Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Act VI

Yellow_Rose
    10,000 is right for an English independant school but, from my experiance, Scottish ones are generally cheaper around about 8000.

LucillaJoanna

How much do you spend for school supplies?

Thank you, emmaholloway, Heather25x and Yellow Rose!

Now I have a new question:

We're talking pounds here, so I ask. Phew! Do you know that one pound equals 98 pesos in my country? How much do you get for school supplies? With some allowance left for, say, unnecessary cute stationery and some hotdogs and ice cream after the shopping? Thank you! This is my last question for now here, and expect shoutouts in my fic when it's validated.

~Joanna

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

It depends. Some schools charge a fee that includes a lot of the supplies like books and lunches etc. Some don't and the price varies accordingly. A half decent school blazer, for example, will cost at least 40. My son is off to grammar school next september and we have just been given the kit list and costs and it isn't pretty. 75 for sports kit alone. As a rough approximation it is going to cost 180 for clothing, that's before the books etc.

So I reckon, for a mid-ranking public school that does not include books in its fees, you would need about 200-250 for basic equpment and sundries.

Unnecessary cute stationery costs from 1 for a pen to maybe 10 for a really nice notebook. Ice creams, again, about a 1, hotdogs roughly the same. 20-30 should be enough for some really nice treats.

A non-boarding grammar in the North of England charges 8000 and that charged is levied on a term basis, three terms per year with the option to pay by monthy direct debit. The further south you go the prices rise accordingly. I believe it costs around 35,000 a year for a boarding place at one of the top schools, Eton. Usually the difference between boarding and non-boarding is around 7,000 per year, but these costs may not include things like laundry.

Also, it's worth noting that quite a few public schools still operate on a single sex system. Two seperate schools for boys and girls, or they are schools aimed at just one, like the Cheltenham Ladies College.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Love_is_4ever
    Do you guys say 'dummy'? You know, as if you're trying to tell someone to stop being an smart-a** (Sorry, didn't know what else to put!), but in a playful way, not really meaning it... You know, that kind of playful bicker that goes on between a young couple. I have her telling him "Shut up, you big dummy." Does that make sense to you guys?

If not, what do you say?

~ Samarie

PS:
    Okay, I will use idiot and hope for the best. Thanks Weasley24!

Weasley24
    Well in Britain 'dummy' means something that baby's/toddlers put in their mouth. I'm not sure what other country's call them.

I wouldn't say dummy more twit, eejit, idiot.

Hope I helped (:

EDIT: Magical Maeve - Please be careful when posting profanities/slang. The word I've edited out is considered by many to be an offensive swear word.

Heather25x
    I don't think many people use dummy like that. We're more likely to call them an idiot or a moron or something offensive (Sorry if those words aren't allowed, i'm not sure if they are or not)

But yes, as Weasley 24 said, a Dummy is what we call the thing that goes in a babies mouth (pacifier...[sp] ).

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Heather:

1: You have a double post. This is not allowed; you need to edit your first post.

2: There was absolutely no need for the rolling eyes icon. The word I deleted from the previous post was a term for a certain part of the female anatomy that is best not aired on a public forum. Okay? I think this is an instance where you need to credit the moderators with at least an iota of common sense.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Heather25x
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Maeve
    Heather:

1: You have a double post. This is not allowed; you need to edit your first post.

2: There was absolutely no need for the rolling eyes icon. The word I deleted from the previous post was a term for a certain part of the female anatomy that is best not aired on a public forum. Okay? I think this is an instance where you need to credit the moderators with at least an iota of common sense.
    OK i didn't realise i double-posted, sorry! I completly bypassed the fact that i'd posted before. I'll try not to do it again.

I'm not comppletly sure what you mean by the second point. I put the eye-rolling icon because we Brits seem to use swearwords a bit more often than more polite words like Dummy, which was the word we were talking about. I thought this was rather typical of us, which was why i said it, not because you deleted that word in the last post. I know i should've made that obvious or not said it at all. Sorry. I do have commen sense, i just wasn't sure it moron would be allowed as some people consider it swearing. I was just being careful. In the post you edited you said "please be careful when posting profanities/slang", which was what i was doing. I am sorry for not being clear about what i was saying, i know you were perfectly right to correct me on this, but, with all due respect, i was a little offended by being told i needed to use commen sense, which i have. I am sorry for the rule-breaking, i will be more careful next time.

EDIT: Magical Maeve: I didn't say you needed to use common sense, I said you needed to credit us with some common sense - although now that you have made it clear what you actually meant it's redundant anyway. Just goes to show we need to be careful where we use those rolling eyes.

CakeorDeath
    Quote Originally Posted by LucillaJoanna
    Thank you, emmaholloway, Heather25x and Yellow Rose!

Now I have a new question:

We're talking pounds here, so I ask. Phew! Do you know that one pound equals 98 pesos in my country? How much do you get for school supplies? With some allowance left for, say, unnecessary cute stationery and some hotdogs and ice cream after the shopping? Thank you! This is my last question for now here, and expect shoutouts in my fic when it's validated.

~Joanna
    Do you mean pocket money? I get around 30 a month. I don't buy my own school supplies (you mean stationary right?) so I spend it on going out, magazines, choclate.

harrypotterfangirl21
    Do British people call it "going out" when two people are boyfriend and girlfriend, or do they have another term for it? (This is for a Marauder-Era fic, if that makes any difference...)

Thanks is advance.

- Katie