Thread: school vacations

squirrly donut

school vacations

I can't remember if it's mentioned in the books, but how do students go home for Christmas break? Does the Hogwarts Express run? Also, can students go home for spring break? Logically they should be able to, but no one is ever mentioned as doing so even once.

SlytherinTears
    Well, for the Spring Break question, they have an Easter Holiday where the students go home for about a week (I think) and that is in the Spring.

SiriuslyMental
    They take the Hogwarts Express, yes.
    I can't remember exactly where it was mentioned, but it was.

cmwinters
    The reason it's not mentioned is that except for in Order, Harry doesn't do it, because he doesn't go to the Dursley's for his breaks. But yes, there is the 2 or 3 week winter break, and a week long summer break.

Actually in Order, the Weasley children and Harry took a Portkey from Dumbledore's office to 12 Grimmauld Place, and then Hermione later joined them by taking the Knight Bus from what appears to be Hogwarts to 12 Grimmauld Place, and then they took the Knight Bus back to Hogwarts, and then because of security concerns, connected McGonagall's fireplace to the Floo network so that Harry & Ron could take the Floo back from the Burrow.

However, both of these issues were extenuating circumstances. Dumbledore was trying to keep Harry away from Umbridge *and* the Dark Lord in Order, and by the time HBP rolled around, everyone was perfectly well aware that Harry was in danger from the Dark Lord.

Further, I can't see someone like Draco Malfoy ever taking the Knight Bus. It's entirely possible that, especially while Lucius was on the Board of Governors, and perhaps even after, he arranged for a Portkey or even to Apparate Draco from the grounds directly, or possibly to Floo from Snape's.

But for the average student, like, say, Hannah Abbot, or Michael Corner, I think it would probably be the Hogwarts Express.

Snape's Talon
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Further, I can't see someone like Draco Malfoy ever taking the Knight Bus. It's entirely possible that, especially while Lucius was on the Board of Governors, and perhaps even after, he arranged for a Portkey or even to Apparate Draco from the grounds directly, or possibly to Floo from Snape's.
    I agree Draco wouldn't use the Knight Bus, however, he uses Hogwarts Express at the beginning and end of the school year, so I don't see why Lucius would make an exception just for holidays.

And did anyone answer the Spring Break/Easter question? From the Lexicon's notes on calendars, it would appear in OotP, the Easter break is longer than a week. I'm curious whether there's evidence if students are dismissed at that time like they are for Christmas.

emmaholloway
    in POA I believe, Fudge says to Harry that they will take him back for the summer holidays provided he stayed at hogwarts for the christmas and easter holidays.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Snape's Talon
    I agree Draco wouldn't use the Knight Bus, however, he uses Hogwarts Express at the beginning and end of the school year, so I don't see why Lucius would make an exception just for holidays.

Yes, but it seems to be a *requirement* to use the Hogwarts Express at least before the school year, because not every student lives convenient to London. There are some students who it would be a shorter trip to go directly to Hogwarts, but they still have to take the express.

And did anyone answer the Spring Break/Easter question? From the Lexicon's notes on calendars, it would appear in OotP, the Easter break is longer than a week. I'm curious whether there's evidence if students are dismissed at that time like they are for Christmas.

Do you mean apart from the time that some of them leave for the holidays and the teachers take lists of who's leaving and who's staying? A "formal" dismissal? Unless I'm not understanding your question (which is entirely possible), there is no evidence of a formal dismissal at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaholloway
    in POA I believe, Fudge says to Harry that they will take him back for the summer holidays provided he stayed at hogwarts for the christmas and easter holidays.

Yeah, but Fudge was talking about the Blood Protection Harry receives at the Dursleys. At the time, they were trying to protect Harry from Sirius Black, and he only needed to be able to call 4 Privet Drive "home" to continue the protection.

Snape's Talon
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Do you mean apart from the time that some of them leave for the holidays and the teachers take lists of who's leaving and who's staying?
    I know that happens for Christmas, but I couldn't recall it for Easter. If it did, that would be evidence enough for them going home for spring break.

cmwinters
    I know that happens for Christmas, but I couldn't recall it for Easter. If it did, that would be evidence enough for them going home for spring break.
    Harry doesn't typically go home (at least, not to the Dursleys) , but yes, some of the students do, and Harry has gone to the Burrow on occasion.

Remember, during Chamber, Draco stayed, which seems to be a bit unusual for him (he didn't do it again until HBP when he had other things on his mind), and Ron happened to stay in SS too because his parents went to visit Charlie, but again, this seems to be unusual.

SiriuslyMental
    For Easter, basing this off of the public school that my cousin goes to in London, Easter holiday would be two weeks, three for Christmas, and somewhere around six or seven for summer.