Thread: Slytherin Timetables

Pepper Imp

Slytherin Timetables

Yokay, well, this just occured to me. I would like to be like JKR and have all sorts on infomation that I may not need at the moment but could be an asset later... so, this is one thing that I would really like to get written down for reference.

I have a Slytherin OC (Carmen Isabella Reid) and I would like to have her schedule written down. She aspires to be a Healer, and all the core subjects are required for that - she's taking Care of Magical Creatures (to have another class with her Gryffindor BFF and because she wants to be able to identify different injuries from magical creatures). What other elective could she take?

I know that it is certain that the Slytherins have Potions and Care of Magical Creatures with the Gryffindors. We also know that the Slytherins have Herbology with the Ravenclaws. Are all the other classes taken with a single house in the classroom? Do I have complete liberty when it comes to assigning the blocks that those classes occur for my Slytherin OC (within the boundaries of what we know, of course)?

Alright, so this isn't JUST timetables. Feel free to chuck veggies at me if you wish.

Are the O.W.Ls taken with the entire fifth year in the Great Hall? I'm assuming that they are, since we see Snape with the other Marauders in Snape's Worst Memory.

Would it be possible for a couple of students to nick food from the tables and eat outside (mainly for lunch)? Or is that not allowed?

Thanks in ahead, and don't feel pressured to answer all the questions at once, since there are a lot of them.

- Cammie!

Dark_Lady_Z
    Hi Cammie! I'm not sure about the classes question, but...

The O.W.Ls I'm sure are in the Great Hall, because the had it in OoTP and the movie.

Yes, to the nicking food thing, since Hermione nicked toast for Harry after he was picked from the Goblet and had the fight with Ron.

I hope that helped Cammie!

Carmen Isabella Reid

AurorKeefy
    Right. Here is my mixture of assumption and fact. It's leaning rather more towards the former, admittedly, but hopefully with a good dose of logic behind it.

The core subjects are taken by everyone, so the classes are split into two groups (ie Gryffindor and Slytherins for Potions), because larger classes would be unmanageable. It was my assumption that almost all of those classes rotated their pairings - apart from Potions which, since Snape is so biased, the teachers supposed only the Gryffindors could cope with. It would be odd for Gryffindor to have just one of the core subjects with Slytherin, so I assume that we only truly notice it in Potions because it is "Snape and the Slytherins".

The Electives, however, are slightly different. Since students take two by choice, it is reasonable to assume that there is only one class per year during them (unless, for some bizarre reason, everyone in a set year takes CoMC say). While the sizes of classes will differ - CoMC having far more people than Arithmancy for example - they will all generally be roughly the same size.
    Now this assertion may go against parts of the books. Harry talks about CoMC with the Slytherins, for example. I suggest that he talks about this because there is a sizeable Slytherin contingency in the class, and Harry is much more interested in them than the benign Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Moreover, I think we see so many more Gryffindors and Slytherins in the class, because they are more suited to the subject and because friends tend to stick together. There may be one or two Ravenclaws or Hufflepuffs there, but they are in the minority. Look at how many Gryffindors in Harry's year take Divination and CoMC, and that must surely put Hermione on her own in both Anicent Runes and Arithmancy, which are, presumably, more heavily populated by 'Puffs and 'Claws.

During the OWLs, this of course still applies, and when it's a core subject, there is more than enough room to fit the whole year of Transfiguration students inside.

As for taking food from the tables, you may recall that Hermione brings Harry a stack of toast the morning after his name comes out of the Goblet of Fire, so that is a definite yes.

Hope that helped, and I'm sorry about the temporary Percy Weasley impersonation. It's been a long night.

Pepper Imp
    Thanks so much for that, Keefy! It really helped, and don't worry about becoming Percy Weasley.

But, I am still a bit confused. I read a thread a few months back asking about what classes were with who (I can't find it now) but it really didn't help me that much. What did come up though, is that people generally thought that subjects like History of Magic, DADA, and Trasfiguration were with just one class and was broken into Slytherins and Gryffindors in the movies to create more Draco/Harry (NOT A SHIP, heheh) rivalry.

So, I'm still a little bit confuzzled.

Anyway, this is what I've come up with:

• Potions - Slytherins and Gryffindors
    • Herbology - Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs
    • DADA - Gryffindors and ??? (if at all)
    • Transfiguration - Gryffindors and ??? (if at all)
    • History of Magic - Gryffindors and ??? (if at all)
    • CoMC - Mixture of all Houses
    • Divination - Mixture of all Houses
    • Arithmany - Mixture of all Houses
    • Muggle Studies - Mixture of all Houses
    • Flying Lessons - Gryffindors and Slytherins

Oh, and do flying lessons continue past the first year at Hogwarts?

- Cammie!

SlytherinTears
    Oh, and do flying lessons continue past the first year at Hogwarts?
    No, I don't think they do, because we would have heard mention of it, I think.

Also, I was under the impression that Gryffindors had DADA with Slytherins, but that could just be fandom talking..

AurorKeefy
    My fiction predates Harry's arrival at Hogwarts, and one of the first things I do at the start of each year is draw up a timetable, including class times and who is with who. As I said before, I assumed the mixture rotates, so rather than copying the patterns in Harry's year (or years), I just make up my own. Since we never see any other students in classes apart from Harry, it could hardly be classed as out of canon.

I have also assumed that Flying lessons don't take place beyond first-year, for the reason pointed out by Slytherin Tears.

As for single classes for Transfiguration etc (ignoring NEWT Level), I'd say this could go either way. Having just had a very quick scan of Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, there doesn't seem to be any mention of other people in DAtDA or Transfiguration (though I may be mistaken). However, we know for a fact that Herbology, another core subject, is taken with two houses. Why would Herbology or Potions be different from Transfiguration? Is there no mention of other students in these classes because they are not there, or because Harry is not concerned with them - unless, in the case of Draco, Susan Bones or Ernie MacMillan - he has a reason to be? I'm inclined to think the latter, not just for those reasons.

The number of students at Hogwarts is an iffy subject, because there are various differing accounts on the matter. For one, there are several points in the books describing "hundreds of students". However, we also know there are only eight Gryffindors in Harry's year (it seems ridiculous that there are any more who didn't get mentioned after six years of study). Even if we were to take this as slightly under a (conveniently sized) average of ten per house, that only leaves forty students a year. So two hundred OWL students, and a maximum of eighty (without allocating for people who leave pre-NEWTS) NEWT students.
    My own high school probably averaged a class size of just under thirty. Given the amount of banter and messing around most of the students still manage to get upto, classes of ten don't seem likely. I'd be much more inclined to assume it was somewhere around the twenty mark. Which would mean Transfiguration and co would be sat with two houses.

Which is, of course, not to say that the movies are playing to canon, which of course they are not.

Yadyadya Opinion Yadyadya.