Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Act VI

leahsm2

oops. forgot I asked

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric'sGirl
    I think what you're thinking of as an attorney is what we would call a solicitor. But yes, a barrister will go into court whereas a solicitor is used for civil matters, although you could also use "lawyer" to describe either of these. I'm sure someone who knows more about the British legal system will be able to go into far greater detail for you though.
    Thanks. I thought there was a different term for it!

Heather25x
    Back to the Wing It question, just thought i would add that it is used often. I use it, my friends use it, it's quite common. Ron uses the term in Deathly Hallows

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Do the Brits use the word 'smart' for an intelligent person? Someone once told me they didn't. Just checking, for a fic I'm beta-ing.

padfootsgirl1981
    Yes us brits do use the word 'smart' .

emmaholloway
    We most certinately do. I'm sure JK herself uses it in reference to hermione.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Thanks! I'm gonna have to hunt down my old beta... (Luckily, no one from this site.) She also told me Brits don't say 'guy,' which I discovered was totally wrong after watching an interview with Dan Radcliffe...

harrypotterfangirl21
    Do Brits use the word 'funny' to describe a humourous situation? Or do they have something different that they say?

- Katie

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Yes we use funny.

Just as a side note to smart; while we certainly use smart, we never use smarts, as in book smarts. As far as I am aware this is definately an Americanism.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Vindictus Viridian
    Quote Originally Posted by garyf
    In criminal cases the prosecution will be the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) similar to what would be the DA's offices in the US. In civil cases would be Claimant v Defendant. Rather a few months ago VV asked for details on how a trial breaks down and I posted that here - that thread may have been archived but it may be worth searching for it, or asking her if she still has the information, as there was rather a lot and it might be useful for you.
    moonymaniac (and anyone else following this thread for bunnies), it was back in January if that's any help for hunting it down -- I know using the "Search" functions around here can be an inexact science bordering on art. A good bit of substance is also in the PMs Gary and I exchanged afterward; if you feel you're coming up short, I kept those for reference and could forward. We also got into the difference between Wizengamot trials and the Muggle ones a little bit.

Googling "Barrister" and a few other prominent terms from Gary's post above may also get you a website explanation or two of what a British trial looks like. I seem not to have kept my bookmarks from that project, alas.

Weasley24
    Quote Originally Posted by harrypotterfangirl21
    Do Brits use the word 'funny' to describe a humourous situation? Or do they have something different that they say?

- Katie
    Yep we say funny. We also say funny is somethings wierd or different like "That pasta tasted funny," or something like that.

Hope I helped
    Sarah

EDIT: Sorry didn't notice that Magical Maeve had already answered your question (: