Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirius Black

psijupiter
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Well, we have no idea what happened to his flat. It could have been taken away, but it's never made clear. If the Ministry had taken away his flat then they could have taken GP away too and possibly given it to Narcissa or Andromeda as nearest Black relatives.
    In HBP, the ownership of GP would have passed to Bellatrix Black, so the ministry seems to have no control over who inherits it. So I would think that old family houses, because of the various enchantments that are placed on them, are out of reach of the ministry. The enchantments are strong because they are all so obsessed with blood status and family lines, and the enchantments go back a long long time.

I don't imagine Sirius putting any similiar enchantments on his London flat, particuarly if he saw it as a sort of 'starter home,' that he would one day sell to buy a bigger house, rather than somewhere he wanted to keep in the family - especially as without children the people who would inherit it would be people he hated!

That said, he might easily have put a number of other enchantments on it to protect it. They were at war at the time, and the ministry back then seemed to have plenty of spies, so they might have been designed to stop even Aurors getting in. Basically, I like the ideas of your fic!

Alternatively, maybe the ministry has absolutely no control over property inheritance at all?

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    One thing to remember is the Ministry can't have seized his property or they would have gotten the contents of Vault #711. We know they didn't because Sirius had the money for the Firebolt taken from his vault.

As far as what happened to his house? One of the many plotholes JK left us fanfiction writers to do with what we want.

I think the reason he went to Grimmauld Place were two-fold. One, the Ministry would have had his house watched thinking he would go there, so that left the place they felt he wouldn't go back to given he had been disowned or they thought because of being disowned couldn't go back to. And two, the many enchantments on the house made it virtually impossible for the Ministry to find him there.

I would like to thank you for bringing up his house. This just helped with one of my WIPs. My muse is jumping now and Sirius is once again telling me to what to write. Oh, it is so nice to have him sharing his story with me again. Of course, I think he is just thinking of snogging Abby again. LOL
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

PadfootnPeeves
    *pokes thread*

I have a question- would it be too cliche to make Sirius a member of the Gryffindor house Quidditch team?

There's no canon evidence, but several fics have him on the team... I'm wondering what everyone thinks.

And if someone does think he'd be on the team, what position would he be? Most fics say Beater... *shrug*

Thanks!
    ~PnP

Bine: 1 point from Gryffindor.

psijupiter
    Hmm, I don't think it's too cliche, though perhaps if your fic doesn't require that he be on the team, you could leave him off it, just to be a bit different from other fics?

I think canonically it could easily go either way. He's from a pure-blood family, so he could have grown up flying and playing Quidditch, and might be quite good at it.

I imagine if he was on the Quidditch team, it wouldn't be until about his fifth year. I can see James being on the team when he was younger than that, just because people talk about how good he was at Quidditch. A bit like Harry and Ron, really, where one of them is on the team and then the other joins when they're older and there's a space on the team.

I can picture him in any position, except maybe seeker, because I don't think he would have the patience for that! He might be good at being a Chaser with James - as they are good friends they would work well together.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    In my first ever fic, I had Sirius on the Quidditch team, and as Beater too. I think it is a bit cliche, but at the same time, there's no evidence either way, so it wouldn't really be wrong to have him on there.

Now, though, I actually don't think he'd have been on the team, and the main reason is because Regulus was. I think Sirius wouldn't have wanted to do anything that could, especially in his parent's eyes, make him like his brother. Also, with his laidback and easy going personality, I can't really see him caring a great deal about playing himself. Mostly, I just can't picture Sirius really playing Quidditch.

However, that's my personal opinion; he could easily have been on the Quidditch team, I suppose, though I also think it might have been mentioned to Harry if he had been. If I were you, I'd just as soon leave him off it and have Quidditch be James' thing.

/my two cents

Bine: 1 point from Hufflepuff.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Momo Wellish
    Ok, I have a few questions about Sirius:

1. Would he forgive Regulus if Regulus were to turn against the Death Eaters and their sadistic boss, as join the Order, which I'm sure Dumbledore would gladly welcome him?

2. If Sirius were to fall for a girl(in this case, James' cousin, same year as him), how would he express it? How would he tell James?

3. Do you think that Sirius has ever cared for his mother and cousins, Bellatrix and Narcissa? If so, to what degree?

4. What job would Sirius pursue in life? Would he be hard working?

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Would he forgive Regulus if Regulus were to turn against the Death Eaters and their sadistic boss, as join the Order, which I'm sure Dumbledore would gladly welcome him?
    To answer this, we must first consider Regulus. And honestly, I don't think that Regulus would have gone to the Order after he turned on the Dark Lord. First, because, like Sirius, he is very stubborn, and if nothing else, I don't think he would have wanted to admit to his brother that he was right. Also, because I think part of Regulus' motives for doing what he did is because he knew he was going to die one way or another, and so he sacrificed himself in order to, as he thought, destroy Lord Voldemort.

Now, that aside, if Reg had gone to the Order I don't think Sirius would be very quick to forgive him, again, because of his stubbornness. We also know that the man can hold a grudge, so I would take that into account as well. He would probably be very suspicious of his brother - wasn't it he who said you never stop being a Death Eater?

If Sirius were to fall for a girl(in this case, James' cousin, same year as him), how would he express it? How would he tell James?
    I'm first going to say that Sirius falling for James' cousin has been done before, and its rather cliche. If I were you, I'd just avoid that.

That said, Sirius is a very passionate man, so I doubt he'd hide his feelings. He would probably be rather upfront both to James and the cousin in question. He wouldn't be timid and gentle, that is for certain.

Do you think that Sirius has ever cared for his mother and cousins, Bellatrix and Narcissa? If so, to what degree?
    I think he did, especially when he was younger. When he tells Harry about his mother blowing him off the tapestry, in my mind, it was with a bit of a melancholy note. He'd be far too stubborn to admit it, and I think by his adult life he would have shut any feelings he did have away, but I don't think they were ever 'gone' as they probably were for, say Bellatrix. If he expressed any feeling at all, it would have been subtle, but as I said, I think he would have locked them away. At any rate, any feeling for any of them would have been minor at best.

What job would Sirius pursue in life? Would he be hard working?
    The only job I can really imagine Sirius having is Auror, because we know he went straight to work for the Order. I think for something like that. Sirius might have worked hard, but in general, if he didn't care about it, he wouldn't exert much effort. As I said, Sirius Black had a lot of passion, and if he as passionate about something, as I think he might have been had he wanted to be an Auror, then he would have been hardworking. Not to like, a Hermione-degree, but he wouldn't slack off terribly.

That's all just my opinion, though. Good luck!

[hugs]

xox
    nikki

Bine: Nikki, please read the rules about altering font/size/colour just because. 1 point from Hufflepuff. Also, your signature is too large.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    1. Would he forgive Regulus if Regulus were to turn against the Death Eaters and their sadistic boss, as join the Order, which I'm sure Dumbledore would gladly welcome him?

Nikki has given a great argument. But, for the sake of your fic, let us assume that Regulus is willing to join the Order. In that case, Sirius would ultimately forgive and accept him once he knew Regulus was serious. Yes, he is rather stubborn and, boy, he does know how to hold a grudge. Still, no matter what he says or does, Sirius can care about people. I think he was terribly disappointed with Regulus for following their parents’ footsteps, but I somehow cannot imagine that he really hated his younger brother. Regulus had a choice like him- a choice to be a Black without living like one. And if Regulus had taken that choice, I am pretty sure that Sirius would have been very happy in the end.

2. If Sirius were to fall for a girl(in this case, James' cousin, same year as him), how would he express it? How would he tell James?

Sirius falling for James’ cousin is a little...cliché. But, again, let us assume that he does fall in love with her. Sirius would probably keep it a secret at first- James is more important to him than anyone else on earth, and keeping his playboy image in mind, he might think that James would feel he was playing around with her. This is not to say that he would keep it mum forever; Sirius is rather passionate (again, I agree with Nikki) and ultimately, he would find the courage to tell James. Maybe, he would ask his friend to take a walk with him or something and then just blurt it out with an apologetic look.

3. Do you think that Sirius has ever cared for his mother and cousins, Bellatrix and Narcissa? If so, to what degree?

I have a feeling Sirius never liked Bella. Narcissa, though, might have been his playmate in their childhood. It is possible that he may have been more tolerant of her back then. Walburga, though, is a special case. Sirius might have loved her and wanted to please her when he was very, very young. But the woman’s temperament could not have allowed him to get any closer. He detested her- that much is evident. And he was also rather ashamed of her. Yet, it is possible that very deep down, he still cared a little for his family.

An Auror- he would have wanted to be one. It would not only be something which he would obviously love doing, but also something that would irk his mother and cousins to no end. As for diligence, he was too talented for his own good. I can imagine his topping his training without too much effort. Though, of course, if something needed to be done, he would have got down to it energetically.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

A.H.

Maybe? I think it would be important to show a lot of their childhood, provide a good back-story to their sibling relationship and a good bit of the ins and outs (i.e. if you're portraying them as close in youth you should show somehow--through flashbacks or otherwise--that they once trusted each other and depended on each other. If they weren't close, you could show, maybe, that Sirius wants to give his brother a second chance at a trusting friendship/relationship and a chance at redemption) so the reader has a believable background in their mind once Regulus joins the Order. From there, concentrating on emotions would be key to portray a forgiving Sirius. Personally I can't see them coming to terms. I don't think Sirius would outwardly bash his brother but I don't think he would ever truly let his guard down around him, and he would, maybe, even go to Dumbledore and express his concern about a former Death Eater joining their ranks.

But all the same, I definitely think Sirius would want to. More than anything, I think Sirius would want to see another one of his family turning from the fray and joining the good, right side of the war. I think he'd be hopeful and hold out for a day when he might trust his brother, but all the same, I don't see it happening.

I'm leaning more toward Nikki's thinking. He's more of a "This is how it is and--though I am truly sorry if it bugs you--bugger off if you don't like it *raspberry*" xD James might be an exception where the attitude is concerned but I don't think he'd hide it. Or . . . well it might depend on how James feels about said cousin. If he's protective of her, Sirius, being the smart young lad he is, would probably devise the smartest way to confront him, so as to receive the best result. If James is slightly uncaring about his cousin' business, then Sirius wouldn't feel the need to break it to him gently or anything.

And though it's been mentioned twice . . . well it is quite overdone to have Sirius dating James' relatives. Though I'm a hypocrite to point out MWPP cliches.

Herm . . . perhaps to a degree. Though I really don't have a suitable answer for this. >.>

I er . . . well I disagree with his being an Auror. I think Sirius would've (and did) fought like hell in the war because it was present, it was his life, it was everywhere . . . it was war. But I see him as a sort of (coughclicheyes,iknow,butwhatevercough) freer spirit, perhaps with too much of a need to be free to commit to becoming an Auror. I do see him as hard working, and, had he the chance in his life, I see him as eventually desiring a job with more stability than whatever he might have dabbled in as a young man, but I definitely don't see him with a need to have a steady, stable, reliable job directly out of school.

As to specific jobs, by the time he was out of school I don't think he was concerned with bugging his parents anymore, but I think that, since he tried so hard to do what they despised during childhood, he might have grown attached to Muggle-ish activities (that doesn't make sense but I've been up a while ). Perhaps a mechanic? EquinoxChick has a lovely story involving that very job and it works well (though I must admit the situation made it very easy to believe). He owned a bike so he was familiar with Muggle mechanics, at least to a degree. Considering the time period, maybe he took up a job that somehow contributed to the Ministry? Maybe they offered money for tasks such as confiscating paraphernalia sold by street vendors to protect yourself from the DEs (i.e. Arthurs' job, but as we saw, there wasn't an official position for doing that at the time). Or you know . . . *watches her train of thought run away* . . . something.

>.>

/end huge ramble
    -Ari-

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    1. Would he forgive Regulus if Regulus were to turn against the Death Eaters and their sadistic boss, as join the Order, which I'm sure Dumbledore would gladly welcome him? First off, Dumbledore may not gladly welcome him. He'd have to be incredibly sure of Regulus yo welcome him into the Order. He accepts Snape into the Order, but doesn not confide everything to him until very near the end. (Harry knew before Snape about the Horcuxes). To fit your story, I'd say Sirius would possibly forgive him, after a while, but I doubt he'd ever trust him. Sirius knows all about their upbringing, and the fact that Regulus went along with it for such a long time is going to make Sirius suspicious.

2. If Sirius were to fall for a girl(in this case, James' cousin, same year as him), how would he express it? How would he tell James? Have to agree with the cliche (as well as the James' sister one). It also depends on whether he's close to his cousin. I'm not remotely close to any of mine, so wouldn't be at all bothered if my friends dated them. James may be protective, but you have to be careful how you portray Sirius. If he's the cliched Playboy!Sirius then James would probably not want him to go out with his cousin, but if Sirius is actually just a guy who has had one or two girlfriends and doesn't leave Hogwarts having kissed every witch availabe, then James probably would like his cousin dating him.

I want to talk about Walburga. We get a very biased picture of her based on a picture (ha ha) She's clearly deranged in the portrait, and I think at the time of her death she was probably mad (by mad I mean insane and not angry ). Kreacher says that when Sirius broke her heart with his 'lawless ways'. I think she loved her son, and I think Sirius as a boy would have loved and respected his parents. Obviously this changed, but it's hard to turn off feelings and I think Sirius would have sometimes longed for the approval and love that he would have had as a boy.
    Cousins. Well, Bellatris is ten years older and why would he get on with her. He may have admired her slightly when he was, say four, and she was a sassy teenager. But would he have been bothered with baby cousins as a teenager - I doubt it. Andromeda seems to have been his favourite cousin, so she probably spent time with him when he was growing up. Narcissa - perhaps they were closer as youngsters but once he was Sorted into Gryffindor, she would have disowned him.

I don't think Sirius could have been an Auror. I just think he's too reckless. I think he would have wanted to become one, and could certainly have got the grades, but he's not a strategist and just takes too many risks. Perhaps that's just me seeing him through post-Azkaban spectacles, but that's my take on it.
    I do think if he'd survived the first war (ie not locked up) he'd have found it very difficult to settle into a normal job. He'd be like a soldier who can't settle back into Civvy Street. If he found something to enthuse him, he'd work hard. If he had a purpose, (say looking after Harry) then he'd probably turn his hand to any job on offer. He'd want to use his brain, obviously, but maybe he'd like to get his hands dirty at times. He's a man of Action - not a desk man.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird