Thread: The SPEW Wire 1.0

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

The SPEW Wire 1.0

Welcome to the SPEW Wire, where all SPEW members can talk about everything under the sun. The only requirement is to ask and answer at least one TQ. Here are a few to get you started:

Are you reading any new books or series at the moment? Delving into any new fandoms?

Are there any films coming out you can't wait to see?

Does anyone partake in any craft-y hobbies?
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Are you reading any new books or series at the moment? Delving into any new fandoms?
    I've been beastly about reading lately, but I have the first five Percy Jackson books and would quite like to get into them soon. I'm also looking forward to a reread of Hunger Games.

WINTERSOLDIERWINTERSOLDIERWINTERSOLDIER!!!!!!!!!11 1!! Words cannot describe my love for Steve Rogers/Captain America, and this film is gearing up to be epic and probably will make me cry like a silly little girl. *swoons*

I miss doing crafty things, like sewing, crocheting, weaving dream catchers, and drawing. I used to be far more skilled in this area, but the distance between me and time to do these things is sadly too great to recall many of the finer aspects of most of them.

NEW TQ: Would either of you ladies like to delve into a writing activity?

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seeking Keys
    What I'm reading right now are some creative writing textbooks and a couple of books about the history of Iceland, to develop a story from my January drabble challenge entry about the Malfoy family's discovery of evidence that the French Malfoys who entered England with the Norman Conquest may have been all murdered during the Middle Ages by Icelandic marauders who usurped their houses, their lands, and their very identities. Not a prize-winning drabble theme, unfortunately, but my daughter Elaine, who is highly knowledgeable about all things Scandinavian, is eager for me to develop and complete this medieval mystery. It will take much research, but she can help me greatly with that.

Not that I can think of. I see trailers on television for upcoming movies, but it's hard to know if they will be good. I usually wait for recommendations of friends or family. I went to see Frozen on my daughter's recommendation that it was full of Scandinavian references, some of which I could see, but she told me that the castle in Frozen was a copy of Akershus Castle in Oslo, which I would not have known otherwise.

In the warmer half of the year I expend a lot of time and calories in yard work, trying to keep the jungle at bay, and each year vowing to do better. But much of this work is mindless, and the imagination wanders to plot development, dialogues, and verses of poetry as the hours go by. I also enjoy the fiber arts, making things for family members, feeling great satisfaction when something beautiful emerges from under my fingers. Now that my daughter and granddaughter are moving back to Oregon from South Africa, I expect that this line of endeavor will expand.

Would either of you ladies like to delve into a writing activity?
    Maybe, although there are many writing activities already on the Boards--PA, the Review Drive, the new Valentine exchange that just popped up today, and Madam Rosmerta's next challenge, which cannot be very far off. I am taking advantage of the winter weather to stay indoors and write, before spring arrives and the garden screams for my attention again.

TQ: What, if anything, do you do to learn the theory of the craft of writing?
    My answer: I bought a series of textbooks about fiction writing and a set of DVDs about crafting better sentences. Busy as I am, I have been going through them slowly and have been applying their analysis to my writing, happily discovering that I have been doing some things right already, without realizing it. Occasionally there is a lecture at our public library about the craft or process of writing, and I attend those; at the last one, the speaker recommended the series of textbooks that I have, so I was pleased about that.
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Oh dear. I just finished the Divergent series, having read it in a week because it completely consumed me night and day. I really enjoy being held hostage by a book like that, but it's also good to return to real life (as I'm sure my family agrees, haha.) Even though I found the whole thing quite traumatizing in the end, I am still looking forward to the movie version coming out in a few weeks.

I'm pretty crafty, but I don't work on things all the time. I did a lot getting ready for Christmas, making a few burlap wreaths and Christmas ornament type things with monograms. But it sort of comes in spurts. Haven't really got into it since the holidays.

Would either of you ladies like to delve into a writing activity?
    I'm always up for something, but am a bit consumed right now trying to get to the monthly in TTB and a Cotillion fic. I've attempted the Cotillion in past years, and did get one chapter up the first year (without finishing), but I would really like to contribute at least one one-shot this time around. We will see. But yeah, in general, I'm up for stuff.

TQ: What, if anything, do you do to learn the theory of the craft of writing?
    Eep, the word craft is daunting. More Ravenclaw than Hufflepuff -- lol. I mainly just read. I read the authors I really like, whose style I think is good and appeals to me. Reading so much from Veronica Roth this week, I kept noticing how very simply she says things, and yet how powerful a lot of her words hit me as a reader. It just reminded me to relax and let things flow and not get hung up trying to make sure things sound impressive or whatever. So yeah, no studying really, just reading these days.

New TQ: Favorite snack?
    I saw this recipe for jalepeno popper dip on Pinterest and I'm going to whip some up after I get these kids to bed and try it out. Snacks make me happy, but my main answer would be chocolate or chips/crackers and cheese dip. Yummmmm.
    Lovely banner by Minna

Fifth Year Slytherin
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Are you reading any new books or series at the moment? Delving into any new fandoms? Well, recently I've become obsessed with Doctor who. I've watched almost every episode from season 1-6, and am finally getting the rest from the library. I cannot wait. I also really enjoy dystopian books, any kind. of course, I love divergent, and the hunger games, but there are other that for some unknown reason I cannot think of at the moment.

Are there any films coming out you can't wait to see? Definitely Captain America: the winter soldier. I'm not going to be able to see it in theaters, so I'll just have to wait a while. Gosh, I'm going to go crazy waiting!

Favorite snack? hmm...hard question. If we have rice pudding in the fridge, then that. But if not, then toast with butter and orange marmalade. Yum!

Does anyone partake in any craft-y hobbies? I love drawing, or really, anything art related. I seem to do my best drawings in church, which means i don't pay attention, sadly. so i have to sometime actually sit down other than church and draw. Because really, drawing in church?

New TQ: Anyone have any special plans this summer? My grandparents are going to be building an addition to our house and moving in, so i'm pretty excited. Not sure how it will be with a bunch of construction people around though. Probably pretty loud! I also might be going to an art camp this summer, which i'm pretty psyched about. It will also count for a college credit. yay!
    Georgia Duels!Georgia Drabbles!Georgia writes poetry!

completely Squeeable banner by Poojah. Isn't it amazing? Avvie by the amazing Julia/the opaleye

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia
    Are there any films coming out you can't wait to see? Definitely Captain America: the winter soldier. I'm not going to be able to see it in theaters, so I'll just have to wait a while. Gosh, I'm going to go crazy waiting!
    SDfsaldfjlasjdf;lasjdflksajdf!!!!!!11!! Winter Soldier is SO GOOD! It's, like, Avengers-level good. For a Marvel film, it actually has more of a political thriller vibe, along with the post-New York characterisation that Cap needed. I just know you'll love it. I've seen it twice and want to see it a thousand times more. I am pretty sure this will be a movie that won't leave my dvd player once I own it.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seeking Keys
    I loved the three Valentine Hearts that I received, and I tried to guess who wrote each one. Will you edit in the names of the authors, Jess, so that we will know whom to thank for each one?

Vicki
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Soooo, as the lovely Lori will be leaving us and Georgia seems to have left, I've decided that SPEW will go on hiatus after this review period until the QSQs are over. Both Vicki and I have QSQly duties, and I don't want anyone to overextend. See you in September!