Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator- Number Twelve

Hybrid View

Potterphile12

Ask a Moderator- Number Twelve

Please view our Frequently Asked Questions before posting your questions here, and also make sure your question has not already been asked. (These threads are searchable!)

[The more people ask the same question, the more pages there are, which cause more people to not take the time to read it, causing them to post the same question and the vicious cycle continues]

Please, allow MODERATORS ONLY to answer the questions in this thread.

If you have a question which doesn't need to be answered by moderators, please ask Dumbledore's Navy in the Check-In Desk.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    I have searched and had no luck finding an answer to this, so I have a question about including links in Author's Notes of stories. I have read the Submissions guidelines and FAQs, so I know we are not supposed to link to outside sites and not allowed to include images in our stories, but can we include a link to them if they are located here, in the BA or Dean's Corner?

Along the same line, can we link to anything here on the forums (ie. if one has a Dueling Club thread, so that if a reviewer has questions that would more easily be answered in that sort of thread than in a review/response, rather than bulking up our review count with QandA type things, or if we were to write something that might make rabid fans of certain characters scream, "He would never do that!" and we have a link to a thread that might defend our position)? Can we post such links in an A/N and tell readers to go there if they have questions, rather than having to defend/explain in the review responses over and over and..., etc?

If we can, would only forum members be able to view the threads?

*is not about to write something that might make rabid fans of any certain character scream, though she does take a Sirius is something of a player view on things* <.<

Potterphile12
    Quote Originally Posted by moonymaniac
    I have searched and had no luck finding an answer to this, so I have a question about including links in Author's Notes of stories. I have read the Submissions guidelines and FAQs, so I know we are not supposed to link to outside sites and not allowed to include images in our stories, but can we include a link to them if they are located here, in Dean's Corner?

Along the same line, can we link to anything here on the forums (ie. if one has a Dueling Club thread, so that if a reviewer has questions that would more easily be answered in that sort of thread than in a review/response, rather than bulking up our review count with QandA type things, or if we were to write something that might make rabid fans of certain characters scream, "He would never do that!" and we have a link to a thread that might defend our position)? Can we post such links in an A/N and tell readers to go there if they have questions, rather than having to defend/explain in the review responses over and over and..., etc?

If we can, would only forum members be able to view the threads?

*is not about to write something that might make rabid fans of any certain character scream, though she does take a Sirius is something of a player view on things* <.<
    These links aren't allowed in your A/N, but you may provide links on your profile page.

4. 09-05-2007, 11:29 PM

5. 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Flobberworm93
    I'm guessing we can't ask for help on original fiction or other fanfiction, but would it be ok to put up a thread for that in the room of requirement?

ix3thehpseries
    Hi. I can't post my own thread, but I can post replies on other threads. Is there a reason for this? A box popped up that said:

ix3thehpseries, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'm pretty sure that none of those have happened to me so, yeah, I'm really confused. Help?

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    ix3thehpseries - once you are sorted, you should be able to start threads in the appropriate forums. PM songbook99 for the quiz.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

TruGryf
    My corresponding author account (which is only used, so far, for reviews and viewing older-rated stories) got a fairly threatening sounding letter about leaving pre-validation reviews, saying that it slows up the validation of the story. How exactly is this possible? You're validating the story, not the reviews, after all.
    And why is it possible to leave a pre-validation review in the first place? There then exists no viable reason to link to an unvalidated chapter in the first place, so it shouldn't be listed.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Stories on a favorites list receive an email when a new chapter is submitted to the queue. If you click on a chapter and it does not appear, or appears with something to the effect of the story has not been validated, then you may NOT leave a review for that chapter. This is considered spam. EDIT: The exact phrase you will see for an unvalidated chapter is, "Access denied. This story has not been validated by the adminstrators of this site." Do not under any circumstances leave a review for this chapter until it is validated.
    Reviewers especially may not comment on the amount of time a story has been awaiting validation, encourage the mods to hurry up, or say mean things about anyone. These are serious offenses, which a user agrees not to do by agreeing to the site's terms of service. (And you may not have an account here without agreeing to those terms.)

Leaving reviews for a chapter that is not visible to the general public is breaking the rules.

It slows down the process because the mods have to spend time that would have otherwise been spent modding chapters deleting these (against the rules) reviews.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page