Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fandom Abbreviation Dictionary

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...

The Fandom Abbreviation Dictionary

Within this thread you will find many words and initials that you don't know. Hopefully, after reading them, you'll understand the fandom that little bit better.

The dictionary contains words and abbreviations that are commonly used within fanfiction and the fandom.

Navy Members - please add to the dictionary by posting the word or abbreviation in bold and writing it's meaning beside it. Eg:

Potterverse - The universe in which Harry Potter is set. For example, Hogwarts is part of the potterverse.

I hope you all find it useful.
    ~ Roxy

sayiansirius
    OTP - One True Pairing - example: my OTP is H/Hr
    WIP - Work in Progress
    Ship - Relationship - exampe: I ship Harry/Hermione

*can't think of more now*

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Slash-- When the two members of a pairing are the same sex. Such as Voldemort/Dumbledore, Gilderoy/Sirius, Harry/Neville, Luna/McGonagall, Snape/Percy, Fred/George, Gilderoy/Gilderoy, Peter/Lucius, etc.
    Dramione-- Hermione and Draco... romantically involved.
    Heron--Hermione and Ron... romantically involved.
    Harmony-- Hermione and Harry... romantically involved. (Sensing a pattern here?)
    Plot bunny-- Hermione and the Easter bunny... (no. I'm kidding.) It's an idea for a fanfiction not yet developed.
    OC-- Not just Orange county, it can also mean an original character. However, most OCs are pretty unoriginal, so it's a bit of a misnomer. (Kidding again!)
    Mary-Sue-- A female unOriginal original character. (A very cliched character, such as a mysteriously beautiful transfer student with a tragic past named Selena Kaleidoscopica Riddle and a pet liger named Biff or something.)
    Gary-Stu-- A male unOrginal original character.
    D/A-- Not just an organization Harry Potter put together, it also means Dark/Angsty.
    RL-- Real life. Something many members (such as myself) of MNFF don't have one of.
    AU-- Alternate universe. Like, a story where Voldemort grew up to be a baker instead of a dictator, or a story where Draco Malfoy was the Chosen One, or Philosopher's Stone, but all taking place in Africa with the main characters as lions, or a story where Ron is a vampire or Dumbledore was raised by platypi or Neville Longbottom was the Hogwarts triwizard champion. And I am having way too much fun with this.
    Mods-- The beautiful, talented, and brilliant people who run this site and are secretly in charge of the world. They are the ones with the power to accept or reject your stories, which is why I'm being so nice and complimentary. *waves nervously* Did I mention, mods, that your hair looks fantastic today?

sayiansirius
    *laughs out loud at schmerg's last one*

Here's another in addition to one of yours.

OOC - Out of character. This is when one of your characters are not, well, in character. When they are not sticking to canon.

Canon - Information gained from the books and/or JK Rowling herself. For example, we now know that R/Hr is canon because it happened in Book Seven.

aliauthor
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Slash-- When the two members of a pairing are the same sex. Such as Voldemort/Dumbledore, Gilderoy/Sirius, Harry/Neville, Luna/McGonagall, Snape/Percy, Fred/George, Gilderoy/Gilderoy, Peter/Lucius, etc.
    Dramione-- Hermione and Draco... romantically involved.
    Heron--Hermione and Ron... romantically involved.
    Harmony-- Hermione and Harry... romantically involved. (Sensing a pattern here?)
    Plot bunny-- Hermione and the Easter bunny... (no. I'm kidding.) It's an idea for a fanfiction not yet developed.
    OC-- Not just Orange county, it can also mean an original character. However, most OCs are pretty unoriginal, so it's a bit of a misnomer. (Kidding again!)
    Mary-Sue-- A female unOriginal original character. (A very cliched character, such as a mysteriously beautiful transfer student with a tragic past named Selena Kaleidoscopica Riddle and a pet liger named Biff or something.)
    Gary-Stu-- A male unOrginal original character.
    D/A-- Not just an organization Harry Potter put together, it also means Dark/Angsty.
    RL-- Real life. Something many members (such as myself) of MNFF don't have one of.
    AU-- Alternate universe. Like, a story where Voldemort grew up to be a baker instead of a dictator, or a story where Draco Malfoy was the Chosen One, or Philosopher's Stone, but all taking place in Africa with the main characters as lions, or a story where Ron is a vampire or Dumbledore was raised by platypi or Neville Longbottom was the Hogwarts triwizard champion. And I am having way too much fun with this.
    Mods-- The beautiful, talented, and brilliant people who run this site and are secretly in charge of the world. They are the ones with the power to accept or reject your stories, which is why I'm being so nice and complimentary. *waves nervously* Did I mention, mods, that your hair looks fantastic today?
    schmergo, you are hilarious. I had a few to post here, but you stole them all from me! I'll post some here even though I'm not a navy member (avoids tomatoes)

Let's see, I can think of a few:
    H/Hr: a Harry/Hermione ship
    R/Hr: a Ron/Hermione ship
    D/Hr: Draco/Hermione, although in some cases it may also indicate Dobby/Hermione, something I have never encountered here...a lot of the ships have to do with Hermione, don't they?
    QsQ: The Quicksilver Quill awards, something every MNFF writer looks at in awe and wonder. They are annual and winning one in one of the categories is a high honor!

also, a few name abbreviations that I had to figure out on my own (blushes):
    LV: is an abbreviation for Lord Mouldyshorts, not Louis Vuitton as it looks when you first see it...or maybe that was just me...(blushes again)
    DD: Dumbledore...not Dedalus Diggle....I just associate really weird things to abbreviated stuff.

nysuperstarz
    SS- Sorcerer's Stone
    CoS- Chamber of Secrets
    PoA- Prisoner of Azkaban
    GoF- Goblet of Fire
    OotP- Order of the Pheonix
    HBP- Half Blood Prince
    DH- Deathly Hallows

Random Forum Abbreviation's

MNFF- Muggle Net Fan Fiction

RL- Real Life

QWC
    - Quidditch World Cup

QSQ- Quick Silver Quills

OMS- Oh My Salazar

IMO
    - In my opinion.
    or
    IMHO-In my humble opinion.

Squee- A random burst of happiness.

Huggle- A hug but better.

Teh- Just a much cooler way of saying "the".

CR
    - Common Room

Sig- Signature which you can add pretty banners and sayings to.

SBBC- Susan Bones Book Club -- one of the groups that you can join here.

SPEW- Society for the Promotion of Evaluations for Writers -- another group here on MNFF.

Fic- Fiction, or story.

One-Shot- A fic with only one chapter.

WIP- Work In Progress

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley
    Just some of the more obvious ones.

HP-Harry Potter. But if you didn't know that by now....

DE-Death Eater

Voldy-Voldemort

Dumby-Dumbledore

BA-Banner Makers association, one of the groups here.

RoR-The Room of Requirement

Well, Schmergo and nysuperstarz took all of the good ones!

~Morgan

Just Beyond the Veil
    A/N: Author's note. This is just anything the author wants to put at the beginning or end of a story, usually to thank betas or explain something about the story.

FB: Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander.

Flangst: Fluff and angst combined in one story.

Het: A heterosexual pairing.

IC: In Character. As in, Hermione in fanfiction acting the way the Hermione in the books acts.

MWPP: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs or a fanfiction set in the Marauder era.

OC: Usually stands for original character, but it can also mean Other Character.

OFC: Other Female Character.

OMC: Other Male Character.

POV: Point of View. Who's telling the story.

Rarepair: An unusual couple, not usually found in fanfiction. Like Ginny/Amos Diggory. (I wonder if anyone's ever written one of those. )

R&R: Read and Review.

Songfic: A fanfiction centered around a song and with song lyrics in it.

Squick: To gross someone out.

~Chelsea

Stubbornly_appeared

Talking Abbrieviations

Ooh! This is fun!

OMG- Usually Oh My God, but here it's Oh My Godric!

MWPP- Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs. In other words, the Maruaders. I just figured this out about a week ago, sadly, despite my two months of activity and year or so of ghosting. *sigh*

DADA- Defense Against the Dark Arts. Not your dad.

Avvie- Avatar. That little picture beside your username.

PS- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, for those not in America.

Romangst- I'm not sure if anyone else uses this, but I do. Think you can guess what it means? A sad story in the capital of Italy? Or a combination of the words romance and angst?

Fluff- Usually means excessively cheesy romance. Cue example:

"Oh, Ron. I'm just so...." Hermiones voice dribbled off into silence as Ron stared into her breathtaking chocolate brown orbs. She slumped onto his shoulder, her lucious curly chestnut hair falling down and making a gentle curtain that hid her lovely face.

"What is it, Hermione dearest?" he asked, his voice dripping with concern. He patted her back softly; the sound was muffled by the fluffy pink vest she was wearing that made her look even more radiant by hugging her perfect feminine form. She looked up, tears of joy shining in her eyes.

"I've just never felt like this before."

"Does that mean 'I love you'?"

"Will this answer that?" she said, putting her lips to his. She tasted like strawberries and sugar. Ron broke away for a moment to respond.

"Yes." And they met again, and did not come apart for a long while.
    So I got a little carried away, but you probably see what I mean.

MoM- Ministry of Magic. Not your other parent.

That's all I can think of for now....

-Stubby

helgaandgodric
    Let's see, here.

Newbie: a new member of the forum

Gryff: a member of Gryffindor House

Gryffie: a member of Gryffindor House

Toaster: a member of Gryffindor House

'Puff: a member of Hufflepuff House

Slyth: a member of Slytherin House

'Claw: a member of Ravenclaw House

Turnip: a member of Ravenclaw House

Sprout: a newbie member of Ravenclaw House. (ie, when you first join you're a Sprout, and a while later, the exact date is undetermined, you're a Turnip. never both)

Kate