Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Weasley

Ryan The Wizard

Bill Weasley

I figured since Percy Weasley was considered a Main Character, I would throw Bill in here too.

Now, on to my questions!

What kinds of events do you think could logically happen in Bill Weasley's childhood? By childhood, I mean in the years before Hogwarts.

How would he handle rejection?

If he really wanted to do something, but Molly and Arthur forbade it, what would logically happen?

In your opinion, would Bill be the same kind of cool guy in his youth, or would he be insecure?

I think that's enough for a decent discussion.

maraurderinchief

Billy Boy

I've always thought of Bill as a dare devil, so I think he would have a lot of visits to St. Mungo's as a kid, for broken bones, etc. I don't think Molly would've wanted him to be a cursebreaker, but obviously he did it anyway. He seems like he would've been a cool guy, but when he was in first year he had Charlie and Peercy to compete with already. I think that would make him a little insecure, even as the eldest brother. If Bill got rejected I think he would probably mope for a few days, but pull himself together and maybe prank the rejector.

Hope this helps!

MIC

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The Wizard
    What kinds of events do you think could logically happen in Bill Weasley's childhood? By childhood, I mean in the years before Hogwarts.
    Well, remember, he's the oldest of the Weasley children. So while he may not remember Charlie's birth, or even Percy's, he'd definitely remember the twins', Ron's and Ginny's. He may have had chores to do to help keep after them. Molly is said to have home-schooled her kids, so he probably had to help the younger ones with their schoolwork.

Bill was born in November 1971 which means he would have started Hogwarts in September 1983. You can check Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971) (and increment that last number) for things that went on in the Muggle world, and he might have remebered things like Comet West (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_West).

In the Wizarding World, he may have heard Charlie nattering on about the rogue Antipodean Opaleye that killed several kangaroos in Australia, and he most certainly would have remembered the fall of the Dark Lord and the fate of the Longbottoms.

(http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/...0&endyear=1981)

Well, I think like anyone else, he'd be sad and hurt if he was rejected, but he'd probably pick himself up and dust himself off, and go about his business, probably trying to come up with a plan to make things work more in his favour next time. Not so much like James Potter, who went at Lily Evans like the proverbial battering ram, but more like someone who would be subtle and thoughtful about the consequeneces.

if he really wanted to do something, but Molly and Arthur forbade it, what would logically happen?

In your opinion, would Bill be the same kind of cool guy in his youth, or would he be insecure?
    I think as the oldest he'd be confident and strong, but probably at least as a younger child, obedient. Even as an adult he's not disobedient, but he's independent and thinks for himself and isn't cowed easily. He was Head boy and was surely intelligent as he passed all twelve subjects his OWL year. So I think he was probably confident and competent at most everything he set out to be, but is still respectful and hard-working.

I think on whether or not he'd disobey outright would probably depend on his age, the forbidden activity and the consequences. If they forbid him to cast spells at his brother and the threat was that Arthur would lose his job, he might not do that. If it was don't eat a biscuit because you'll get your hand slapped, and he really wanted it, he might chance not getting caught.

Ryan The Wizard
    Your response raises another question CM.

What sort of subjects would be taught by Mrs. Weasley to her children. Would she teach them maths and english? Or would they learn about wizarding world topics?

cmwinters
    Your response raises another question CM.

What sort of subjects would be taught by Mrs. Weasley to her children. Would she teach them maths and english? Or would they learn about wizarding world topics?

At the very least they'd have had to learn to read, write and spell—otherwise there would be no readings to do in Hogwarts and no essays assigned. They'd have learned some Wizarding history and cultural things like fairy tales and what a Wizard's duel is. They would have learned things like wand etiquette and I cannot even *comprehend* how some of those students would have gone through potions and Astronomy without basic science knowledge and basic math knowledge.

Hermione and Harry, who went to Muggle schools, weren't remarkably ahead of or behind their colleagues, so they all appear to be on more-or-less even ground at arrival.

AurorKeefy
    Whenever someone is writing about the Weasleys, particularly Bill, Charlie and Percy, I think that this particular essay makes for almost essential reading.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/ess...-dynamics.html

Although it is speculation based almost solely around dates of birth, it is both well presented and logical, and offers a valuable insight into what the characters may be like, and why.

angelicxdiscord
    Got a quick question about the Bill-man: If someone asked him how he got scarred, would he answer in an exceedingly cool manner? Or would the traumatic experience have dulled his easy going personality?

cmwinters
    I think he would be matter-of-fact about it. He may not give many details, though. Like, he could say "I got them in a fight" or even "I got them in a fight (or battle) at Hogwarts" without necessarily saying "I was mauled by Fenrir Greyback while trying to battle the Death Eaters who had broken into Hogwarts, care of Draco Malfoy's repaired Vanishing Cabinet".

It's likely that anyone he ran across would be aware that he was a member of the Order and fought in the FINAL battle, so they'd be likely to just assume that's where he got them and I think he would be perfectly happy to let them believe that.

See what I mean?

tbsbooboo

If he really wanted to do something, but Molly and Arthur forbade it, what would logically happen?

I think that's enough for a decent discussion.

I think he would handle rejection really well. Just let it go I believe.
    As for disobeying his parents, I think that he would disobey them, unless it was something extreme.

Also it is possible that he was cool in school, I like to believe he was, but he also could have grown into his coolness after he was finished with school. Maybe he picked it up in Romania?
    T

tbsbooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by angelicxdiscord
    Got a quick question about the Bill-man: If someone asked him how he got scarred, would he answer in an exceedingly cool manner? Or would the traumatic experience have dulled his easy going personality?
    I think he would have been cool about it and told some amazing story that made people look up to him, or something of the likes