Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wizarding Divorces?

Hybrid View

Hermione_Rocks

Wizarding Divorces?

Do you think wizards/witches would file for divorces, like Muggles? Or if they wanted to seperate, would they just sort of . . . move apart, or something? I mean, I'm sure they have marriages that don't work out sometimes, it's just hard to imagine them doing something so . . . Muggle-like. :/ Thanks to any who help.

Ryan The Wizard
    Well, in HP's world, which we are to imagine is a perfect world with love coming out of the yin-yang. I think in the Wizarding World, with the way that they phrased Bill and Fleur's service in DH, that the wizards are bonded for eternity.

Although if they really hated each other then I'm sure one of them would leave. I don't think a "divorce" is what they would use.

cmwinters
    This gets back on the whole idea that Jo is creating an idyllic world wherein your first love is your soulmate and you are together for life, no matter how woefully unrealistic that is.

But no, we have no examples of Wizarding divorces. The closest thing we have is Blaise Zabini's mother, who was married seven times to very wealthy men, and each of her husbands died mysterious deaths, leaving her a lot of gold.

You can probably go either way with this, so long as you don't make it like, everyone.

In fact, you could probably have someone really wanting/needing a divorce, and going to desperate measures to get it (trying to overturn the law, getting one done in the Muggle world, whatever).

Depending on who your characters are and what you are trying to accomplish, you could resort to some very unsavory behaviour. (Like using the Imperius . . .)

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Because things can change for people, I would think that divorce is a possibility. I don't think it happens quite as often as in the Muggle world, but I wouldn't discount it happening at all. We know that there are spells that can influence how people act and such. If someone were to enter a marriage because of an Imperius Curse, Love Potions, ect. I would think there is a way to get out of them.

We don't have any evidence of divorces, but the Wizarding World does seem to act a little more old-fashioned. That is why I think it is few and far between for divorces. I would look at how people thought of divorce 100 years ago. It was a scandolous thing for a divorce in those days, so I think that is how the wizarding world would approach it.

Cyns

Banner by Grangergirl from Slytherin

Pepper Imp
    DH SPOILERS BELOW!
    Do we still need these?

I'm not sure how much help that this will be to you, but Cyns brought up a good points about entering marriage under the Imperius Curse or under the influence of a Love Potion.

Didn't Tom Riddle Senior leave Merope Gaunt because he was intoxicated at the time of marriage (i.e. had been slipped a Love Potion)? I think that that would indicate the marriage did crumble through all wizarding relationships, though I agree with Cyns. The wizarding world does seem a lttle behind on most things, so I think their views on divorce and marriage would be slightly behind as well.

And didn't Remus consider leaving Tonks and Teddy? I don't have the book on me right now, but I think that he had definately considered it.

Just my two knuts, though.

Stubbornly_appeared

Leave!

I dunno, I assume it would be the same as Muggledom (but a little old fashioned, as said) but most people don't divorce, they just stick it through (in the case of people like Narcissa Malfoy and such) or leave (Lupin?). Or, your spouse just happens to die mysteriously after things take a wrong turn, leaving you with loads of gold (Blaise Zabini's mum).

A Sickle for your thoughts.

-Stubby

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbornly_appeared
    A Sickle for your thoughts.
    Here's a thought (takes the Sickle):

Maybe marriage vows in the wiziarding world works more along the lines of an unbreakable vow. Maybe that's why we see more couples sticking through things like the Malfoys or why some marriages end under mysterious circumstances like Blaise Zabini's mother.

It could be that some of the dark wiziarding families use this ploy in order to secure their pureblood ties (or in Zabini mother's case, her wealth). Which is why we see some being forced to marry their cousins.

But other wiziarding families, like the Weasley's, would not stoop to such levels cause they feel that true love would concur all.
    M.R.S.

Gonz
    We do have one canon example of a divorce in the Thomas family. Dean said his father walked out on his mother when he was very young. While Dean doesn't know he was a wizard, we do. Though since his wife was a muggle I would suspect it was all done through Muggle means. Continuing with that thought I would suspect that there would actually be few number of divorces or seperation in Muggle and Wizard families. Love can sometimes prevail, but those marriages add a couple very difficult factors to normal family life, and I can see it becoming too much for the couple.

On the opposite end, the strict Pureblooded marriages are probably tough it through if there are problems, because your options are fairly limited if you must marry a Pureblood. But I won't assume that all Pureblood marraiges are unhappy though. The books establish that the Malfoys do truly love each other.

As for the rest, I would say they happen. Most likely some of the kids at Hogwarts have divorced parents, we just weren't informed. Remember Jo is divorced, she knows that sometimes it happens. She hasn't been held back on death in the Wizarding World, why would she with divorce?

Marauderette
    I have a question. If a pureblood wizards and witches like, married their cousins like it is said, would theystill be cousins if they got divorced? Stupid question, I know.

Pepper Imp
    Yes, I think so, since marriage is legal and in documents rather than blood.

/end extremely short post