Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Claws Cleverly Cleansweep the Competition

red and gold

'Claws Cleverly Cleansweep the Competition

Gather 'round team! *high fives Alex, Kris and Jess*

This is where we'll be posting our 100-word or less drabbles based on the Quidditch Prompt once we hash out the <.< >.> *whispers* secret plot details in our QWC Thread in Ravenclaw Tower.

Editing in with the posting order:

Our posting order is:

Me
    Jess
    Alex
    Kris

Oh, and team, we are each other's betas during this round-robin. If you see any spelling/canon errors in someone else's drabble, please feel free to *nicely* call attention to them in your own post. The writer can then go back and correct it in their drabble.

'Claws for the Cup! Woot!
    ~Captain Andi

red and gold

Aaaaaaand off we go!

Luna sat at the table reading the post. She smiled dreamily, then called out to her son, "Bertram?"

"Yes, Mother?" came the ten year old boy's voice, as he appeared at her side and looked at her expectantly.

"Grandfather Xenophilius wrote to tell us he's finally re-built his home, and wants us to come see it. Would you like to go?"

Bertram nodded excitedly. "And we'll be close to the Weasleys, right, Mother? Can we stop and visit? Maybe Hugo and Rose will be there!"

"Certainly," Luna said, "Now, if you're ready, we'll side-along Apparate. Here we go!"
    Whew! 100 words exactly.

I picked the name "Bertram" for Luna's son because it means "bright raven". Fitting, no?

Okay, team - we're off and flying! Woot Ravenclaw!!
    ~Cap'n Andi

Lady Granger

"Daddy!" Luna cried, flinging herself into her father's arms. "You've done a wonderful job with the house! It's so nice to see it built up again!"

"Ahh, Luna, dear, I agree. Where's Bertram? Didn't he come?"

"Yes, Grandad! I'm right here!" spoke a young blond boy, come from exploring the kitchen.

"This is such a neat place. I can't believe, Mother, that you lived in a chess-piece shaped house!"

"It's all about individuality, son, individuality," Xenophilius told his grandson.
    80 words.

Sorry for taking so long - computer problems, and they've blocked it from school, they think it's "gaming."

Ithinkrabis2people
    Xenophilius led his daughter and grandson inside. The boy trotted happily from room to room, quietly amusing himself while the grown-ups talked. Then they settled down in the kitchen for lunch.

After about twenty minutes, however, Bertram started fidgeting a little.

“Have you Antilliorts in your shirt?” asked the old man concernedly.

“No,” replied Bertram, his gaze flicking to the open window. “I just want to go and play…”

“Ah, I was the same when I was a lad.” Xenophilius’ smile became dreamy and wistful. “Could never sit still. Always wanted to be moving. That’s a Lovegood trait, my boy.”
    100 words!

Um, just a quick note; "grandpa" is a bit American. We tend to say "grandad" or "grandfather" if it's more formal. Also, we've gone from "Mother" to "Mum" - what's he more likely to call her? Luna called her mum "mother", I think, but she had been dead for a few years, so...

spoke a young blond boy, come
    Can you use "spoke" like that? I think "said" works better. And I reckon "come" should be replaced with "coming in from"...

*represses bossy inner-Beta*

Sorry, she can be so rude sometimes...

Lady Granger
    Thanks, I'll go fix that! But, yeah, you can use 'spoke' like that =)

schwartzandgrubennierre
    Xenophilius and Luna, deep in debate over the elasticity of Gernoblie droppings did not notice Bertram swinging his legs under the table, eyes fixed on the window. Laughing voices carried across the orchard, and Bertram couldn't take it any longer. "Oh, Mother, can't I go play, too?"

"I suppose so," she said. "But I'm not sure the Gernoblies would understand if you showed up without an invitation."

"No, Mother, the Weasleys! Can't you hear them?"

"Other way, around, Hugo! The tail goes behind you!" Ron Weasley's laughing voice rose above the tumult.

Hermione Weasley cried frantically, "Don't fall! Oh please, don't fall!"
    98 words! The first time I counted words it was about 155... I have poor concept of length. Hee hee.

Kris

red and gold
    Luna cocked her head to the side, listening intently. "It sounds like the Weasleys are trying to teach their children to ride a bindlewurdle. It is notoriously difficult to determine the head from the tail, is it not?" she asked her father.

Her father nodded sagely. "Right you are, Luna. Why, I remember one time - "

Bertram, who knew how these remembrances went, politely interrupted.

"I believe the Weasleys are teaching Hugo to fly a broom! Can I learn, too, Mother? It might not be as exciting as riding a thestral like you did, but I think it would be fun!"
    100 words -whew!

Go, team! Rah rah Ravenclaw!

** the word "bindlewurdle" is taken from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Lady Granger
    "Well, Bertram, I'm sure they wouldn’t mind," his Mother told him. "But, we did come to visit your grandfather, did we not?"

"Oh, yes, Mother, I know – though Grandfather, you wouldn't mind, would you?"

"No, I daresay I would not. It's about time you learned how to ride a broom, son. Luna, send over an owl, just to be polite about it."

"Oh, I'll send a Patronus, Daddy. They're much quicker."

Well, Luna, whatever it is that works for you." Looking over to his squirming grandson, he added, "But, hurry, I do believe that Bertram has Antilliorts in his shorts."
    Exactly 100 words.

Rah-Rah-Ravenclaw! Rah-Rah-Ravenclaw!

Ithinkrabis2people
    Bertram watched as his mother’s silvery hare darted off into the distance. He then tried to distract himself by counting the number of seashells that had been glued around the room.

He had counted one hundred and twenty-four shells when a reply came in the shape of an otter.

“Of course, Luna. You’re welcome any time! See you in a few minutes.”

Bertram hopped happily to his feet, a grin spreading across his face. He had never flown before, and was looking forward to learning immensely.

“Make sure you watch out for Conipurses,” warned Xenophilius as they said their goodbyes.
    Dead on 100. Got 108 first time...

Hey, where are our cheerleaders? Team mascots? *eyes empty stands*

schwartzandgrubennierre
    "Mother . . . I don't have a broom!"

Luna slipped her free arm, the one not burdened with her onion-shaped handbag, around his shoulders. "Don't worry, Bertram! I never had a broom, but Ron and Hermione still played with me!"

Bertram reached for his Mother's hand, and they clambered over the hill.

Ron, Hugo and Rose were tentatively hovering a few feet above the ground. "You see, you don't need to lean hard against it- you'll fall off! Just ease in that direction, the broom will know what you want to do."

"This old thing?" Hugo asked scathingly. "The Firebolt is ancient, Dad!"
    Had to cut it down from 116! That was a little hard. I really like how this is going so far.

Blue and Bronze all the way!
    Kris