Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirius Black

megan_lupin
    Firstly, there is nothing in the books -- canon -- to say he had tattoos. It's just a film thing, but it's one of those film things that I, personally, have never seen a major problem with using. It just seems like a Sirius kind of thing to do, really. He already does the rebellious thing, has the flying motorbike, etc.

Are you wanting the reasoning for tattoos to be nonchalance or humourous, or having a bit more of a seriousness to it? Rebellion and freedom could have been used after he ran away from home, for instance, and at an age of 16/17, there's still enough of that youthful rashness for Sirius (of course, not that he really seems to grow *out* of that rashness, either).

I don't really know anything specific, right now, as I've never given thoughts on what the tattoos would be or for why, exactly. It's just one of those things that, even though it's not canon, technically, I've never had a problem believing it if a writer uses it.

~Megan

cmwinters
    I agree with Megan about the strict canon compliance of the tattoos. However, it's not unheard of for prisoners to get tattoos for identifcation purposes; this was used by the Nazis in Germany against the Jews they had in the concentration camps, and I believe it was also used briefly in the most recent Balkan wars against whoever happened to be fighting whoever else that week.

rainydaze
    Hmmm...Sirius...

Well, I never really saw him as a player, personally, though I know what you mean about lots of fanfiction authors portraying him that way.

Instead, I see him as being a chick-magnet (excuse the slang ) but not paying any attention to girls.

Like, instead of reciprocating their admiration, Sirius just focuses on the Marauders, pranking, and slacking off, not on his next big date with the easy blonde from Transfiguration, you know?

Hope that helps!

red haired mom
    I have answered some of the questions put forth here through PMs and thought now might be a good idea to add my two knuts on my favorite character. I’m one of the many writing him in the Gauntlet this time around.

I know some people will disagree mightily with my views on Sirius, but that’s what happens when you offer an opinion.

First of all, I see Sirius as a complex and multi-layered character. Too many times in fanfictions, he is relegated to the one dimensional prankster or player.

He is just a normal man (or boy depending on timeframe) with an abundance of confidence. He has his moments of being both a jerk and a playboy, but that's not who he is.

During his home years, before Hogwarts, he might well have displayed the less nice aspects of his personality. In that environment he would’ve learned quickly to keep the things he held dear quiet and be mean and, yes, even cruel to whoever was weaker.

This does not make him a bad person. It makes him a product of his environment. His mother, as shown in the portrait hanging in Grimmauld Place, is a maniacal Pureblood fixated on the blood status of everyone. She wanted no taint on her family name.

Sirius rose out of that prejudice and made friends based on character and personality. If he also made fun of a smaller boy with obvious lesser means, that makes him an eleven year old. Not all of them are going to be able to rise above the occasion and be little angels. But on the other side of that same coin, he made friends with two boys obviously weaker and with lesser means than he had too.

During school, he was a good student, without much effort according to SWM, but that doesn’t make him smarter than the average student. It makes him able to retain information better and quite possibly in a different way than the other children. Some people are blessed with the ability to hear and/or read something once and it sticks with them.

In regards to his admission of being an arrogant berk in school, yes, he could be that. But he was also a loving and caring friend. He and the other two worked out how to be with Remus during his transformations. He stood beside his friends and would have done anything for them.

Bullying Severus was part of his worst side. He pretty much tortured Severus for seven years and even once tried to kill him. But, and I have to say this, while I don’t agree with it or condone that type of behaviour, he was acting no different (except for the attempted murder) than quite a few Slytherin students we’ve seen in the books.

When Sirius returns in PoA, we see a man who has suffered the Dementor’s for twelve years. He still isn’t completely rational yet. He still tries everything he can to keep Harry safe, and to get Peter to kill him. And, he’s still grieving the loss of his best friends. Plus dealing with the guilt of being the reason Harry didn’t have them or himself there while growing up.

In GoF, he pushes Harry to stay safe, and to keep an eye out for trouble. He risks capture again to be close on hand when Harry competes in the last task. He is relieved Harry survived and is filled with sympathy and heartache that Harry went through he things he did. And, he’s angry and ready to jump into the fray when Fudge doesn’t listen to reason.

He tries to give Harry answers in OotP that no one else thinks Harry should have. While he may slip in his thinking and confuse Harry with James on occasion, I don’t see him as unhinged, I see him as Hermione called it, very lonely for a very long time.

In OotP, Sirius and Severus still argue like children, probably because they didn’t have the opportunity to see each other and learn about each other’s adult personalities as Remus and Severus did. Sirius may still act like a teenager at times, but when it came to the ones he loved and valued, he was the epitome of protector. Even to the point of being killed to keep Harry safe.

His Patronus is never spoken of in canon, as others have mentioned, and everyone has their own thoughts on it, but I think, cliché or not, he would have a dog Patronus. It, and the Animagus transformation, take things from inside you that you possess and that you feel the safest with.

The tattoo’s are up to the individual writer, and have no real bearing on whether or not I like the fic, unless they have him as a tattoo junkie. That’s a bit much. I like the ones Michelle decided on for her fic, and when you read the story sometime, I think you’ll agree they’re perfect for him.

I can read a Sirius fic and see the places where people just write him as one dimensional and actually like the fic. Just as I can read a fic where he has all the layers of “Shrek’s onion” and not like it at all. I personally see him this way, and this is the way I write him.

/My two knuts on Sirius Black
    may he rest in peace

~Wendy

Amber0_o
    I know some people will disagree mightily with my views on Sirius, but that’s what happens when you offer an opinion.

And I hope that you don't mind if I happen to give my reasons for disagreeing on certain issues.

During his home years, before Hogwarts, he might well have displayed the less nice aspects of his personality. In that environment he would’ve learned quickly to keep the things he held dear quiet and be mean and, yes, even cruel to whoever was weaker.

This does not make him a bad person. It makes him a product of his environment. His mother, as shown in the portrait hanging in Grimmauld Place, is a maniacal Pureblood fixated on the blood status of everyone. She wanted no taint on her family name.

I agree and disagree with this idea. We have no proof that Mrs. Black was abusive or evil. Really, we only have proof that she held blood-purist beliefs, but I don't think that makes her evil. That being said, I really don't think Sirius lived in an abusive home. In fact, as the Black family heir, I am sure he was raised as a prince.

He obviously wans't born with innate knowledge that his family was wrong, and there had to be a time when he believed it. And it was within this time that his family would have loved him and spoiled him, in the same way Draco was raised. Something had to turn him against his family's supremecy, and it may have taken as long as coming to Hogwarts for him to change. On the train he doesn't seem as if he is against his family for moral reasons. He doesn't like his family, but he doesn't feel moral outrage about them. Instead, he strikes me as a young child who, being close to their teenaged years, feels that they are better than their parents. I think it was his friendship with James and his time in Gryffindor tower that changed him. It could have been earlier, and it was simply his time in Gryffindor tower that strengthened this resolve, but it is a possibility that James was the first conact with another point of view that Sirius ever had.

As for Ma Black, I'm sure losing both of one's sons would drive anyone crazy.

Bullying Severus was part of his worst side. He pretty much tortured Severus for seven years and even once tried to kill him. But, and I have to say this, while I don’t agree with it or condone that type of behaviour, he was acting no different (except for the attempted murder) than quite a few Slytherin students we’ve seen in the books.

Does that justify his actions? Simply because someone else did it doesn't make it right. The one thing I can never forgive about Sirius is the fact that he never aknowledges his faults. He never once admits that he was wrong to try and kill Severus, but instead wishes his plan had worked! And I know I've said this many times before, but it is my belief that you can't be redeemed or even change, until you first admit your wrongs.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber0_o
    Does that justify his actions? Simply because someone else did it doesn't make it right. The one thing I can never forgive about Sirius is the fact that he never aknowledges his faults. He never once admits that he was wrong to try and kill Severus, but instead wishes his plan had worked! And I know I've said this many times before, but it is my belief that you can't be redeemed or even change, until you first admit your wrongs.
    This is probably half of my biggest problem with Sirius Black. Everyone tries to make light of this ("Oh, it was a schoolboy prank", "oh, boys will be boys") or even *blame Snape* for it ("the Slytherins were WORSE!"), despite the fact that bad behaviour doesn't justify bad behaviour and that trying to kill, maim or *destroy* someone is not a "prank".

But that's not even my problem. My problem is that twenty years after the fact, Black is justifying this behaviour to Lupin, who at best would have been exiled, perhaps imprisioned and quite possibly KILLED for killing/injuring/turning Snape. Saying that "he (Snape) would have deserved it (being injured/turned/killed)" without even paying the slightest attention at what would have happened to Lupin or even apoligising to him for what would have happened to Lupin if Snape had "gotten what he deserved".

The other half of my problem is that everyone can blow off 16-year-old Sirius setting a deadly magical creature on a student he dislikes from another house with a lesser blood status, but have an absolute conniption fit at Tom Riddle doing exactly the same thing.

hermione_granger4life
    I have read so many different characterizations of Sirius Black that it's hard to know which one is the true Sirius. I've read Sirius the player, Sirius the 'chick-magnet', Sirius the depressed teen, Sirius the prankster, Sirius the serious...lol...(had to do it...lol. Sorry).

I, personally, think that Sirius was most of those things wrapped into one. I think that Sirius would've been just like a regular teenager when he was younger. He liked hanging out with his friends, he liked pulling pranks on people, and he had a false bravado when he was around his friends. In my own opinion of Sirius, I think that when he was around his friends, he felt like he was invincible, in a way. He didn't think about the consequences of his actions, he just thought about whether or not he could make his friends laugh. I believe that he had a high level of confidence, sometimes bordering on arrogance.

I don't really see Sirius as being the type of guy to 'sleep around' with a different girl every week. I don't doubt that he was a very attractive boy or that he had packs of girls after him, just maybe not every single girl in the school...lol. He didn't really have time for relationships like that; he was too busy planning his next prank to think about girls.

I think that Sirius did a lot of the things that he did because of his childhood. Not that I am condoning him trying to kill people or setting deadly creatures loose on unsuspecting students, I just think that we can't really blame him primarily for his actions. His home life, sucked. I think that Sirius was a trouble maker because he wanted attention from his parents. He hated the fact that his parents were obsessed with the 'pure-blood mania'. He just wanted his parents to stop looking at the fact that he was a pure blood and the only one in the family to be in Gryffindor, and start recognizing him for what he was: their son.

I, personally, love Sirius Black. He is one, if not my favorite, characters. I like reading the different characterizations of him becasue, it seems to me, that each and every author has a different image of what Sirius Black was like. I like the diversity. That's just my opinion.

**Emma

Amber0_o
    Not that I am condoning him trying to kill people or setting deadly creatures loose on unsuspecting students, I just think that we can't really blame him primarily for his actions.

I'm not too sure about that idea. I just can't put off attempted murder/lycanthropy as 'I just want attention'. I mean, if that is what he is doing for attention Sirius would need a lot more than just attentive parents. I'm thinking he'd need to get a good psychologist to figure out what is wrong with him.

Pafoo
    Just continuting with CM's theme:

Not that I am condoning him trying to kill people or setting deadly creatures loose on unsuspecting students, I just think that we can't really blame him primarily for his actions.
    Tom Riddle did the exact same thing but suceeded. Well, actually, we don't know whether or not Myrtle's death was premeditated, so maybe Black had more malice than the Dark Lord.

Not an easy feat, mind you.

red haired mom
    Tom Riddle did the exact same thing but suceeded. Well, actually, we don't know whether or not Myrtle's death was premeditated, so maybe Black had more malice than the Dark Lord.
    Um, seriously?

Come on, Voldemort (Tom Riddle) was setting a Basilisk loose in a school full of children.

Sirius was trying to teach a spying, sneak a lesson. I am convinced he is the one who told James what he'd done, which then sent James after him to save his life.

I don't think he actually meant to kill Severus, because he cared too much for his friend to allow him to live with the guilt of biting another human.

If that were the case, I'm positive Remus or James wouldn't have continued being friends with Sirius, because while being teenaged jerks, they did have a moral center that showed them right from wrong.

I love Severus Snape, and don't think of him as anything but a wonderful character, but if looked at from the perspective of the Marauders, he was always sneaking around trying to figure out what was wrong with Remus. He just found out in the most terrifying way possible.

More later,
    ~Wendy