Thread: Banners by Bella

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

Banners by Bella

Hello everyone! I just got some new photoshop stuff and have been making tons of banners, so I thought I'd start up a thread.
    in case someone wants a banner, I am currently AVAILABLE to make them. Sorry if they take a while, because of school and so on.

So… here's some of my work:

Elsa from Frozen

Something inspired by Mockingjay

From my fic alternate magic

I'll post more soon.
    Last edited by clabbert2101; 01-04-2014 at 11:29 PM.

This is my new hunger games fanfic!
    banner and avvie by me

First Year Slytherin
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Hi Bella -

Welcome to banner-making! You show a lot of promise - and you are miles ahead of where I was when I started. I'm going to critique your gallery just like I would a BA Member - please don't be discouraged, because these are all just suggestions!

Your Frozen image shows you know how to source good-quality images, and I love the placement of the bottom-two Elsa's! I'd be wary in the future of erasing part of a body part (the top and bottom-right Elsa's are both missing part of their arms). If possible, either include the entire picture (which you had enough space to do in this large image), position the unwanted body parts to be off of the canvas (corners/edges) or blend the arm into the background textures. I love the snowflakes and brushes you used, but be deliberate about the placement of said brushes - the swirls touch the tops of the bottom two Elsa's heads, and I'm not 100% sure you meant for them to. I love the font you used - very icy, which is a great great choice for Elsa, but I'd have love to see the top Elsa moved a bit to the left so that her hand wasn't covered by the "E". I would then maybe then top the whole image with some great blue-white-icy textures and some swirly light textures?

I love that you used Katniss in your next image. It's a little cluttered as it is - keep in mind that the placement of text should ADD to the banner and help to explain/highlight the images inside, rather than distract from them. When you place text over a busy image like a dress or a face, it becomes harder to read. I would gather all of the text together and place it smaller right in the middle, where the top-Katniss's dress fades away. Also, be careful about erasing too much when removing the background of your images - the top-Katniss has fuzzy hair and her hand is a bit wonky. I would turn this banner purple, I think, or maybe a green/yellow combo, to show the hope that's reflected in the text? I think the dark grey is a little sad, when the text is so hopeful. Make the colors reflect the banner's mood! I love the border - great work there.

Your Alternate Magic banner makes me want to read the story! Why is the girl so sad? Who is she? Is the light hopeful or damning? I wish you used color - I would love to see what choices you would make there based upon the content of the story. I love the red text, but with your text, make sure you click "Anti-Alias" or the "Smooth" buttons - it will stop your tagline from being jagged-looking! Also, you should move your author's name a little bit off of the edge of the banner so it's easier to read properly. Otherwise, I love it - great placement of the girl, smooth blending of her hair, great light.

Great start! I hope you keep bannering!!
    Laur

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Laurskii- Thank you so much for the critiques! I'm glad you think that these are off to a good start. I'll definitely make the changes to the Katniss and Elsa banners, and I'll see what I can do for the Alternate Magic one. Thanks!

This is my new hunger games fanfic!
    banner and avvie by me