Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulus Black

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    all right, thank you, cmwinters, for your help!

~nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Heather25x
    Hi. I was wondering how many years difference there are between Sirius and Regulus? And who's older? I'm guessing it's Regulus but you can never be too sure

Thanks!

~Heather

EDIT: Thanks, Nikki! Erm...i'm not sure if we know this from the books or anything, but what was Sirius and Regulus's relationship like? Was Regulus outgoing at all? Thanks

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Sirius is older, love, by about a year or so.

Anything else you need to know?

xox
    nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Azhure
    Erm...i'm not sure if we know this from the books or anything, but what was Sirius and Regulus's relationship like? Was Regulus outgoing at all? Thanks
    In OotP Sirius speaks of his brother (when he and Harry are looking at the family tree) with distaste. We can assume from this that Sirius thinks of Regulus the same way he thinks of his mother and father. Remeber that Sirius never did find out that Regulus died trying to defeat Voldmort, he thought that Regulus tried to got scared and tried to back out of the Death Eaters.

A lot of people, in their fan fiction, write that Sirius and Regulus were quite brotherly towards each other at first (sort of like how Lily and Petunia were in the beginning). I disagree with this. From what we know of Regulus, we can assume that he was just like his parents. Therefore, I assume that Sirius wouldn't have gotten on well with him.

Hope this helped!

~~Azhure~~

bluexroses
    I like to think that they would have been like normal brothers up until Sirius really figures out what his parents are like. This would have happened at an early age though, because his opinions are already set upon reaching Hogwarts. Being the older brother, he'd probably try to convince Regulus that the pure-blood "mania" wasn't right. Now Regulus, I think, would have seen how Sirius was treated for going against the family and decided not to follow. He'd be more afraid of his family's anger than his brother's disapproval. I sort of see Regulus as (for lack of a better word) a "mama's boy," wanting to be perfect for his parents. Children naturally want to be loved and cared for, and Regulus obviously saw more of that when he just did what he was told. He didn't have as strong a will as Sirius. We can see that because of his defection from the Death Eaters when he "got scared."

As for Regulus being outgoing, I really don't think he would've been very talkative. He probably wouldn't make friends easily if they were outside his family's social circle, though it is possible if done steadily over time.

Hope this helped a little!
    ~Ayesha

Amber0_o
    A lot of people, in their fan fiction, write that Sirius and Regulus were quite brotherly towards each other at first (sort of like how Lily and Petunia were in the beginning). I disagree with this. From what we know of Regulus, we can assume that he was just like his parents. Therefore, I assume that Sirius wouldn't have gotten on well with him.

But all of this depends on when Sirius began rebelling against his parents. We know that Sirius could not have been born inately knowing that his parents prejeduce was wrong, so something had to have happened to show him. Or, conversely, he had to rail against his parents for some other reason (I say the pressure he was under to be the Heir of the Black family) and to take up the side of the Muggle initally as a way to tick off his family, but later on (after he got to Hogwarts and actually got to know Muggle-borns) began to truly feel his family was wrong.

There could be some time in there, when they were both much younger, when Sirius and Regulus got along much better than they later did. When Sirius talks of Regulus he sounds more bitter than hateful, as if he is disapointed that his brother chose his parents over himself. He sounds as if he had once had a good relationship with his brother, but it later fell apart around him.

Although that may just be my interpretation.

~The Traveling Thespian Troupe

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

I think that we can assume that Sirius didn't openly rebel against his parents' beliefs until about fifth year, which was when his parents kicked him out. I think in their earlier years, Regulus would probably have looked up to Sirius, and Sirius would have either been really close to him or tolerated him. Regulus probably saw Sirius as his perfect older brother, although this image would have faded a bit when Sirius made Gryffindor.

As Sirius started to decide what he believed, Regulus probably was confused, and didn't understand why Sirius was choosing to believe this. That's when he probably started to argue with Sirius, and to dislike him more and more, because he was making their parents angry, which probably didn't make things easy for Regulus.

Kate (The Frying Pan Squad)
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

Ravenclaw_Soprano
    I think Regulus is a very complex character. I would think that he would (at least originally) want to live up to his parents' expectations, but at the same time, Sirius (as the older brother) could be one of his role models. The question comes down to: who was the stronger role model?

Yet in this way we see that Regulus has a little bit of his parents and Sirius in him; clearly he agreed with his parents' perspective enough to join the Death Eaters in the first place and to not rebel against them as Sirius did. However, it takes a lot of Gryffindor courage for Regulus to replace the lockets and die that way, knowing that he wouldn't even be recognized as a hero. Perhaps Sirius had a greater influence on Regulus than either of them knew?

It takes a long time to decide what you believe (trust me, I know... I'm trying to do it right now ); this is why Regulus follows his parents for his first years. I would think that rebelling like Sirius did would have made Regulus's life a lot more difficult. Those opinions were the ones he grew up with (since Sirius was only just deciding as well), so he chose to stay with them instead of completely revamping his attitude. He also saw how Voldemort was rising in power and decided that he wanted to ensure his own safety (a very Slytherin trait).

On the other hand, once he really started thinking about what he wanted, he realized that he didn't agree with what Voldemort was doing, and he figured out that he needed to do something about it. He probably also saw how wrong his parents' perspective was, too. That's where his courage comes in. He could have openly changed his mind and defied Voldemort; the rest of the Wizarding World might have thought him a hero. But no, he decided to be an unsung hero, working to take down Voldemort without his efforts being known.

One might argue that his efforts actually made Harry's job more difficult (since the Trio later had to retrieve the locket from Umbridge), but those problems were due to unforeseen circumstances. Here I am merely referring to the fact that he tried, and asked Kreacher to finish the job that he started, since he could not have known that the locket would get moved/lost in the shuffle.

My look at the brotherly love issue is that Regulus would probably look up to his brother to an extent; Sirius would likely be indifferent towards Regulus. Sirius, as the older brother, would feel responsible for his own actions, but since Regulus seemed to be agreeing with their parents, he might see Regulus as not being "on his side".

Just my $.02... or my $.10, once you've seen how much I wrote...

~Lauren of the Traveling Thespian Troupe!

dancing_in_moon_pools
    Quote Originally Posted by bluexroses
    I like to think that they would have been like normal brothers up until Sirius really figures out what his parents are like. This would have happened at an early age though, because his opinions are already set upon reaching Hogwarts.
    Hope this helped a little!

Who said his opinions are set when he reaches Hogwarts?
    maybe he's like not sure, and is angry when hes sorted into Gryffindor, but then comes to love it and his friends.
    Regulus probably saw how Sirius was punished and then firmly made his mind up to not be outcast like Sirius. And Regulus could have been the type when he was younger to believe anything he was told.
    Did anybody in Slytherin/Black Familes have options in becoming Death Eater's? It was like choose or die! Y'know?
    Well, Sirius-but he was disowned, black sheep, etc.
    I hope that helps!

quibblequill
    You see? This is why the Blacks are my favorite family to write about. I love interpreting this. In fact, this thread inspired me to write a fic focuing on JUST Regulus, I'm already planning it all out in my head......

*head in the clouds*