Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Supernatural Challenge aka play to Lily's interests aka the October Challenge

Seventh Year Slytherin
    Dobby's Sock Addiction Begins
    I presume we are to post our drabbles in this thread also, so may I have the honor of posting the first one?

Name: Oregonian
    House: Slytherin
    Title: The Medusa Costume
    Word Count: 454
    Rating/Warnings: 1st-2nd years, none

Prompt: "No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused." A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

She was sitting at a plastic-topped table in the student union cafeteria with a number of library books, some opened, spread out around her, along with some pages printed from the internet and sheets of blank paper. The topic of all this study was folklore and mythology, a class she was taking at university.

On one blank sheet she was listing a variety of creation myths and cosmologies. The earth was created from the bones and blood of the primordial supernatural being. The earth was a half dome supported on the backs of four elephants who stood on the back of a giant turtle that swam forever in an endless sea.

On the second sheet she listed mythical creatures that were constructions of two known animals: centaurs (horses and humans), satyrs (goats and humans), griffins (lions and eagles), and so on.

On the third sheet she made a chart of mythical monsters, such as dragons, hydras, and gorgons, to compare and contrast their characteristics. Her class had been discussing the recent theory that early inhabitants of the classical world had discovered fossilized remains of early Cenozoic-era megafauna as they weathered out of ancient sedimentary deposits, and that these fossilized skulls and giant bones of long-extinct animals had engendered the beliefs in mythical creatures. It was not an unreasonable idea.

She opened her bag and took out her home-packed lunch — a cold bacon-and-tomato-and-lettuce sandwich and a banana. There was also a granola bar for later in the afternoon. Hanging on the cafeteria walls were some cardboard skeletons, jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, and black cats that caught her attention as she ate, reminding her that although the university took no break for Hallowe’en, there would soon be a party with her friends that she could attend. Maybe one of these monsters would be a good inspiration for a costume. How about Medusa the gorgon?

Green makeup, fake fangs, fluorescent green polish on her fingernails and toenails, a ragged gray dress, and a wig covered with rubber snakes from the shops. That should do it easily. But the snakes would just be hanging there. How could she make them writhe properly? She wished it were possible.

Her family had assured her that being a Squib was not her fault, but she blamed herself anyway. Had she done something wrong? Had she been too lazy or careless as a child, too interested in play when she should have been practicing? Not realizing how it would affect her life forever? She wished it had been possible to go back and live those years over again, knowing what she knew now, so that she could have tried a little harder.

Then maybe she could have at least made the rubber snakes writhe.
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    [center]
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Definitely did not forget to post my drabble...

Name: Abi/crazy717
    House: Griffin-of-the-Dor
    Title: Step Out of the Shadow
    Word Count: 487
    Rating/Warnings: 1st-2nd years
    A/N: I'm not sure quite how well this fits the prompts set but it is set at a Halloween party (I can't remember if I specified that in the story, though there are mentions of costumes). Not the best drabble ever but I have a lot of work that I need to do over the next week so I wanted to post it early before I forgot. I also couldn't find a beta so there are probably a hundred grammatical errors in here as I am hopeless at grammar (especially commas )

Prompt: Its power is more than I've ever experienced. It’s dark and seductive.

Peter looked around at the laughing, smiling faces of the people surrounding him, marvelling at how deceptive appearances could be. If you looked closely enough you could see the permanent shadow of fear clouding their eyes. However, tonight it was as though their costumes had transformed them, creating the perfect façade for them to hide behind.

With a half-hearted smile he considered how incredible it was that so little alcohol could cause all their troubles to seemingly melt away. Up on the table Gideon and Fabian were singing rather off-key song called ‘Lament of the House-elf’. Peter wasn’t sure the song actually existed, but he decided that the performance made for an amusing show. He noticed that Marlene and Sirius clearly agreed as began a dance-off, Marlene’s face tomato-red from the effort to stop laughing long enough to focus. Over in the corner, Benjy was drunkenly trying to convince Lily that he had not forgotten to wear a costume and that rather he was the top half of a centaur - a point he tried to prove by repeatedly quoting “mars is bright tonight” enigmatically.

“Blimey, how much have they had to drink?” Peter turned his head to find Dorcas stood next to him having just come in from duty.

“Enough for them to forget everything that’s happening for a while,” he replied with a shrug. He panicked slightly as Dorcas raised her eyebrows at the thinly-veiled bitterness in his voice. “I’m working tomorrow morning, so I can’t drink,” he added hurriedly in an attempt to cover up any suspicion.

He marvelled at how easily she bought his lie. Peter had done well so far to ensure no one knew that his true loyalties weren’t to the Order. No one suspects me because they don’t think I’m capable of it, Peter thought bitterly. He looked over to where Sirius had now joined Remus and James in the corner of the room, unable to control the stab of jealousy that went through him as he watched his best friends laugh uncontrollably at something one of them had said. Best friends. What a load of Hippogriff dung. Not even they believe that I’m capable of anything.

Peter used to find his friends at great source of comfort. The fact that he had belonged with them had made him feel safe and secure, and their ability to face anything had contributed to that. Now though, he looked at his friends and saw that outside of the castle walls they had no power; they were scared. The Marauders may have top within Hogwarts but no one - not even Albus Dumbledore - could match the power of the Dark Lord. Through his new alliance, Peter found that he himself held power over the Order, over his friends. Yes, no longer was Peter Pettigrew left in the shadow of the Marauders, and never before had he experienced anything that felt so good.

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Seventh Year Slytherin
    Title: Night In The Museum
    Word Count: 500
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd years, none.

Prompt: "Seeing is not believing -- it is only seeing." The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

Sammy, the night watchman at the natural history museum, began his evening rounds through the exhibit areas, trash sack in hand for stowing bits of rubbish that had not gone into the bins during the day. Candy wrappers on the floor, paper cups holding an inch of cold coffee on the ledges, occasionally a personal item that had value. His main focus was finding the trash and trying the handles of supposedly-locked doors; the exhibits themselves never gave him any trouble. He enjoyed pausing in his duties to watch the nocturnal animals through the glass.

In the corners of the tropical area, banana plants grew their coarse broad leaves and hands of little green bananas, all pointing upwards. The spiky, tomato-red blooms of the bird-of-paradise plants stood out even in the dimmed light, and the little fruit bats would emerge from their wooden bat house and flutter around; during the day they slept inside, hanging upside down from the dowel sticks by their tiny toenails.

Sammy passed through to the desert room, which featured snakes and lizards, and included a pond with turtles, chameleons, and geckoes.

There was more rubbish than average tonight because the museum had hosted a Hallowe’en-themed party for a mob of costumed children; candy wrappers were everywhere. As Sammy gathered them into his sack, he heard a sudden sharp noise behind him, and he whipped around to see what it was. No one was supposed to be there.

He scanned the room rapidly and spotted a small form standing not twenty feet away, motionless. His first thought was that it was a party kid who had hidden among the exhibits, or perhaps had fallen asleep during the party and had only now emerged. The kid wore an elf-like costume and an extravagant mask with bat-like ears and a long nose. Why hasn’t he been missed? Sammy wondered. Why haven’t his parents instituted a search?

He squatted down. “Hi, kid. Are you lost?”

The figure backed away, keeping its eyes on Sammy, and then it raised its hand.

Those fingers are sure long and bony, the watchman thought, and then he realized Those are not just fright gloves. Flicking his eyes downward, he saw impossibly skinny legs and big bare feet that didn’t look like rubber. His stomach tightened and his eyes darted left and right. Are there more of them? An invasion?

The figure spoke, but Sammy couldn’t understand the words. That’s not “I want my mummy.”

Accio hippogriff!” What did that mean?

He saw motion in the corner of his eye. An object sped right through the air from the adjacent gallery straight into the skinny outstretched arms of the figure, which deftly caught it, spun around, and utterly vanished with the same sharp noise Sammy had heard previously. Sammy collapsed on the floor.

At the house, the house-elf returned the stuffed toy to his master’s little son. “Bunky says, don’t be so careless next time.”
    [center]

Seventh Year Slytherin
    Title: The Endless Wait
    Word Count: 493
    Rating/Warnings: 1st-2nd years, none.

Prompt: "There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection." The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald

Severus Snape found himself in a vast white space with a smooth floor that shimmered into the distance, and pearlescent walls and vaulted ceiling that were sensed more than seen, for white light was streaming through them. There were no fixed objects to focus on, so that he felt disoriented, even dizzy, but there was also a sense of motion as if he were being nudged in a definite direction, and soon he found himself in a smaller space reminiscent of a train carriage that carried him forward until he arrived in a place of many other people.

A figure separated itself from the crowd and approached him, a young woman whom he did not recognize, thin and dark-haired, but with a bright look of hope on her face.

“Who are you?” she said.

“Severus Snape. Why do you ask?”

“I am looking for my son, Tom Marvolo Riddle.”

“And you are…”

“My name is Merope Riddle, but I was born a Gaunt, the youngest descendant of Salazar Slytherin, except for my son. But my family came down in the world; in the end we were so poor that we didn’t even have a house-elf for the housework. In fact, sometimes we barely had food on the table. We were just hanging on by our toenails. I wanted a better life for my son. But I could not manage. I could not even stay alive for him. Whenever a train arrives, I look for him and ask after him.”

Her smile faded and she dropped her eyes. “But perhaps you are too young to have known him. He is seventy-two years old now. And I was only nineteen years old when I came here. I wonder what he will look like. An old man, or a man in the prime of life?”

Severus felt himself briefly with his hands. He felt the same as ever, unchanged.

“I think he will look as he does on the day of his death,” he said.

“If he resembles his father, I will know him when I see him, no matter what his age,” Merope said confidently.

“I don’t think so. He is much changed.”

“You have seen him. When? What was he doing?”

“He was at the head of a great army.”

“A great army,” she repeated breathlessly. “To take his rightful place in the world at last?”

Snape shook his head sorrowfully. “The whole world has turned turtle, and I do not know who will prevail. I do not have the centaur’s power as a seer.”

Behind him Snape heard the sounds of a joyful reunion. “Blimey, it’s me cousin Jake! How are ye, lad?”

Would Merope ever be reunited with her son, Snape wondered. He doubted it. Perhaps he himself would see his own mother again, maybe even his father, about whom he had mixed feelings. He could explain to them what he had done with his life, and how he had died.

But Merope would remain here, meeting every train, forever.
    [center]

Fifth Year Slytherin
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    If it's not too late, I'd like to play.

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    2. The X-Files
    3. The Paranormal Activity movies

Banner by the lovely Pooja. <3

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Too bad this drabble challenge is from almost two years ago! I would have LOVED to take part in it. Are there any current ones??

Seventh Year Slytherin
    Hi, LilDevil. It's so nice to see a new face. I'm Vicki from Slytherin House, and I would say you're in luck, because although this drabble challenge was started almost two years ago, it was never judged (I have this list of 2014 challenges taped up next to my computer, and they're all crossed off as judged, except this one), so theoretically the challenge is still open.

The person who posted the challenge has been on hiatus for a little while, but if you would like to pick three supernatural sources and post them here, the rest of us ought to be able collectively to come up with some quote prompts to get you started.

I love writing drabbles myself, and after the QSQ judging is over, we can come up with a new challenge in The Three Broomsticks.
    [center]

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    That would be great! I'll leave three picks.. might end up leaving more once I complete those three - if it's allowed. I'm getting a little bleary eyed at the moment and need to get some sleep before work tomorrow. My sister - nonbiological just have claimed each other as twins since becoming friends several years ago - is mudbloodproud. I was a member here years ago but had to leave due to real life issues and cannot even remember what my username or anything was so ended up creating this new account. Anyway! My picks off the top of my head for tonight..

**I was going to send you a PM, but it says that you need to delete some from your storage before you can accept any others.**

1. Charmed

2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer

3. the Sign Of Seven trilogy by Nora Roberts
    Last edited by LilDevilWriter; 08-26-2016 at 06:04 AM. Reason: to add a note

Seventh Year Slytherin
    Here are some quotes to inspire your drabbles, LilDevilWriter.

1. Charmed
    It's a stone that the Egyptians believed would protect them against spells, curses, evil spirits.

2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Are we so strange, so alien to you?

3. The Sign Of Seven
    A lot of people are mean, and even if they're not, a lot more people think they're better than you.
    [center]