+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone ever one here?

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Some English speaking place that is sadly not Hogwarts.

Is anyone ever one here?

I came here last year after hearing about it from a friend, but it seems totally empty. No one ever replied to beta requests, everything's dead, and I came back really hoping for some activity, thinking maybe no one had been on because of the time of year...but it still looks the same. I really, really want this place to be somewhere I can be and have fun being on, but it seems the same everywhere! The Leaky Cauldron for some reason won't let me sign up and I can't contact them, Sugar Quillis dead, Fanfiction hardly has anything good, and then, well I already explained this...

Please tell me people are still here somewhere! I'm just a very devoted Potterhead looking for somewhere to find other Potterheads! If there's someway to help get this place going again, I'd gladly help, but I'm so tired of finding places and never getting anything from them! If someone's here, just please comment on this! I'm sorry this turned more into a rant then the question I was originally going to post this to be... *goes into a corner to cry frustratedly*
    Different and proud!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seven Bottles of Potions
    Hi Shadowkat. This is Vicki from Slytherin House. I remember your name from when you first arrived here. Yes, it's like some movie set in medieval times, where the hero arrives at a seemingly empty village, believing that everyone has died of the plague, and he stands in the middle of the village square, shouting, "Is there anyone here?" until one or two people emerge from around the sides of the buildings. Our community of Potterheads is a lot smaller now than it used to be, since many young people (and old ones too, maybe) are off to other, newer fandoms, but there are still many of us here.

There is activity, especially in the writing challenges in places like The Three Broomsticks and The Great Hall. People who write poetry as well as prose have their threads in Poetry, Anyone, which is located in The Great Hall; they post their poems there and give each other critiques. People also write reviews of other people's stories that are posted on the archives, and more often than not, the author will respond to your review, so that you can meet people that way. As you might know, we get points for our Houses when we enter challenges and contests, and it doesn't matter if our writings aren't very good; we all get participation points anyway, and it's fun to get a few points for your house.
    When I joined, two years ago, I was kind of shy to jump right in, so I just lurked around for a while, writing my first story, and after it was finished and posted, I decided that I should really do something for my House, so I got into a drabble challenge where you had to write 100-word drabbles, and I thought, "Well, I can do that," so I did, and my House got a bunch of participation points for it, and my fellow Slytherins were so glad to see the points, and after that I just wanted to keep going, to make them glad.

There is still activity in SPEW (where we learn to write better reviews of people's stories) and SBBC, where we just discuss certain selected stories.

I see that you are in Gryffindor House. My good friend Nagini Riddle is also a Gryffindor (the first review I ever wrote was for a poem by her, when I didn't know her at all), and she is very active. If you post things in the Gryffindor Common Room, she and perhaps some other Gryffindors will see them and post also. (I can't say for sure because, being a Slytherin, I can't actually see anybody else's common room.)

I guess all the Harry Potter sites are small now, compared to their heyday of six or eight years back, so it's less like a Mardi Gras and more like a family party, but there is still love here.
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

First Year Gryffindor
    I'm glad to hear that. It's strange though, because the Harry Potter fandom is still the biggest in the world. You see us everywhere, so it makes me sad I can't seem to find them in a Harry Potter site as much as I should.

I haven't seen many posts in the common room, but maybe I overlooked them. I also noticed not many people review things here, which kinda discourages much posting. It feels like kind of a let down when you work so hard on something and it's like no one sees it. But I'm glad to know there are still some people here. I'll try and check some of those threads out.

And how do I get one of those banners?
    Last edited by Shadowkat678; 08-05-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: A extra question
    Different and proud!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seven Bottles of Potions
    Hi Shadowkat. I was thinking of something else to tell you while I was making dinner so I had to come back on and post again. My suggestion is that when you go to write something and are looking for a beta, make your first story be a one-shot of 1500-2000 words because a prospective beta might be reluctant to take on a beta job for an unknown writer, not knowing if that job would be a whole lot of work with many corrections and much instruction in proper writing. After you have posted a couple of short stories and people can see your style and level of skill, they are more likely to be willing to take on the job for a longer story. And beta readers do not need to be people on this forum. Any literarily-knowledgeable person whom you know can do the job for you, though if they don't know Harry Potter you will want a Potterhead to check for silly canon errors.

The way to get a banner is to decide what kind of image you would like to have, and then go to the Bannermakers thread and ask one of them if she would like to make it for you. By reading these threads, you can see how these requests are done. Nagini Riddle makes my banners for me, but there are many excellent banner makers. Once you have struck a deal with a banner maker and she has made an image that you like, then there is a computer-technical procedure for getting it onto your signature, and people can walk you through it, if necessary (it was necessary for me!) when you get to that stage.

It's true that not many people review things, but I have noticed that if I review other people's stuff, they often reciprocate by reading and reviewing my stuff.

Vicki
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Shadowkat, even if it doesn't look like there are people here, there are some forums that are far busier than others - by the way, Oregonian, I love your description of a medieval town, plague-ridden and empty when the hero rides (or walks) in. And while the HP fandom is the largest there is, we no longer have the benefit of new movies or books to bring new members, though hopefully that will change when the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie comes out. And membership participation waxes and wanes; summer seems to be a bit busier as people finish school.

There is activity, especially in the writing challenges in places like The Three Broomsticks and The Great Hall. People who write poetry as well as prose have their threads in Poetry, Anyone, which is located in The Great Hall; they post their poems there and give each other critiques...There is still activity in SPEW (where we learn to write better reviews of people's stories) and SBBC, where we just discuss certain selected stories.
    I second that. Not all the forums are busy, but those that are stay relatively busy and kicking all year long. And jump in to whatever House boards Gryffindor has; if Gryffindor is anything like Ravenclaw, you should see some steady participation in your house threads.
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

First Year Gryffindor
    Thanks guys, I'll check some of those out. Tried posting a oneshot a while back but apparently something was wrong at the time, I just tried posting a newer one a few days ago, hopfully I'll hear back soon. And I wish I was sorted into Ravenclaw, it's not very active in Gryffendor. I'm still kinda confused how I ended up with the Lions, to tell you the truth. I've always been with the Eagles.

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Different and proud!

First Year Gryffindor
    Thanks guys, I'll check some of those out. Tried posting a oneshot a while back but apparently something was wrong at the time, I just tried posting a newer one a few days ago, hopfully I'll hear back soon. And I wish I was sorted into Ravenclaw, it's not very active in Gryffendor. I'm still kinda confused how I ended up with the Lions, to tell you the truth. I've always been with the Eagles.

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Different and proud!

First Year Gryffindor
    Okay, do not know how that happened...
    Different and proud!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    There might even be a Three Broomsticks challenge coming up soon if the barmaid can get her ass into gear. *blush*
    The time of year is relevant. At the moment the people who are most active are also judges in the QSQs (Quick Silver Quills) so we're a little distracted.
    Activity is down from its heyday, that much is true, and I feel you, it's sad when what you want to do is enthuse, but there's no one else listening. I've posted HP fic on this site and still get a reasonable response as opposed to other multi-fandom sites where the Potter fandom seems even more in decline.

Hufflepuff used to be buzzing, but most of us appear to be hibernating. The thing is, some of us have been here over six years, and need to stretch our wings.

Carole (who is the barmaid in case you didn't know. There should be a summer comp coming mid August.)

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

First Year Gryffindor
    That sounds cool. Does anyone ever get together for cowriting here? I think that would be a cool way to get everyone together. Or some site wide multi house collaboration projects.
    Different and proud!

+ Reply to Thread