Thread: The Slug Club

Hybrid View

padfootsgirl1981

The Slug Club

Hi! Well we all know that Lily was a member and one of Slughorn's favourite students, but I wwas wondering who else from the Marauder era might have been a member. Do you think Snape could have been in there, for his potion skills? Also we know that James wasn't in the club because I think Slughorn might have just mentioned it to Harry.

But James, along with Sirius, was a very talented student, so do you think it probable that Slughorn wanted him (and Sirius) as members but they simply declined the offer as they, like Harry, hated the idea of it?

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

MaiaMadness
    I always figured that Severus was in the Slug Club. At least it seems likely, since he was very good. In my Marauder Era fic he is, anyway.

You might have a point there, with James and Sirius. It could be that Sirius declined simply on account of Slughorn being the Slytherin Head of House. Another reason for them to decline could be that they didn't want to be in the club because Remus and Peter weren't invited as well.

On the other hand, they were known trouble makers and often broke the rules. It might be that Slughorn didn't see fit to invite them for that reason.

AurorKeefy
    I think Regulus was a member of the Slug Club - more for lineage than ability - but Sirius would not have been. The manner in which Slughorn talks of missing out on his (in terms of his house) suggests that he probably didn't have a great deal of contact with him. Moreover, if we assume James wasn't in the club, I can't imagineSirius would want to be there. I think it's definitely arguable that neither Sirius nor James would join if Lupin and Wormtail didn't get in, but there would be no chance of splitting James and Sirius up.

Also, the brilliance of James and Sirius may have been much less recognised that we generally imagine. James and Sirius were brilliant in the same way the Weasleys twins were. Yes, they hated the Dark Arts and probably both got an O. Yes, they undoubtedly did very well in their subjects, but I see most of their best work - ie becoming animagi - would have been hidden from the teachers. Certainly compared to the open brilliance of Lily. The same argument could be applied to Snape, who, while a great potionmaker and wizard generally, was specialized in the Dark Arts.

When it came to choosing Head Boy and Girl, I think Lily was the certainty, and James was there less because of ability but rather because of popularity, how much he had matured in his final years, and the fact that he was - or was going to be (I forget the exact dates) Lily's boyfriend.

padfootsgirl1981
    Wow! Thanks to the both of you for your brilliant responses! But I have another query, do you think it possible that Slughorn could have wanted James for his Quidditch ability? I forgot about this aspect before.

AurorKeefy
    Gah...maybe.

I certainly think Slughorn would want to recruit brilliant Quidditch players before they went onto greatness, but I also get the impression that being in Slytherin might be e bit awkward for this. The competitive nature of the Quidditch Cup suggests that Slughorn might have rather more difficulty supporting a Gryffindor for Quidditch than for Potions.

Moreover, while Slughorn selects those destined for greatness, the amount of Quidditch players in England combined with Hogwarts suggests that there must be several people getting signed up for first-teams each year. Given that there are only four houses of Quidditch Teams, and at least four (and I would suggest far more) Quidditch Teams in league, then people are getting recruited left, right and centre. This would allow Slughorn to be picky, in my opinion, and would allow him to just pick the best of the Slytherins, ie - in my opinion - Gwenog Jones (or whatever her name is).

Of course, that's just an opinion.

R_Ravenclaw
    I have a feeling James might have been in the Slug Club (and maybe dragging Sirius along in the process) because Lily was there. But yeah, I think that Slughorn would have liked James' intelligence, bloodlines (for lack of a better term), and chaser abilities. I think it makes sense that James would be included because of all these things. Just a chaser? Maybe not. But all three? Yeah, I think it makes sense.

Ryan The Wizard
    I don't believe Snape was a part of the Slug Club, for we are under the impression that he is accepted nowhere.

He gets part of his bitterness from the Marauders, and the other part form not being accepted.

A Cappella
    Members of the Slug Club during the Marauder Era may have included Lucius Malfoy (Draco said that he was a favorite of Slughorn back in the day), and with Lucius being a prefect in the Marauders' first year, he would have still been in the Slug Club when Lily was at Hogwarts. Slughorn probably didn't know he was a Death Eater at that point.

Theodore Nott's father may have been in the club as well, as Theodore is around the same age as Harry, therefore his parents would be the same age as well. The same goes for McLaggen's Uncle Tiberius.

For other possibilities, you can check out this link at the HP Lexicon.

I hoped this helped,
    Murray