Thread: Madam Rosmerta

Hybrid View

Pepper Imp

Madam Rosmerta

Alrighty then. Yesh, this is a thread on Madam Rosemerta -- and I'm going to ask a few questions.

/lame opening line

*cough* Anyway, I've just begun to plan a Sirius/Rosemerta WIP, and all last night these questions kept popping into my head. So, have at it!

What would you expect her hair/eye color to be? I want to say that she'd be a blonde, most probably dishwasher blonde. And for eye color - maybe blue or brown? Would that be so out of the question?

What do you think her exact age would be - or as close as possible - during the Marauder's seventh year? I'm guessing around 20-something, but I'd like some more clarification.

What do you think her personality would be like? Does she strike you as the type of woman who would welcome a male's advances, or someone who'd kinda "I'm a woman and I can stand up on my own" kind of persona? What about being used to the Hogwarts boys *coughroncough* making goggle eyes at her?

What do you think her attitude to work is? For some reason I see her as one of those "We can do it!" kind of women... *headdesk* Gah.

What about her name? The Mugglenet Encyclopedia says that Rosemerta is most likely her last name - what do you guys think? If it is her last name, what do you think of Heidi for her first name?

I'm also guessing that she's a Half-blood - any thoughts? And I was thinking of putting her in Gryffindor, since that seems the place where she really fits. Again, any thoughts?

Well, I'll come back with the rest. They seem to not want to be posted -- they keep slipping away from me! *grr*

-- Cammie

PS. Regarding the appearance questions, I'm sorry if that's not supposed to be in here, but I thought that it would keep both the newly-cleaned forums tidy if I just asked all my questions in here... if that's okay with you. If it's not, feel free to delete/move.

I_LUV_MOONY
    What would you expect her hair/eye color to be?

I always thought of her as having thick brown hair. Sort of like Hermione's, but more manageable and wavy. And then blue eyes. However, blonde would make her seem more like the perfect beauty (blonde hair, blue eyes).

What do you think her exact age would be - or as close as possible - during the Marauder's seventh year?

21 or 22 sounds pretty good to me. You have to keep in mind that Hogwarts boys are still making eyes at her twenty years (give or take) later, so don't make her too old.

What do you think her personality would be like?

I think she may be a little shy about a male's advances at first. When she's still getting used to men staring at her openly she may be a little shocked. But over time she gets used to it and can ignore it successfully. As for your question about Hogwarts boys: While she's still young (i.e. Marauder-era) she may find it flattering and/or slightly creepy (and she may date a seventeen-year-old), but as she gets older and matures she just ignores it.

What do you think her attitude to work is?

I think she takes it pretty seriously. No one would be exclaiming over her best mulled mead if she didn't.

What about her name?

I agree that it's probably her last name. 'Pomfrey', for example, is Madame Pomfrey's last name (her first name being 'Poppy'). I'm a little iffy about her first name being Heidi, though. It just doesn't seem to fit her to me.

I could definitely see her as a Gryffindor. However, if she's a hardworker, don't you think she'd be a better Hufflepuff?

Well, I hope I've helped you in any way, shape, or form!

cirelondiel
    I always pictured her as a brown-eyed brunette, actually. But I can see her as a dishwater blonde as well.
    And for eye color - maybe blue or brown? Would that be so out of the question?
    That wouldn't be out of the question at all... I don't imagine her with blue eyes, personally, but it's never been mentioned so you're free to do whatever you like (unless you'd like red or something. That's pretty out of the question )

What do you think her exact age would be - or as close as possible - during the Marauder's seventh year?

21 or 22 sounds pretty good to me. You have to keep in mind that Hogwarts boys are still making eyes at her twenty years (give or take) later, so don't make her too old.
    I'm in agreement with I_LUV_MOONY there. That sounds reasonable.

Well, in trio-era she seems to me to be quite relaxed and friendly, and I don't think she's creeped out by the Hogwarts boys. She probably gets quite a few males advancing on her- she probably treats them all nicely and doesn't lose her temper, she may be a bit flirty but I definitely think she's got a pretty strong character and wouldn't be afraid to stand up for herself when needed. ....I hope that all made some sort of sense In Marauder-era, when she would have been quite new on the job if you make her 21-ish, she may have been a bit more freaked out by male's attention but she probably learned to deal with it pretty quickly and just treat them all in a friendly manner.

Hmm...I think she keeps the pub clean and likes to treat the customers well...she's probably quite a hard worker, but then again she's not averse to relaxing on the job- she sat down with Fudge, Flitwick etc in PoA. So she's not obsessive about work. I think she really enjoys her job

What about her name?
    I always assumed Rosmerta was her first name actually... I'm pretty sure Ron, Fudge etc. have all just referred to her as 'Rosmerta', and it would seem odd to me if they addressed her by her last name only. Also, it just seems like a feminine, first nameish name... But, if you want to make it her last name, I suppose it could be. I actually think Heidi sounds like a good name for her if you make her last name Rosmerta...

For her house - I think Gryffindor or Hufflepuff... they're where she seems to fit based on my perceptions of her...

And blood - half-blood would be fine

I hope you can find something helpful amongst all of that! Good luck with your fic

~ Cirelondiel

ThisIsNotMe
    What would you expect her hair/eye color to be? I saw her with hair that was a very rich brown colour, with reddish/auburn highlights. It would be very thick with luxurious waves, a little below her shoulders...and held back with a black band (I don't know why...). Her eyes would be very striking, but I'm not sure what colour. Probably blue.

What do you think her exact age would be - or as close as possible - during the Marauder's seventh year? In her early twenties, maybe even younger - straight out of Hogwarts perhaps? So I think between 18 and 23

What do you think her personality would be like? Does she strike you as the type of woman who would welcome a male's advances, or someone who'd kinda "I'm a woman and I can stand up on my own" kind of persona? What about being used to the Hogwarts boys *coughroncough* making goggle eyes at her? Duriing the marauder era I see her as a quietly confident girl - she knows that she's attractive, and will flirt casually with boys but she is quick to stop anything 'inappropriate'. Very much an 'i can take care of myself' type, on the inside, but she appears a bit quiet on the outside. To me.

What do you think her attitude to work is? Her attitude to work is one of 'if i have to do this to make money, then I may as well enjoy it' i think.

What about her name? If we follow the precedent set in canon, with Madame Pomfrey, then Rosmerta must be her last name...but I can see that she might not be comfortable with the formal tone of being called by her last name and 'madame' all the time, so maybe she settled for a compromise? She seems to be quite casual, unlike Madame Pomfrey, so I think it's plausible...and anyway, Rosmerta does seem much more like a first name than a last name

chasing_willow

Ah, Rosmerta =) *cracks knuckles*

I don't think she'd posess any sort of extraordinary hue in either.
    The colors I most encountered in Europe were a dirty blonde/ash blonde for hair and grayish, greenish, jade-like sort of color for eyes.
    It's very lovely - don't get me wrong!
    I think tarnished bronze-colored hair is greatly under-valued, as are mossy, grayish-green eyes

^^ kind of like this
    or this
    It's more common than the scandinavian bright blues or baltic silvers.
    Hazel greens [one and two] are common too.
    finding random people on google image search is fun!

Twenty - twenty-one?

I imagine her to be pragmatic - noblesse oblige, but with a good heart, good hopes and a sense of humor - when it's safe to show them all.
    Working with so many people day in and day out puts you on fast track to disillusionment.
    Not in life! Towards people. You're much more likely to humor them than to actually believe them.

How would she handle male advances?
    From my experience (I worked as a lab tech/department assistant at a large university for three years), you get used to it.
    When she'd just started the job and her age wasn't so far from the students', she might have taken it to heart - blushed, smiled and perhaps even giggled while nobody's looking.
    But after a while, you do really just humor people - get flattered or get annoyed - depending on the kind of people who are gawking at you or the kind of day you're having.

Does she strike you as the type of woman who would welcome a male's advances, or someone who'd kinda "I'm a woman and I can stand up on my own" kind of persona?
    I view Rosmerta as an independent woman - being the big poobah of the oldest and busiest inn in Hogsmeade and becoming famous for her wine and so forth would require all the independence and strength she could possibly have.
    She does probably want attention, affection and comfort, but she hides it well.

How about the boys and their goggle eyes?
    That's what teenage boys do! They stare, they drool and they whisper.
    She was definitely used to it around the time the Trio came around, but in the Marauder era, it could have been still very novel to her.
    She could have very well gotten anxious, but I also think she'd conceal it.

I'm sure she considers it as tiring as anyone else would, but I'd assume she, by then, had gotten the hang of things, plus things concerning food seem to be something she has a knack for, thus she'd also find parts of her work quite enjoyable.
    It usually feels nice to do something you're good at.

What about her name?
    I think it's a first name. From what I've read, with such a name, she's either German, Dutch or Danish - in one of my favorite children's stories, there was a girl named Merta, which could have been short for Rosmerta or whatever else.
    Hmm.. if she's as Danish as I think she might be, you can give her any eye coulour you want, but I do think that if it was something amazing, it would be mentioned at least indirectly.

I'm also guessing that she's a Half-blood - any thoughts?
    Half-blood. But could be pureblood as well, after all not every pureblood family has to be like the Blacks or the Malfoys.
    Nah, probably half-blood or otherwise mixed (muggle/muggle-born grandparents).

House?
    I think she's a Hufflepuff - inn ownership (Hannah Abbott), cooking magic (Helga Hufflepuff) and the amounts of hard work it all requires pointed you in the right direction.

hermybabay82

Personally, when I picture Rosemerta I see a Sunny and Cher era Cher, before all the plastic surgery. I can just see her wiping down the bar singing 'Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves.' So probably dark hair and eyes and a lightly tanned complexion.

I'm thinking probably early to mid 20's.

Probably pretty jovial.

I have a very good feeling that she loves her work and the people she deals with on a regular basis.

What about her name?

I'm going to have to disagree with Mugglenet on this one, I too think Rosemerta is her first name. I have plenty of people that I know that I call, for example, Miss Rhonda... it's just a sign of respect.

How would she handle male advances?

I think it would depend upon the male in question and whether or not she fancied him as well. I can picture her taking some of them in stride, or just flat telling them off, but others I think she may have fancied their attention especially if they were regulars and good tippers for her not berating them.

Does she strike you as the type of woman who would welcome a male's advances, or someone who'd kinda "I'm a woman and I can stand up on my own" kind of persona?

With or without a man, I think she is a very strong woman either way.

This I'm not so sure of, though I don't believe she would be a pure blood unless she possibly owned the tavern.

House?

I think I'm going to have to agree that she was probably in Hufflepuff, it seems to be the one house that contained people who genuinely got along with everyone pretty easily.

PadfootnPeeves
    I think she'd have brownish-blonde hair, and either hazel or brown eyes. I also imagined her tan, too, isntead of fair-skinned.

I think perhaps 20-ish- she said in PoA that James and Sirius 'used to make her laugh' so I don't think she's that old, but not, say, eighteen or so.

What do you think her personality would be like? Does she strike you as the type of woman who would welcome a male's advances, or someone who'd kinda "I'm a woman and I can stand up on my own" kind of persona? What about being used to the Hogwarts boys *coughroncough* making goggle eyes at her?

I think she'd have a good sense of humour, and be rather forgiving and easy-going. But if someone broke the rules in her pub, she'd probably fire right up at them.
    And I agree with everyone else about the 'goggle eyes' thing.

Don't put much pressure on yourself, but but keep the pub nice and clean and safe, yadda yadda yadda.

What about her name?
    I think Rosmerta is her first name. It sounds right, in my opinion.

Yeah, half-blood sounds good.

And I was thinking of putting her in Gryffindor, since that seems the place where she really fits.
    Either Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, perhaps Hufflepuff.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I always pictured her as a brunette/almost black hair that's wavy (not bushy like Hermoine's) and brown eyes, pale skin, and red lipstick. I think she's one of those women who gets prettier with age, though, so you don't really have to overdo it.

21 or 22 sounds about right

I think she would be used to it because she would have gotten it at school/work and in the streets. She's probably internally flattered but plays it off like it's no big deal in front of the guys, and ignores them.

I don't know if this is supposed to be when the Three Broomsticks is just starting, but if so, I think she would be working really hard to get it on it's feet. Even if she's just taken it over from another owner, she'd probably be the same way. I think she gets more laid back when she's older and The Three Broomsticks is successful and such. But if she's just a waitress then she'd have the typical laid back, "It's only work" attitude.

What about her name? The Mugglenet Encyclopedia says that Rosemerta is most likely her last name - what do you guys think? If it is her last name, what do you think of Heidi for her first name?
    I always assumed it was the last name, though I really didn't give it much thought, so it probably doesn't matter. I like the name Heidi, but that makes me think of a Scandinavian name, so maybe you could work that into her story (and make her a blonde, in that case!)

Half-blood seems fine.

And I was thinking of putting her in Gryffindor, since that seems the place where she really fits.
    She seems like she could be a Hufflepuff if you go with the hard-working thing, because I don't know where we have an example (from canon) of her being brave. Unless that ties into your story.