Thread: Transfiguration Incantation

Hybrid View

untitlednine

Transfiguration Incantation

Does anyone know if in the books, they mention the incantation to turn an object into a mouse?

Thanks, I don't think they do, but I just want to check.

MaiaMadness
    I'm quite certain there isn't one. I can't find it listed anywhere on the lexicon and I can't remember ever having read about it. I think transfiguration is entirely non-verbal.

I could be wrong, though...

Here's a link to everything about Transfiguration on the Lexicon: Clickies!

Pepper Imp
    I wouldn't say that Transfiguaration was entirely non-verbal.

Since the students don't even start learning about performing non-verbal spells until sixth year, I don't think that first years would be able to perfrom Transfiguration non-verbally. I just don't see it.

So, I'd just say that we, as fanfiction writers, have to create incantations because we are not given any in canon.

- Cammie!

MaiaMadness
    I disagree. I've always regarded Transfiguration itself as a branch of magic without incantation. There are things like Switching Spells, of course, but I believe that the act Transfiguring something relies on concentration, not incantations. In a way it doesn't count as a spell. It's not listed as a spell. Just like with Potions, it relies on other variables than incantation. That's how I've always imagined it, anyway. Six years at Hogwarts, and we have yet to even hear mention of it, although we've seen plenty of Transfiguration performed.

Ryan The Wizard
    Don't know if this is any help, but to change an animal into a water goblet in CS movie is Feraverto. Otherwise I don't think I've ever read or seen any incantation for Transfiguration.

Pepper Imp
    MaiaMadness said: I've always regarded Transfiguration itself as a branch of magic without incantation. There are things like Switching Spells, of course, but I believe that the act Transfiguring something relies on concentration, not incantations. In a way it doesn't count as a spell. It's not listed as a spell. Just like with Potions, it relies on other variables than incantation.

I can see where you are coming from, of course. I think that a main point of Transfiguration is to have a drive and determination behind the spell as well as an incantation. Or not... I suppose that after a point that Transfiguration could be non-verbal. I just can't see first and second years being able to perform non-verbal magic. I just can't. But I do see where you are coming from - and I think that maybe after third year, everything could become non-verbal.

Ryan the Wizard said: Don't know if this is any help, but to change an animal into a water goblet in CS movie is Feraverto. Otherwise I don't think I've ever read or seen any incantation for Transfiguration.

Generally, the movies are not considered canon, though I suppose if you were desperate, you could use Feraverto. I'll go and see what it means.

pepperEDIT: From what I've got so far, feraverto is just a cool-sounding word that the screenwriter used. It's not italian or latin - I'll go and try and find roots and words it could relate to. But I'm not sure.

I'm going to search around for Latin meanings, so if untitlednine could mention what type of Transfiguration spell they're looking for then maybe I could come up with a few suggests.

- Cammie