Thread: 2017 QSQ Award Winners!

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

2017 QSQ Award Winners!

Itís my great pleasure to bring you the results of the 2017 Quicksilver Quill Awards!

As you know, the Quicksilver Quill Awards are about awarding the best writing MuggleNet Fan Fiction authors have had to offer for the year. This year, nominations were received across seven categories and we have nine winners in total.

Before we get to the results, I would like to profusely thank the judges and category leaders who made this all possible. This could not have been done without them.

Despite our smaller number of judges and categories, we had a large number of nominations and many of the decisions were fiercely contested. To preserve the integrity of the QSQs, we still judged to the standards we have held for over a decade, and the results are truly reflective of how our fandom has carried on for so many years and still produces fine, well-honed literature after all this time. Always.

Like in previous years, winners of the awards and judges will also receive a personalised banner, created by me. You can view a sneak peak by clicking here. Banners will be sent out to winners in the next few days as well as posted below. But now, on to the moment youíve all been waiting for!

QSQ Winners 2017

Best General Fic
    One-Shot - Specter by foolondahill17
    This fic reminds us of a 1950's perfect-family sitcom, all black-and-white, traditional roles and domestic aspiration, complete with snooping neighbors. Petunia is at her repugnant best. Her inability to muster up any compassion at any time for an orphan baby is still one of the most offensive things in the series, and this author finds that Petunia from the first words of this story and never loses her.
    Banner

Chaptered - People of the Goddess by Meadowsweet
    With its stellar world-building and compelling characters, we were blown away by this fic and the authorís clearly extensive research. It has the depth, broadness of scope and mystery we love to see in a QSQ winner and kept us hooked from the very first chapter.
    Banner

Best Dark/Angsty Fic
    The Road to Delphi by Kerichi
    This story is a marvelous tour de force, managing to reconcile the Potterverse that we know from the seven books with the premise of the stage play. As for being Dark/Angsty, it is both, in spades. We could hardly grasp how much was packed into a 5776-word one-shot. It felt as if it were much longer because each scene, each detail, did yeoman duty, not a line wasted.
    Banner

Best Post-Hogwarts/Next Generation Fic
    One-shot - Ripple from a Stone by WeasleyMom
    This is a powerful and realistic snapshot of grief which has stayed with us long after reading. The constant undercurrent of George's internal monologue is a heartbreaking depiction of his and the Weasley family's life after Fred, and yet through all the ups and downs of his conversation with Angelina, it leaves us with a sense of hope, a sense of a future. Beautifully paced, original and truly touching.
    Banner

Chaptered - MIT: Strange Place by Northumbrian
    We love the suspense in this fic and the way in which each new intriguing detail is skillfully revealed. It has a great cast of canon characters alongside some well-rounded and interesting new original ones - we particularly enjoyed the Muggle police and their fair suspicion of the Aurors! The drama and mystery in these first few chapters drew us in immediately, and we cannot wait for new chapters to arrive. A thrilling and very entertaining adventure!
    Banner

Best Poetry
    The First Autumn by Oregonian
    The First Autumn combines a winning combination of imagery that evokes not only the season beginning to unfurl, but Helga's fears and hopes. Its beauty is in the language, style, and soft undulating rhythm, but also in the way it stayed with us long after reading. Visual, apprehensive, touching.
    Banner

Best Canon Romance Fic
    Ripple from a Stone by WeasleyMom
    This is a truly exceptional fic about George and Angelina, understated yet incredibly moving. It is true to character for George ó glimpses his former self shine through his grief ó and yet there is no unrealistic recovery for him. The writing is beautiful; the hints at the future romance are there but not overwhelming. It is about the bare beginnings of a relationship - two people who are slowly making their way towards something new.
    Banner

Best Non-Canon Romance Fic
    Ephemeral by WrenWinterSong
    This story is well-written and polished, with a graceful prose style. The romance is subtle but steady, against a seamless background of the richly invoked time of the First Wizarding War. Wren chooses a few specific scenes to describe -- Remus's job-hunting efforts, his "shack' in Yorkshire, Peter's wretched hiding place in the abandoned church -- to capture the mood of the situation, and exercises excellent choice of details to set the scenes and reveal the characters' emotional states through descriptions of their actions. The changing point of view gives both Remus and Sirius thorough character development as two broken souls dealing with angst, stress, and self-doubt through very difficult times and personal circumstances. Overall, the story unfolds beautifully as a series of vignettes and deals well with the challenges the characters face.
    Banner

Best New Canon Fic
    The Road to Delphi by Kerichi
    This fic is really in a class of its own - under a ghastly surface there is great subtlety, characterisation, and it offers an intriguing explanation for the origins of Delphi from The Cursed Child. Dark, atmospheric and very unsettling, we appreciated the way Kerichi takes new canon elements from The Cursed Child and weaves a plausible series of missing moments to give good reasoning to that new canon. A worthy winner of this new award category!
    Banner

Congratulations to all of our winners! Feel free to leave any comments/praise/chocolate sprinkles in this thread for our amazing authors.
    Last edited by the opaleye; 09-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Banner by Lydia. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Thank you guys so much, and congratulations to all the winners! I always look forward to judging the awards so I can catch up on the best of the best from last year, since I'm not around the site as much. This year was no exception--great stories all around. Congrats to all the nominated authors!
    Last edited by the opaleye; 09-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Y'all, I can't edit my post. I wrote sight instead of site. What's with no edit option? Okay, I'm just going to walk away now and not stress, pressing down the grammar freak inside....

Julia edit: I have fixed it for you, Lori No idea why there is no edit button though!
    Last edited by the opaleye; 09-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.