Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Sirius Black

Momo Wellish
    So would making the girl he fell for James' twin sister less cliché? I just need that girl to be closely related to James for my fic. And no, that relative cannot be James' mom.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Momo Wellish
    So would making the girl he fell for James' twin sister less cliché? I just need that girl to be closely related to James for my fic. And no, that relative cannot be James' mom.
    James's twin sister? Where did this twin sister come from? That would be compounding cliches, because there are so many "Harry has a twin" fics, and now you're going to give his father a twin and then make her Sirius's girlfriend.

If you really want Sirius to fall for one of James's relatives, I'd stick with a cousin, and just accept that you're going to be fighting cliches.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Mmm, the twin sister is more of a cliche.

The point is that it may well be a cliche, but if it's done well then it won't matter. So, for instance, don't have her hating Sirius from day one, or Sirius falling for her on that first trip to Hogwarts - because they are the cliches we so often see with James/Lily and believe it or not - Sirius and James are not the same person. LOL.

There is a very good fic on the board where James' cousin is at Hogwarts with them all. What makes it stand above the cliches is that she's not popular - her and Lily are not best friends, and she actually gets on well with the Marauders.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Momo Wellish
    Oh, Godric no... I think it criminal to make James head over heels in love with Lily from day one. In my fic, Sirius and James' cousin are just having a fling, but then Sirius begins to develop feeling for her. She is practically a Marauder, but she is Lily's best friend, a sad cliche that I might just not be able to change. She is very much like James, they look alike, same sense of humor, but she is very mature, which may make some readers think that Sirius would date James if he was a girl?

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

There's a possible chance that the story could work with it being that way, but her being Lily's best friend is something that would be extremely cliche. Just because of the fact that James is in love with Lily, and how their relationship is already.

And to have his twin sister be best friends with her may not really make sense. Since you said that she's pretty much the same as James. Lily can't stand James when they're in Hogwarts, and to have her be best friends with someone exactly like him...I can't see happening, personally. That in itself may be very difficult to pull off without being full of cliches, to be honest.

I feel like I rambled.. >.< Sorry if I didn't help or make any sense at all.

-Tiffany

Banner by Riham! Thank you! Love you! <3

raacchh.x
    I, myself once wrote a Sirius/James's relative story. This was about six years ago, when I was, err..."unaware" of good fanfiction. =D

I think as a whole it's best to stray away from creating characters as relatives to canon characters - espcially if they are going to be romantically linked with another canon character. Very soon, without even knowing it, you'll find you've created a Mary-Sue.

Part of the joy of making your own character is making them original - give them their own family, their own history, their own friends.

Nowadays, it's so hard to come up with an original idea for a story. Originality should be expressed in the characters you develop. Like, I remember years ago when the first Lily/James stories came out and Lily had two friends. One was outgoing and wild and crazy and played quiddich. You guess it - she ended up with Sirius. The other was quiet, mysterious and liked to study, and she ended up with Remus. Now, that whole idea repulses me from reading.

But, that's just my opinion. =D

I love Sirius as a character. I love analysing him done to the bone, so I'm loving this thread here. I'm in the middle of writing my first story focused directly on Sirius. It's exciting. I normally post on the Dialogue Center baords, but am considering here on mugglenet now too. =D

Castanje
    I have a question about Sirius (a grown up, 30-something Sirius, mind you.)

How would he react if he found out a much younger girl liked him? Would he have scruples based on her age? Would he tell her it’s impossible, like Lupin did? Or would he go by his feelings on this one? Could he be harsh about it and brush her aside?

I don't really think he'd do it like Lupin, but I'm torn between the other ones. He is capeable of being fairly harsh but also has a big heart... (oh, she's someone he'd care about, either way, just so that's clear.)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think Sirius' time in Azkaban damaged him far more than we like to imagine. To be honest, I can't see him forming any deep attachments to anyone apart from Harry. He already knows Remus so that's a bit different, but a new person plus he's trapped in that house I find it hard to imagine him caring for anyone particularly deeply.

If you look at the way he treats Harry's friends - he's interested and amused by them, but it's only Harry he really interracts with.

If a younger woman (girl) was interested I can see him trying to dissuade her and then if she still refused being very blunt with her. He'd see it as being cruel to be kind, but I really can't see him being as gentle as say Lupin was with Tonks (although we don't really know what happened there, either).

If he did really care for her then I don't think the age gap would be a factor (unless she was say, 15 and either Hermione or Ginny - then he'd baulk). The factors would be the fact that he's a wanted criminal, and actually has very little he could offer someone by way of a future. It all sounds a bit Lupinesque - sorry.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

bellatrix-black-lestrange

Major characters

Well you could always give Sirius a really se-ri-ous girlfriend and then kill her off. Like she could be murdered by death eaters or something or is that a little too harsh ?

But i think it would fit best seeing as in the HP books he seems like a loner so it could be like a traumatic thing, after the love of his life died he could never feel love in the same way. So he walked the earth alone !!!!!

That might be a bit cliche but i think it would be kind of Romantic

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix-Black-Lestrange
    Well you could always give Sirius a really se-ri-ous girlfriend and then kill her off. Like she could be murdered by death eaters or something or is that a little too harsh ?

But i think it would fit best seeing as in the HP books he seems like a loner so it could be like a traumatic thing, after the love of his life died he could never feel love in the same way. So he walked the earth alone !!!!!

That might be a bit cliche but i think it would be kind of Romantic
    Er ... yeah, that's really cliche. I mean, if you think about it, a lot of OC fics try to stay true to canon when they get to the end - meaning, Sirius is alone - so what happens to the girl? She usually dies tragically, leaving the nice angsty Sirius we see in the books.

Now, as to how Sirius would react to the affection of a younger woman ... I basically agree with Carole. But I'd also like to add that, if you want to have this situation somehow, just remember that Sirius is a very passionate man, and I wouldn't necessarily find it unbelievable if he gave in, perhaps physically or even emotionally, just a little - especially if he already cared about her. However, I really don't see the connection as lasting and, as Carole mentioned, I find it difficult to believe at all. But again, if you really wish to have this happen, I have to agree that the Lupin route definitely isn't the right one, at least not in as nice a way. As I alluded to above, Sirius is a man led by his emotions, so I could see that as the best route if you were to take one - but again, keep in mind that anything that happened would probably be short-lived. If he were to consult her age, I don't think it would be the first thing on his mind - reiterating again that Sirius thinks with his heart and then his mind - but I don't think he would completely dismiss it either. He would probably say stuff about how she's got a whole life to live and she shouldn't waste it on him and the like, but unlike Lupin he'd be more blunt about it - as Carole said so well, he'd take a cruel to be kind sort of path.

I hope that big rambling paragraph made some sense. >.> LOL.

Bine: 1 point from Hufflepuff for not following rules on formatting. Besides, your signature is exceeding height limits.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye