Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Regulus Black

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Regulus was sixteen when he became a Death Eater. I wouldn't call him a perfect Slyth too because of Kreacher. If her was a true Slytherin then he would make him drink the stuff. I'm just going to put out there that people should like Reg. He's not that bad of a guy. Does it say anywhere that he did something terrible?

Bine: 1 point from Gryffindor for not following rules concerning altering of font/colour.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by ron lover
    Regulus was sixteen when he became a Death Eater. I wouldn't call him a perfect Slyth too because of Kreacher. If her was a true Slytherin then he would make him drink the stuff. I'm just going to put out there that people should like Reg. He's not that bad of a guy. Does it say anywhere that he did something terrible?
    "Slytherin" doesn't mean "evil."

What did he do that was terrible? He joined Voldemort and became a Death Eater.

It's nice that he had a change of heart when someone he personally cared about (Kreacher) was threatened, but apparently until then he thought torturing and killing Mudbloods was just fine.

He may have been like Draco -- a posturing git who never really thought about the realities of what he was getting himself into -- but like Draco, willful ignorance doesn't absolve him.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    He may have been like Draco -- a posturing git who never really thought about the realities of what he was getting himself into -- but like Draco, willful ignorance doesn't absolve him.
    Well, this could be true but I think Sirius probably made him think. If his brother was all 'this is so not right.....' then he probably must have wondered WHY he was saying this.
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    That is exactly how I picture him, actually - naive to what exactly it was he was really getting himself into. In fact - I could be wrong, but I think - in an interview somewhere JKR said just as much. Personally, I think in the beginning he really believed in what the Dark Lord was saying and I think he truly wanted to join - but I don't think he really knew how dark it was until he was in the thick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron lover
    If her was a true Slytherin then he would make him drink the stuff.
    As Inverarity pointed out, being Slytherin doesn't necessarily mean evil. Just as his change of heart or his feelings toward Kreacher don't make him not a true Slytherin. While I don't think he was a 'perfect' Slytherin, I do think he was a true Slytherin, and that it was the right house for him. While most Slytherins probably would have had Kreacher drink it rather than themselves, it doesn't mean its something they all would do - and I think that fact is exemplified in Regulus. I'm sure he wasn't the only Slytherin to ever show a bit of heart, and personally, I think its a bit unfair to the house in general to assume so. Its why I'm glad JKR made someone like Regulus, who could very well be very much a Slytherin, but still obviously have feelings where people always assume they do not.

Bine: 1 point from Hufflepuff for not following rules concerning altering of font/colour.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Do you think Regulus would know how to use Legimency ( I don't have a book with me to check the spelling) by his 6th year?
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

late_stranger
    Well... that seems to be up to you. There aren't, to the best of my knowledge, any indications of how good of a wizard he was. Legilimency (I looked up the spelling on the HP lexicon) isn't taught at Hogwarts, obviously, but the Black family was involved in the Dark Arts, so he may have learned from his father.

However, it is made out to be very difficult, so it would take a good deal or work and determination. So, it depends on how you characterize Regulus, I think. If he's generally hard working and determined, I would say yes, it's possible. Also, I think he definitely would be a Legilimens by the end of seventh year, when he was also a Death Eater.

LifeAtRandom
    Question... would it be terribly OOC to portray Regulus as someone who didn't quite buy into pureblood supremacy? I know his parents tried to instill those beliefs into him, but he was also someone who respected house-elves and did eventually defect. Would it be believable to characterize him as someone who was simply into the dark arts and joined the Death Eaters for family loyalties?

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    I think it's reasonably believable that Regulus didn't fully buy into the Pureblood supremacy, particularly as he grew older. People change, so Regulus' beliefs would probably not have been the same throughout his whole life.

It is possible he had plenty of other motivations for becoming a Death Eater rather than just strong belief that Pure is better and so on. I expect that his parents would have put a lot of pressure on Regulus to be the perfect son, particularly after Sirius ran away. Regulus never had quite enough courage to openly defy his parents. Perhaps he thought that by joining the Death Eaters, his parents would be proud and ease off that pressure a bit.

Like you said, too, it is possible his motivation was an interest in Dark Arts. After all, pureblood supremacy and the Dark Arts don't necessarily have to be connected. A person could be interested in one and not the other, and the Dark Arts could be used for many other aims aside from wiping out Muggleborns.

Amazing banner by the talented Minna!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    I'm sorry LifeAtRandom, but I think it would be OOC. I think it would be far more IC to say that Regulus maintained his belief in pureblood supremacy right until the end. We know for a fact that the Black family tried to instil pureblood values into Sirius and Regulus- with Sirius they failed, and I think because of this Regulus would be even more tied to the family values- being the 'good son' rather than the rebel.

He joins the Death Eaters when very young, so must have been enthusiastic/ intelligent and completely involved to do so- so I think an interest in the Dark Arts is a must, as well as a belief in pureblood supremacy. Thinking purebloods are better than Muggle-borns and liking house-elves are not mutually exclusive- therefore I don't think Free-Elf's point holds.

Regulus, for some reason, experienced a very radical change in a very short space of time- and while you could say he no longer believed in pureblood supremacy, as long as you back this up, I don't think you can say he never believed in it.
    Banner by Minna.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Hi

I agree with Alex (Welshdevondragon).

Personally, I've always assumed that Regulus was a Pureblood supremacist (a racist, like the rest of the Black/Malfoy/Lestranges). The tipping point for him was, I think, Voldemort's treatment of Kreacher. It's obviously perfectly acceptable for a Pureblood to abuse their servants (the Malfoys certainly do). But Regulus seems to have been genuinely fond of Kreacher (the reverse is certainly true). I think that Voldemort's abuse of a trusted servant (and friend?) was what turned Regulus. I think that he was clever enopugh to regocnise that Voldemort regarded everyone and everything as expendable, and he recognised the danger.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers