Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remus and Tonks (DH Spoilers)

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls

Remus and Tonks (DH Spoilers)

Again, MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Anyway, does anyone recall if it was mentioned exactly how Remus and Tonks were killed? Where? By whom?

Would it be okay if I wrote a story where they both were killed by Sectumsempra?

LuckyRatTail
    Aberforth tells Tonks that he last saw Remus duelling Dolohov (chapter 31, can't recall the page at present), but I don't think there is any other mention of who might have killed either of them. It's possible that Remus died duelling Dolohov and then Tonks went after Dolohov for revenge and was killed by him as well.

Harry sees them lying together in the Great Hall and it says it looks as though they are asleep, which would suggest that they are unmarked. Therefore, I'm not sure if Sectumsempra would be the way to go, might be better to stick with good old Avada Kedavra.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    In one of her post-release interviews, JKR confirms that Dolohov killed Remus and says that Bellatrix killed Tonks, but I don't recall her saying exactly how they did it.

I think I'd have to agree with LuckyRatTail about the way they died considering their descriptions after their deaths. Sectumsempra seems to be a very bloody curse, and I think Harry probably would have noticed that.

edit to add that Tonks is also told that Remus had planned to take his group of fighters into the grounds before she took off to find him, so they might have been killed outside the castle.

red haired mom
    I would have to say with the descriptions on how they appeared in death as looking as though they were asleep, another spell was used.

Sectumsempra could have been used if it were confined to their backs, and they were cleaned up before Harry saw them, but that seems unlikely.

Avada Kedavra doesn't leave marks, but usually the dead have their eyes still open.

I would use something non-bloody, but with enough punch to kill. Maybe the curse Dolohov used on Hermione in the DoM. It would have killed her if it were spoken aloud during casting, but nonverbal did, "quite enough damage to be going on with" according to Madame Pomfrey OotP.

Since he is the one who killed Remus, I would say he used that one. Just think up a name for it and remember purple slashing flame.

Hope that helped, and Good luck on your fic.

~Wendy

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    The problem is, I need a curse that will allow for a bit of pre-death conversation. I sort of wanted Remus to be able to speak to Tonks and vice versa AS SHE IS DYING. And for him to die after her, just as slowly, giving time for laments and thoughts...is there something like that I can use?

red haired mom
    I think knowing what he had done to Hermione in the DoM, Remus would have known it was a possibility that spell would be cast. And I believe they are about the same age, so he might have known even more about it than, say, just anyone dueling with Dolohov.

The curse would have to hit just right, and Remus would have to blunt it just enough to make it kill him slowly. Maybe it broke ribs, that puntured something when he fell.

With Bella killing Tonks, I would have to say, she saw Remus fall and Bella hit her from behind with something nasty. I don't know what, except for AK, but at least she could talk to Remus, and say goodbye before the AK hit her and she died first.

I have read a great story on Tonks and Remus' deaths. Check it out and see what you think, and it might spark another idea on the curses.

Here is the link to Chaser921 's Falling into Darkness :http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/...th-7th%20Years

I hope I have helped in any way, and let me know when you get the story written. I would love to read it.

~Wendy

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Thanks so much for your help! I'll have to think about it - although I'll probably take the easy way out and wind up making it AU.

But I have another question: who was it that died first? Tonks or Remus?

LuckyRatTail
    I'd imagine it was Remus that died first, as he was 'last seen' dueling Dolohov, which would suggest that he was killed before Tonks got there. For your story, you could have it that Remus is injured when Tonks finds him and then she becomes injured as well. I agree with red haired mom about Dolohov's curse, and that Remus might know how to prolong his death for a short amount of time.

For Tonks... I don't know. Bella might know some particularly nasty way to kill someone slowly (that seems like the sort of thing she would do). Perhaps a curse that destroys the brain? Drives the person slightly mad while it works? Or something that rots you from the inside out, or paralyses you?

Hope those lovely suggestions helped, good luck ;o)

AurorKeefy
    I would use something non-bloody, but with enough punch to kill. Maybe the curse Dolohov used on Hermione in the DoM. It would have killed her if it were spoken aloud during casting, but nonverbal did, "quite enough damage to be going on with" according to Madame Pomfrey OotP
    I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but I had always assumed (well, at least after HBP) that the spell Dolohov used on Hermione was Sectumsempra. I don't have OotP on hand, but I recall the wand movement and light of the spell being very similar to Sectumsempra. The fact that it was non verbal meant that the slicing element of it was lost, though the pressure and punch remained the same. Compared with what Potter does to Draco in HBP - the effects seem similar, though of course Snape was immediately on hand for that, which is probably why Draco managed to hobble away from it. Aside from which, Dolohov would be more adept at using that particular spell than Potter, so what hit Hermione probably had more punch - though thankfully the slicing element was, as I say, lost.

I eagerly await being proved completely wrong.

red haired mom
    Quote Originally Posted by AurorKeefy
    I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but I had always assumed (well, at least after HBP) that the spell Dolohov used on Hermione was Sectumsempra. I don't have OotP on hand, but I recall the wand movement and light of the spell being very similar to Sectumsempra. The fact that it was non verbal meant that the slicing element of it was lost, though the pressure and punch remained the same. Compared with what Potter does to Draco in HBP - the effects seem similar, though of course Snape was immediately on hand for that, which is probably why Draco managed to hobble away from it. Aside from which, Dolohov would be more adept at using that particular spell than Potter, so what hit Hermione probably had more punch - though thankfully the slicing element was, as I say, lost.

I eagerly await being proved completely wrong.

There hasn't been, to my knowledge, a description of the wand movement, or the color of the spell Sectumsempra, in any of the books. Every time Harry used it in HBP he wildly waved his wand or slashed his wand. No mention of the color at all, either in the bathroom against Malfoy, or in the cave with the Inferi.

While it actually may be the same spell, I still lean strongly towards it being another one that Dolohov has made into his signature.

I am of the opinion most of the Death Eaters have their own signature spells, as they believe Harry's is Expelliarmus, and Dolohov wouldn't want to use someone elses. He would want to show The Dark Lord that he is more clever than Snape.

I will admit, whatever the spell is, it is indeed nasty and unless silenced and shielded, could kill. I guess we have to wait to see what you put in the story to find out if we have helped or hindered your quest for answers BloodRayne.

~Wendy