+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone ever one here?

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Some English speaking place that is sadly not Hogwarts.
    I just had a thought. Maybe the reason not many are on here anymore isn't because the Potterhead fandom is going downhill, but that not enough of these Potterheads know where to come to meet! I for one have met many friends through this fandom, and there are many other sites where we can be found, so why not have a mass recruiting project to bring them to us?

All it needs is just a little effort on our part. Start coming up with ideas and posting, become a little more active on forms to show people we're still alive, and maybe put up some additional house comps to get us in the spirit! To make a good site, you first need lots of people to visit the site, if we're only having a handful visit there's only so much that can be done. I know most of us surf the interweb more than just for this, so it stands to reason we have lots of opportunity there, right?
    Different and proud!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    EADA Benjamin Stone's office (having somehow jumped back to the early 90s)
    *slithers in*

Hello, Shadowkat678. I believe I saw a post from you in our Introduce Yourself thread in the Gryffindor Common Room a year or so back, so its good to see you return.

As Oregonian already pointed out, I am a very active little bee, and I share everyone else's pain over how things have slowed down. But, there are several challenges, and we just finished up the TV challenge in the Great Hall.

As Carole said, some of us are very busy judging the QSQs right now, but when that ends, we will be able to focus on other things.

There is independent study going on right now in our Hogwarts classes forum, so feel free to hop on over there and take a few classes for some points.

And like Vicki said, if you review people's work, they are most likely going to review back, or at least respond to your review. I know that I do!

And don't hesitate to PM someone, or ask questions.

Concerning group writing, we do have a few that happen here in the forums, like the Quidditch challenge. The TV challenge that just finished could have also been a partnered story. We also have fun huge group challenges, like the TTB Brawl, and even from time to time we have the Gauntlet. Feel free to join in on any challenges, participate in the SBBC, and also post in other forums, like Fiction Junction, where right now, the Summer Review Drive is alive and happening. You'll get points for leaving reviews.

All in all, there is a lot to do here, and while it may feel like a graveyard at times, there are still people here, digging their way up from their coffins...
    Banner by the opaleye and avvie by me

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Ultimate Chess
    Hi Shadowkat678,

We actually run several things related to MNFF, like the MNFF tumblr which has nearly 700 followers- we post story recommendations and Harry Potter graphics all the time! We also run the MNFF twitter and FB which do the same thing, and we have hundreds of likes! That said, if you would like to recruit your friends here, I'm not complaining ....

Most of the active forums here can only be seen once you are a member of the boards and sorted! I am in the process of setting up a Hogsmeade weekend which may actually involve some Inter-House collaboration...so find a partner! We are small but mighty, I like to think. Plus, a lot of us are busy with QSQ awards...give it a couple months.

We're so glad to see you here and wondeirng whether it is active...it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but we certainly are all here.

Lily
    Lily Writes ♥ piningwillow Blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence Tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Hey cowriting sounds like fun. I've never done it before, but I'm game.

And I'd love to read your story when it goes through. Are you the same penname on the fanfiction site as you are on the boards? (Oh, and don't get discouraged if they don't approve your story on the first submission. It took me like 4 or 5 submissions my first time.)

While this site has less traffic than other hp fansites, it seems to be higher quality. And I've actually had more reviews in this community than in other locations I've posted stories. I think it's because there are fewer stories on this site, so yours won't get lost among all the others.

First Year Gryffindor
    Thanks everyone! And yeah, my username is the same for pretty much every site I go to. Most of my stories are on Fanfiction.net, I have to move them over. Kinda wondering how long that'll take, as I still have no idea when my oneshot will be looked at right now. (What is the average wait time for that anyway?)

I'd hoped to find someone to beta them before I submitted but I kind of gave up on that last year when I first came on. I've tried on some other sites but people seem to have a habit of dropping off the face of earth with a lot of things... I already have one story up, but it's only the first chapter of a story I'm really not sure if I should continue or not. I always seem to lose my motivation with chaptered fics...

And the class thing doesn't seem to have anything in it. I checked. Do I have to do something to see them? I'm already sorted.

And Wenlock, I'd be happy to cowrite with you. I've never done it before either, but I know how and have been wanting to for a while.
    Different and proud!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    EADA Benjamin Stone's office (having somehow jumped back to the early 90s)
    Yes, to be part of the class, you have to join the Student Group. If you go to your own member page, on the left, it will say Join Permission Groups. Click on it, and you find the Student Group. Submit an application to join, and then you will be able to be part of all the classes.
    Banner by the opaleye and avvie by me

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?
    Hi, Shadowkat. I was going to answer your question, but I see that Nagini has jumped in ahead of me.
    I presume that you know how to access your member page, but I will say it anyway: the fast way is to click on your name in one of your posts, and you go to your member page right away.
    The list of groups that you can get permission to join includes the names of the group leaders, and you need to send the group leader a Private Message asking to join; simply clicking the "join group" box doesn't do it. Click on her name, see her member page, click on "send Private Message". It's quick to do and you will get added to the group right away so that you can access all the classes.
    Other groups that you can join by using the same method include SPEW, where we learn how to write better reviews, and SBBC, where we discuss certain stories in depth; when you join, you are granted access to all the threads of that forum.

It's easy to bite off more than you can chew at first, because all these groups are fun but they do take time, so my advice is to start with one and take it from there.

Vicki/Oregonian

P.S. Hope to see you in a class very soon!

P. P. S. Here's a fun thing you can do right now! Go to the Hogsmeade forum and select The Candy Challenge thread. People are asked to create a new candy for Honeydukes to sell, and then people are asked to write a short drabble about a candy that has been posted. I noticed that Nagini Riddle (that incredibly imaginative Gryffindor) has already posted a charmingly cute candy that she calls 'Fruit Bats'. You could write a drabble about it and gain 5 points for your House right away!

In general, to keep up with developments quickly and easily, I click on 'New Posts' in the upper left-hand area of the Forum home page (ignore the statement that says there are no new posts), then click on 'Activity Stream', and I see all the new posts of every forum I have access to.
    Last edited by Oregonian; 08-07-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

First Year Gryffindor
    Thanks guys! I'll go do that!
    Different and proud!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?
    Hi guys! This thread seems to be a good place for people to discuss how to get activity going on the Beta Forums, apropos of Shadowkat's initial question of where everybody has gone.

In the forum of The Great Hall is a sub forum called the Dueling Club, where people ask one another questions about their writing experiences, preferences, etc. I saw it when I first joined MNFF, but I was too chicken to put up a dueling thread of my own, thinking that no one would want to ask me any questions when I didn't even have much of an author's page. I was also intimidated by the length of the list of questions that people asked and the erudite answers that some duelers seemed to give. I thought it must take a long time, but it was fun to read other people's duels.

It would be nice to revive the Dueling Club, perhaps with the modification that instead of asking six questions to our target person, we ask only one or two questions, to make it easier to participate. There are lots of threads in the Dueling Club, many belonging to people who don't seem to hang out in MNFF much anymore, but we relative newcomers could start our own threads and ask each other questions. Time marches on, and the old population is replaced by a new one.

So I started a thread for myself on the Dueling Club today, and I will troll through the list of threads already there to see if there are some belonging to people who seem to still be around, and ask them each one question. Feel free to ask me any question you want, and if you start threads, I will ask you questions too.
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

+ Reply to Thread