Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Regulus Black

herm_own_ninny13
    If you think about it, Regulus was really the perfect Slytherin- he was ambitious enough to try to take down Voldy, and he was cunning enough to figure out the Dark Lord's secret.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    [jumps in] Reg is my favorite character (well, one of them ... definitely my favorite to write) and I miss this thread, so I'm reviving it. YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by herm_own_ninny13
    If you think about it, Regulus was really the perfect Slytherin- he was ambitious enough to try to take down Voldy, and he was cunning enough to figure out the Dark Lord's secret.
    I agree with half of this. I wouldn't say Regulus was the perfect Slytherin, but I do think he definitely had some Slyth traits. I agree with what you said about his being cunning enough to figure out Voldy's Horcrux situation, at least to a certain extent, but I don't think his decision had much at all to do with ambition. What would he have gained? I'm sure he didn't think he would gain anything. He had to have known that taking down the Dark Lord, or even attempting, would be no small task. If the actual deed didn't kill him, I'm sure he thought the other DEs would get wind of his betrayal and that would be a grievous consequence indeed. Either way, he had to have known that, for him at least, it would not end well. So, no, I don't think his taking down Voldy had anything to do with ambition, really.

While I'm here, I was reading through the thread again, and I want to comment on this:

Quote Originally Posted by TCole
    I don't think that Regulus wanted to join the Death Eaters at all. I wrote about this in a chapter of my WIP, World of the Dead. I think that Regulus only joined the Death Eaters to prove to his father that he was worthy of being the "perfect son". Sirius was always the perfect son when they were little until he went to Hogwarts and basically changed his opinion on everything he was taught while growing up. I think that Regulus joined the DEs because it was his way of proving to Orion that he believed in the same things as Orion did. It was his way of trying to show his father how different he was from Sirius; that he could actually show how he felt about the purity of blood by joining the DEs.
    Whoa, wait. Regulus didn't want to be a DE at all? I find this really, really hard to believe. I mean, look at what we know of his room. Here's an excerpt we get from DH when Harry, Ron, Hermione visit Regulus' teenage bedroom:

Beneath this was a collection of yellow newspaper cuttings, all stuck together to make a ragged collage. Hermione crossed the room to examine them.

"They're all about Voldemort," she said, "Regulus seems to have been a fan for a few years before he joined the Death Eaters...."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    Chapter Ten: Kreacher's Tale, Am. Edition, pg 187
    I highly doubt that someone who 'seems to have been a fan for a few years before he joined' didn't want to be a Death Eater. No one forced him to do it; in fact, his parents were never Death Eaters themselves, though they may have supported the Dark Lord's cause. That is not to say that his parents would not have been happy, perhaps proud, but I don't think the only reason Regulus joined was to please his father. Family influences were great, yes, and I personally think they came from other family members as well (like Bellatrix). I think from this, though, we can gather that Regulus did indeed, at least at first, admire such a group of misguided people, so I think he knew what he was doing and he wanted it. I think you're putting too much stock in the need to please a father; I don't think all his eggs were in the one basket, so to speak.

I'm not saying that wasn't a huge factor. It never says that Sirius was 'the perfect son' when they were little, and I don't believe he was. The animosity Sirius holds does not happen overnight, though it probably did while he was at school. Still, by the time he's on the train that first time, he already shows rebellion against Slytherin House, so obviously it wasn't just school and friend influences. He didn't just go to school and suddenly decide what he'd grown up learning for 11 years must be utterly wrong. It started earlier, and while I think The Blacks probably showed a greater liking to Sirius, being the eldest and therefore the heir, I don't think he was the 'perfect son'. Still, Regulus probably picked up on the favoritism, and he was probably a little envious. Not only that, but I think we've covered that little brothers generally look up to the older ones, and given that Sirius was the favorite and then fell, Regulus probably seized his chance to come out on top.

So I think it was a little of both that ultimately led Regulus to make the decision he did. Yes, he had great family influence, and probably a large bit of him wanted to prove to his family that he could be what Sirius was not. But I also think a large part was the Regulus did admire the Dark Lord and what he was doing, and that he did want to be a Death Eater. The fact that he did it so young probably shows he was a little too eager in both of these needs and didn't entirely think it all through.

[takes deep breath]

Wow, I said a lot. I'm done for now, but I shall check back...

xox
    nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Hatusu
    Beneath this was a collection of yellow newspaper cuttings, all stuck together to make a ragged collage. Hermione crossed the room to examine them.

"They're all about Voldemort," she said, "Regulus seems to have been a fan for a few years before he joined the Death Eaters...."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    Chapter Ten: Kreacher's Tale, Am. Edition, pg 187
    I agree with some of your points, Nikki, but I always interpreted this quote differently. I took it a subtle *wink-wink* sort of moment from Jo to the fans who had already caught on that Regulus was RAB at that point in DH.

I figured that Hermione interpreted the meaning of the newspaper articles incorrectly. In my opinion, they were there for two reasons. First, Regulus probably collected all the information he could about Voldemort in order to research how to best destroy him. After all, Dumbledore had to do years of research to discover Voldemort's secret, so it makes sense that Regulus would collect all of the information he could about Voldemort's past and present, searching for the key to his immortality. He probably had the information prominently displayed in his room so that people would get the very idea Hermione had upon first looking at them -- the idea that he was a Voldemort worshipper in the vein of his cousin Bellatrix. He might have posted them to throw his family and friends off the scent.

Otherwise, why would the articles still be posted in his room, even after he turned against Voldemort and tried mightily to bring him down?

I'm inclined to agree with earlier posters that Regulus was pretty much disgusted with Voldemort from the start. He joined up shortly after his brother ran away from home, and I think distancing himself from Sirius and proving to his parents that he was the "chosen" son was the driving factor in his decision. I believe that Regulus may have been momentarily fascinated with the glamour and mystery of the Death Eaters, and the power of Lord Voldemort, but other than that he never agreed with Voldemort's policies. Once he saw what it really meant to be a follower of Voldemort, he decided to take extreme measures to distance himself from that ideology.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    YAY discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy
    I figured that Hermione interpreted the meaning of the newspaper articles incorrectly. In my opinion, they were there for two reasons. First, Regulus probably collected all the information he could about Voldemort in order to research how to best destroy him. After all, Dumbledore had to do years of research to discover Voldemort's secret, so it makes sense that Regulus would collect all of the information he could about Voldemort's past and present, searching for the key to his immortality. He probably had the information prominently displayed in his room so that people would get the very idea Hermione had upon first looking at them -- the idea that he was a Voldemort worshipper in the vein of his cousin Bellatrix. He might have posted them to throw his family and friends off the scent.
    Hm. You know, I never thought about it like that, but I can see that as entirely possible, even probable. While I still think that Reg held some sort of fascination, even slight, I'm sure it was probably short-lived. Yet still, I can see Jo having Hermione misinterpret what she sees so that perhaps the reader will fall into the same trap--and then I'm embarrassed to say that I did. I can hear JKR's evil laughter now at foolish readers like me.

On the other hand, perhaps we're reading too much into it and it is exactly what it is meant to be, that Regulus did want to be a Death Eater early on. This is me playing Devil's Advocate, by the way. Its all a matter of interpretation and opinion, and that's what I love about this particular character.

lol. No, but really, in my opinion you have a point. Since we know how he turned out and which side he turned to, I can absolutely see that as an explanation. I never really thought he was a Voldy worshiper, but I don't know that I think he was disgusted from the very start either. I believe that, especially being so young, he wasn't sure what he wanted, who he should trust, and which side he should be on, at least not entirely. That is not to say he was a completely disillusioned teen, because I do believe he was smart enough to have some sort of direction, but I'm not sure he would have been that accurate and that precise about it. Death Eaters are tricky business, after all, and Regulus was only sixteen and he was certainly not Snape (by that I mean not as skilled). I think he would have gotten a great deal of influence from Sirius and what Sirius had done, but he was a Slytherin and therefore had Slytherin peers, not to mention pressure and prejudices from the family. I firmly believe that Regulus, while having obvious Gryffindor traits, had some Slytherin ones as well. I see him as a somewhat darker Sirius, if you will.

Basically, I think think at one point he did want to be a Death Eater, however small and short-lived that part of him was. But I think he quickly realized what it meant and that he did not want to go that extreme in that direction, so he chose to do the opposite.

The main point I wanted to get across was that I don't think it was all for Orion or even Walburga that Regulus joined up. If that was a factor at all (and though I think it was) I don't believe it was the largest factor.

Though if you think about it, it seems that for all their wants and attempts, this would mean that Walburga and Orion were unsuccessful in instilling their beliefs into not one son, but two. Strange odds, it seems to me. Perhaps unlikely? Maybe. Or maybe they were just bad parents. (Well, DUH, Nikki) lol.

--grace slick

Victoire
    posted by: fg_weasley
    I agree with half of this. I wouldn't say Regulus was the perfect Slytherin, but I do think he definitely had some Slyth traits. I agree with what you said about his being cunning enough to figure out Voldy's Horcrux situation, at least to a certain extent, but I don't think his decision had much at all to do with ambition. What would he have gained? I'm sure he didn't think he would gain anything. He had to have known that taking down the Dark Lord, or even attempting, would be no small task. If the actual deed didn't kill him, I'm sure he thought the other DEs would get wind of his betrayal and that would be a grievous consequence indeed. Either way, he had to have known that, for him at least, it would not end well. So, no, I don't think his taking down Voldy had anything to do with ambition, really.
    I agree with fg_weasley, I would not say that he is a perfect Slytherin but he does have Slytherin characteristics. He is very cunning, but once again I agree that him figuring Voldemort out had nothing at all to do with ambition. It was courage, a trait strongly associated with Gryffindors. This I beleive goes back to the two houses not being all that different, (Sirius Black, Regulus' brother deffinatly shows some Slytherin like qualities but it sorted into Gryffindor) and that they sometimes may just sort too soon (as Dumbledore states). In several cases I beleive that too be true. In the case of Regulus, who sacrifices himself for the lives of others, setting his veiws that he was raised upon aside. And also in the case of Severus Snape, a man who showed an awesome amount of courage devoting his life to making things right. So tell me now, was Regulus really the perfect Slytherin? Or perhaps was he just sorted too soon..?

Secret Seeker
    I had a thread done in the Character exploration class about Regulus Black and there's a point I want to ask about.

With regards to previous topics and debates, I posted the following about Regulus:

I don't think Regulus fully understood how deep the hatred of muggles was, and I have a feeling that that's how he became a Death Eater in the first place. I don't think he was much of a fan, although we do know that he had talked about becoming a Death Eater for quite a while. I think he just thought that not having to hide from muggles would be better for them wizards, or he had believed what his parents had probably told him over and over about the disgrace of non-magical people. After all, children think that their parents are perfect (at least at an early age) and that all they say is correct. Even further in life, when not properly an adult, the parent's influence would leave its mark. I imagine Regulus was what we'd call 'naive' when he joined Voldemort. I think he joined for a number of reasons, though namely because he wanted to show his parents that he was a proper son and that he wanted to do something beneficial for the cause of wizards and the purity of blood. However, he didn't know the implications of what he was really doing, and that, as he later found out, Voldemort's method's and actions were a little too extreme.

Now, I'd like to know whether you think that he would have been a good Death Eater. I think he would have been, though possibly out of fear. But I think he was very smart too, like Sirius being good at whatever he did. However, I also think that at a certain point he was naive enough to think that what he was doing was for the greater good.

I would like some opinions on this, please.

-Martina

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I definitely agree that Regulus was naive when he joined the Death Eaters; I'm sure he had no idea what he was really getting into and, as you said, how deep it was. I do think he was a fan of Voldemort and what he was trying to do - as you said, because of family influence, as I'm sure he believed part of it, and also because we know he had all those clippings about Voldemort on his bedroom walls. I think he admired the Dark Lord at first, to a certain degree and, liek I said, because he was naive and probably thought it was 'for the greater good', so to speak.

I don't, however, think he was a good Death Eater, out of fear or otherwise. My personal opinion is that his first assignment would have really been what turned him - and by that I mean the first time he was asked to go out with the other Death Eater and really saw what they did and how bad it was, it was a huge fall to reality for him, and from then on he wouldn't have been as willing.

xox
    nikki

--grace slick

PurpleTree
    I agree that Regulus probably didn't know what it all was really about when he joined the Death Eaters and Voldemort. He was blinded by all the lessons his parents beat into him his whole life, his friends all were probably joining, and wanted to be the "perfect son" after Sirius ran away.

Over time, I think, he would have seen what everything was really about. Another theory I have is that perhaps he first wanted to please his parents after Sirius ran away, but after time, he wondered why Sirius did it (to some extent). Or maybe Sirius and him still were speaking and Sirius talked him and convinced him of something? I think that Sirius running away must have had some impression on him. There is so little said about this time and the characters that you could make up an event that really turned Regulus to good.

I think that he would have been a good Death Eater, though, just to be smart about. He wanted to find out as much as he could about Voldermort, and so would want to be on his good side. He would kind of like Snape, I guess. But all that time, he would be observing and planning and would find about the Horcruxes. Not totally, though.

In the end, he knew that he probably was going to die, and that takes a lot of bravery. A quality of Gryffindor, so perhaps it was in him the whole time, and he was just blinded by glory, his parents and so-called-friends, and it finally was forced out when he saw that what they were doing was actually very wrong.

~~Isabel

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Am I allowed to post links to Interviews here? It's linked on the HPL, so I'll just risk it... source

Hayleyhaha: Why did regulus have a change of heart
    J.K. Rowling: He was not prepared for the reality of life as a Death Eater. It was Voldemort's attempted murder of Kreacher that really turned him.
    And in case that's interesting for your fic:

James Farrell: Voldemort never told anyone about his horcruxes, so how on earth did regulus black discover his secret
    J.K. Rowling: Horcrux magic was not Voldemort's own invention; as is established in the story, other wizards had done it, though never gone as far as to make six.
    J.K. Rowling: Voldemort dropped oblique hints; in his arrogance, he did not believe anybody would be clever enough to understand them.
    J.K. Rowling: (He does so in the graveyard of Little Hangleton, in front of Harry). He did this before Regulus and Regulus guessed, correctly, what it was that made Voldemort so convinced he could not die.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    HI! Okay, maybe you guys mentioned it, or JKR did, but I just missed it. Do we know WHEN exactly Regulus became a DE?
    And i think regulus had some Slyth traits, but I wouldn't call him the perfect Slyth.

He loves Kreacher. *cuddles*

i apologize for this rather stupid post. Sorry!

Okay, i also think Sirius would forgive Regus given time, if Regulus would even have asked or wanted help. He was to proud, I think.
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR