. Rowling so blantaly set up (Probably for all of us fan-fiction writers, who sigh heavily over and Romeo and Juliet kind of romance, ). But that's my opnion.

witch6
    i agree with cmwinters that all the gryffindors have to be saints, they just have to be brave enough and likewise all the slytherins dont have to be EVIL!! i think scorpius will land up in slytherin as i really think he would have inherited his father's cunning nature but i just dont think that draco still has an extreme racist attitude. i think that his talk with dumbledore would have changed him and so would his life being saved by the trio twice. i know that draco and also the slytherins in general are very grateful but if you think of it narcissa could have told voldemort that harry is alive after enquiring about draco! so i guess draco doesn't hate harry any more and would be kinda grateful. about racism, i dont think draco is that big a racist as he was earlier. i mean he wouldn't go around calling muggle-borns 'mudbloods' but wouldn't be happy and a would definitely protest if scorpius marries one. i know most of my post has been about draco but i think he is a big influence on scorpius, so it should help. so, basically i picture scorpius not as a particularly sweet and humble boy but as an arrogant, cunning and not a racist or a particularly bad person. also, i would like to point out that being cunning or being resourceful (in terms of people) means u have to be evil! Slytherins are not all bad!!

Ghoul in Pajamas
    We don't know anything about Scorpius' childhood. He may be an arrogant jerk like Draco who was brought up with all of his family's pureblood mania. But after the war, we don't know much about what happened to the Malfoy family.

The whole Wizarding World knows they are Death Eaters, so Scorpius surely won't have that 'I'm better than you because my family's so great' attitude that Draco had. For all we know, he'll be shy and embarassed because everyone knows about that. Or maybe he's taken the whole pureblood mania thing to the next level and he's our next Tom Riddle. (I know, that's a bit far-fetched!)

We also don't know anything about his mother. She's most likely a Slytherin with pureblood values, but she could be a Ravenclaw.

Scorpius is an interesting character because you can really do anything with him, since we know so little about him and the Malfoys after DH.