Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Act VI

emmaholloway
    I was going to suggest Islington!!

Also, things are unlikely to get stolen in Trafalgar square. Its so busy, and there is always police around, theres no way you would get away with it. As for the pigeons they went in ahout 2004, so if you're writing before then, they would still be there.

With somewhere to work, I'm not sure about the medicine thing, as anything with medicine would make him like a doctor... but you said buisness man. Big buisness areas could be somewhere like canary wharf.

bertiebott12
    Hello British People!

I am purely American, and have several questions, but they all take place around 1937. It is a Tom Riddle/Minerva M. fic.

1) What are some popular British greetings at that time?
    2) What goes on in a British orphanage? I expect they wouldn't have tea...
    3) Would they use phrases such as,"Swell" or "Imagine that!"
    4) Would sarcasm be used?

Thank you!

*Claire*

apollo13
    1) What are some popular British greetings at that time?
    2) What goes on in a British orphanage? I expect they wouldn't have tea...
    3) Would they use phrases such as,"Swell" or "Imagine that!"
    4) Would sarcasm be used?
    1) Well, Hi wouldn't be used, but just plain old Hello, Good morning, Afternoon would.
    2) Wouldn't have tea?! I assure you, by that time, kids were better looked after!! In the Victorian age, then, yes, they wouldn't really be cared for, but by the 1930's then they would be given the basic needs and a few wants.
    3) No - swell is pretty much American. In the 1940's the term "wizard" was used, but I'm not so sure about the 1930's.
    4) Oh, yes. Sarcasm was probably used by the British when we were still running around with clubs yelling "Ugg". By that, I do not mean football matches.

~Evie

hermybabay82

Wink

***DH Spoilers--some what****

I'm currently writing a drabble about Percy Weasley placed roughly in the beginning of DH after Voldemort has taken over the ministry. Now I know that after the end of GoF he moved out of his parents house and into a room at the Leaky Cauldron, but I'm sure within the two years that pass he has found a flat somewhere. I'm looking for a district or village of London that I could put him in. I'm currently thinking about placing him in the Twickenham district on Sherland Rd, mainly because I like the name. I don't even know if there is housing in that area so I'm needing some information on it if anyone has any. If Twickenham isn't a good choice, which area would you suggest? Please keep in mind that I would prefer something in the London area.

Thanks,
    Stacy

emmaholloway
    You havent really said what kind of area that you want him to live in. I've never actually heard of twickenham even though i live in london so i don't know what the area is like. My suggestion would be to find out about that area. Type it into google, or wikipedia and see if it is what your looking for.
    Also, it wouldn't be called the twickenham district, it would just be twickenham.

If you can specify what you are looking for I will probably be able to give you more help, but as for now I can't really do much else. Someone else might be able to help more.

hermybabay82

Wink

In regards to the type of neighborhood for Percy, I'm looking for more of a warehouse type area that has been converted into flats. Something with an urban feel, lots of muggles around with parks and everything.

Again any suggestions are greatly apprecciated!

Stacy

tha_looney_one
    Heyyyy.....

The Three Broomsticks Weekly Challenge is about Bonfire Night- but I'm American so I've never celebrated it . When I looked it up on Wikipedia, the entry mentioned some traditions, but was rather skimpy on the topic of traditional foods. Are there any sort of treats that Mrs. Weasley would make for her kids if they're at home for the holiday? I need something for my drabble idea, in which George reflects that life always goes on, using memories of Bonfire night treats as a metaphor. I've yet to decide if he loves or hates the food in question. Can anyone help??

apollo13
    Well, to be honest, it wouldn't really be a holiday they came home for. It's not major, and there isn't really very much traditional food - most people just have a BBQ. Hot dogs and hamburgers and stuff.

~Evie

tha_looney_one
    Really??? That seems sooo... normal. Well, it works. BBQ, huh? Never would have thought. And Mr. Weasley would love trying out a grill.... *cackles evilly *

Thanks, apollo13!!

emmaholloway
    a bbq?? in november!! it's far too cold for a barbeque and will probably be raining. my house always has jacket potatoes. But there really isnt anything traditional about it. Just the fireworks.

They live near a hill i think so they might go up there to look at all the fireworks going off around them. or have a big bonfire in there garden.