Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts Scheduling

squirrly donut

Hogwarts Scheduling

How long is an ordinary lesson? How many periods are there in a day (4, 5, 6..)? When do classes end for the day? If you have anything else to add that I haven't asked as far as this topic, I'd appreciate it if you did.

MaiaMadness
    According to this page at the HP Lexicon, there are three or four classes a day. I guess four, or they wouldn't be able to have "double Potions with the Slytherins" in the afternoon.

Classes start at 9 am, there are two classes with short breaks in between. Then there is lunch and a break, and then classes resume at 1 pm. I suspect classes are a full hour long, or perhaps 50 minutes. So:

09:00 - 09:50 Class
    10:00 - 10:50 Class
    11:00 - 12:00 Lunch
    12:00 - 13:00 Break
    13:00 - 13:50 Class
    14:00 - 14:50 Class

And then the school day is over. I could imagine it to go something like that; that's how I usually have it in my fics.

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley
    I would just like to add that we know double lessons are an hour and a half long. So from that we can assume that an average lesson lasts for about 45 minutes. And once the students hit NEWT level (sixth year) they have more breaks than before, as they no longer have full schedules.

Hope this helps!

~Morgan

Sixth Year Ravenclaw
    Petrificus Totalus!
    I have a question regarding schedules: When do the students find out what their schedules are? Do they get them in the morning? At the start of the week? Or is everything planned out months in advance?
    Thank You~
    lurky! pm to keep in contact please!

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley
    They get them (the schedules) on the first day of term at breakfast, before their first class.

Hope this helps!

~Morgan

squirrly donut
    Thanks for the help! Wow, those Hogwarts students have it easy! What are they always complaining about in the books? I have 6 classes a day plus up to 2 hours of homework every night, with no breaks except for lunch. And I'm only a HS freshman.

emmaholloway
    I'm sure they have six lessons. In Half Blood Prince when they get their timetables Ron says to harry how they have a free period now, then one after break and another after lunch. I assumed that along with each free period there was a lesson, but I could be wrong.

Weasley24
    I thought that they had six lessons because in OOTP Harry and Ron complain about their lessons and I'm sure that they mention six teachers.

MaiaMadness
    Yes. Four periods; two before lunch and two after. They had three free periods in a row that day.

emmaholloway
    Well, if that is true and its also true that a double period is an hour and a half, then that would mean they only have three hours of lessons, which really doesnt make sense.