Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Being British Act VI

CakeorDeath
    TyrannoLaurus does your Grandad use the phrase mither? As in "ah hush your mithering". My Mum is from Northen Irland and she uses it often.

Also what about Gomrell hound? As in an idiot.

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Hey, guys. I can see there are lots of people here who will help me immensley if supplied with the correct info.

My two OCs are from the Irish countryside (like...a farm or something) and are in Harry's era. As for the upbringing, well, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I will say that they have had pretty orthodox parents.

By the way, where is Cobh, exactly? I mean, near the city or the country? And what's it like? Is it sort of a suburb or what?

SiriuslyMental
    Their upbringing as in - where were they raised, what socioeconomic class (working/middle/upper), etc.

Ellie4Harry
    Sorry to keep posting like this If you want me to stop, let me know!

By the way, where is Cobh, exactly? I mean, near the city or the country? And what's it like? Is it sort of a suburb or what
    ? I've been there! *is great*
    Cobh is in County Cork (a county in the south of Irelnad) and is on the outskirts of Cork City. It's not really a suburb, it's a harbour town. And the titanic actually sailed from Cobh! (just thought I'd throw in a fun fact!)

If you want anything more specific, feel free to PM me!

As for well to-do people sounding more British ... hmm, they might have a more decipherable accent but I wouldn't say they'd sound more 'British'. From an English perspective, they still sound very much Irish. I know Irish folk who have lived most their lives in England and still sound Irish.
    I'm sorry, I phrased that badly. Some of the well-to-do people do have less of a thick accent, but they do sound far from British. What I meant to say is, they would sound a bit more normal to British ears.

Anyways, I'll go away now! (Sorry if I bothered anyone with my ramblings and bad phrasing!)
    Cheers,
    Ellie

MaiaMadness
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrannoLaurus
    My Grandad, who came from near Belfast, uses "Ma" and "Da" all the time.
    I've heard that before. "Da" particularly. Not sure if it's an Irishism, but I believe it might at least be a Belfastism. I love the Belfast dialect!

I'd also like to add that it seems like the word "wee", as a term of endearment (whether to a child or a sibling or friend or even a parent) is relatively common, at least in Northern Ireland (as well as Scotland). Am I right in this? As in, people speaking of their mother as "wee mam/mum/ma"? I believe I have heard/read this, perhaps particularly regarding family, spoken with an Irish accent on several occations.

CopLopARopA
    Just so you know, I have a rather extensive post on the Irish accent at the beggining of this thread (page 1) with audio clips(YAY!).

SiriuslyMental
    I've heard wee used in Ireland and England, but not ridiculously commonly. Mostly just when speaking to young children, and more Ireland than England.

MaiaMadness
    Ooh, I have a direct quote to the "wee" thing, now. The Belfast character Kit from the comic book series John Constantine: Hellblazer, more specifically the issues written by Garth Ennis, refers to her mother as "our wee mother" and her brother as "my wee brother" (although he really is her younger brother) as a term of endearment. Same character also calls her father "da".

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

I've heard wee used predominantly in the north of Ireland. It's very common amongst the Northern Irish. We use it all the time. I'll have a wee drink, just a wee one, wee lad, in a wee while... Not sure about the extent of its use in the south, although I have heard it. One explanation for the predominance in the north and its use in Scotland is the amount of migration that went on between Scotland and Ireland.

Concur about mam. Not just Irish. It's used a lot on the North East coast of England as well as Yorkshire. I have quite a few friends in Newcastle who call their mothers mam. And Ellie4Harry was also correct in saying that it's not as common as you might think in Ireland. Hubby would never call his mother mam, and I've not heard it used much in the north. It does crop up frequently in novels, however. Usually grittier ones set in Dublin, which may suggest there's a certain social strata that use it. Ma and Da would certainly be acceptable rurally.

As for other Irishisms. You'd need a decent book of slang! Just a couple of the top of my head: Desperate instead of terrible ("that's desperate, so it is"), Chancer for a person trying their luck ("He tried to get an extra portion of chips for nothing, the chancer."), babby with a hard a instead of baby, big man when refering to the boss or as a term of teasing affection ("Go and see the big man." or "Calm down, big man."), Eejit instead of idiot (commonly thought of as one of those stereotypical things, but it is commonly used.), kip for a place that's really scruffy or untidy ("This place is a kip."), Fair play is used a lot to indicate a good result ("He got the job; fair play to him."), a police officer is a guard (South only.), the heel of a loaf of bread is the crust (hubby drives me nuts with this one), mitching is playing truant, a jaggey is anything prickly (nettles/thistles), skiffing is when it's spitting rain, a beach is a strand (never drive a car on to Portstewrart strand or you will have to get a tow out!) and whist means keep quiet (an equvalent of shush). That's realy just the tip of the iceberg. There are slang sites out there, but beware, most of them have the full fruitiness of Irish slang and there is plenty of profanity. Some of my favourite pieces of Irish slang would not be repeatable here.

Mithering: My gran used to say that all of the time and somehow I just assumed that was a Manchester thing, but it could well be Irish because she was, although she'd been a long time in England. Not heard it used especially in either place, but that's quite interesting that it could be Irish in origin. Oh, and Gomrell Hound brings to mind Lurgan Spade. If someone says you have a face like a Lurgan Spade it means you look miserable. This is very localised Northern Irish though.

Howya is a good general greeting, but my favourite Belfast greeting would be 'Bout ye? This is a contraction of what about you?

Some interesting comments here; I love a good slang/accent discussion. We could do with Brosna to stick her head into this thread, I'm sure she'd have something to add.

(Father Ted is an excellent, reasonably contemporary, example of spoken Irish, but it is littered with swear words and adult themes, so I couldn't recommend it if you are underage. Failing that, Ballykissangel, while twee, is also a good source to listen to the general accent.)
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    May I know the British equivalent of the word, 'dude'? (Apart from 'mate', that is)

And could someone please tell me whether there's a train that takes you from London to the North of Scotland? How much time does it take to reach? Are there sleepers in trains or do people just and sleep for overnight journeys? Are the doors automatic?

Thank you in advance!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.