Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Act VI

Heather25x
    On the "smart" side of the discussion, we do use it to describe intelligent people. It's very very common, but perhaps "clever" is slightly more common.

We do use guy, but only the younger generation does, really. We sometimes use it instead of boy or man, if we don't know which to use. We'll use boy for "he's just a little boy" but where you might use man we might use guy, simly because we're unsure when to use it nowadays.

And on the "funny" side, we definitely do. We might say "that was so funny" or "she's really funny" or "that smells funny" or something. We use it as other countries do.

Just thought i'd add a bit more to the answers

CakeorDeath
    On the smart issue we don't use it for being cheeky or rude to teachers or parents. We usually say "don't answer back" instead of the American "don't get smart"

garyf
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    We usually say "don't answer back" instead of the American "don't get smart"
    I'd have to disagree there - it does get used a lot.

CakeorDeath
    Quote Originally Posted by garyf
    I'd have to disagree there - it does get used a lot.
    Really. Aw well you live and learn. Where do live?

Heather25x
    I don't necessarily hear "don't get smart". I'm more likely to hear "Don't get bigheaded". We tend to use a different word than "smart" in that kind of context.

garyf
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    Really. Aw well you live and learn. Where do live?
    All over the place. At the moment a combination of the north east, north west, west London and south Wales - I get about a bit, and hear a lot. A dictation machine is wonderful for stealing writing ideas.

I don't necessarily hear "don't get smart". I'm more likely to hear "Don't get bigheaded"
    That would be something completely different.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

I agree with Gary here. I've lived in a fair few bits of the country and don't get smart is fairly common and has been for a good long while. I think we can safely say you can use it in the specific context of someone trying to be clever in a cheeky way. Don't answer back would be a rather more formal phrase, I think, possibly used by said teacher. As a parent I'd be more likely to use the smart phrase. Backchat could also be used.

As Gary pointed out, big headed is a different term with a different meaning; used for someone who has let something go to their head and is being either obnoxious about it, is bragging or generally has an over-inflated sense of their own acheivements.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

LucillaJoanna

average private school tuition in Britain?

I mean a reputable private school that doesn't flaunt their quality through school fees. And an eleven-year-old is about to be in secondary school, right? Thank you! If you can name a private school known for the description I've said above, more thanks and some disabled Canary Creams!

emmaholloway
    it would really depend on where you are and if the child is boarding or not.
    I think an average would probably be like 10,000 for someone who wasn't boarding and then 15,000 for someone who was.

There are also Grammar schools, which don't have fees but you have to pass an exam to get into, I'm not sure who funds them... I think they are partially government funded so they are still considered independant.

Heather25x
    I agree with Emma. Most private schools cost around 10,000 a year, and for most you have to pass an exam to get into the keep the "standard high". In my opinion you can learn just as much from a normal school but, i won't start on that