Thread: Hermione's scar

katrin4p

Hermione's scar

Okay, I know this was somewhere in the 5th book but for some reason, I just can't find it. I don't know if I can post this since it's in the book but I just couldn't find it, but I'll still give it a try.

So, in Order of the Phoenix, it's mentioned (at the end of the book) that Hermione now has a scar because of Dolohov's spell. In the book it says the spell passed through her chest like a whip, so I'd say the scar is on her chest, but I've read some fics where it's on her stomach and I honestly don't know where it is.

I don't know if we need a reason to post this, but I'll give one anyway: on a chapter of my WIP, Hermione doesn't have a shirt on (since she's in a beach and everything) and so I need to know. Help, anyone?

At first I didn't really think about the 'whip passing through her chest' part but as I was writing the post it came to my mind. So sorry if I confused anyone.

AurorKeefy
    She winced slightly and put a hand to her ribs. The curse Dolohov had used on her, though less effective than it would have been had he been able to say the incantation aloud, had nevertheless caused, in Madam Pomfrey's words, 'quite enough damage to be going on with'. Hermione was having to take ten different types of potion every day, was improving greatly, and was already bored with the Hospital Wing.
    - OotP, British Edition, pg. 747

Any scar left on Hermione is, unless I am once again proved wrong, completely conjured by fanfiction. There is no part of the books describing her chest/stomach as having any scar upon it, unless I have once again been an idiot.

Personally, for sake of fanfiction, I would have said that the original wound was upon her chest ("put a hand to her ribs"), but had already been counteracted without any visible scars ("improving greatly, and was already bored with the hospital wing").

katrin4p
    Oh, thank you! Because I remembered a scar being mentioned *somewhere*, I just didn't know if it was in the book. Since I went to read the book and there was no scar mentioned there, I thought it was a bit weird, so I came to the Reference Desk.

Thanks again!