Thread: Hallowe'en Drabble Challenge

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

Hallowe'en Drabble Challenge

BOO!

Did I scare you?

Did you think the inn was closed?

Had you forgotten about Rosmerta and her special brews?

No More!

Here for your fiendish fury and ghoultastic glee is The Three Broomsticks Halloween Drabble Challenge. And it's moderately simple ... ish.

Your mission, barflies, is this:

Write a drabble featuring Draco and Rosmerta as your protagonists. It has to take place on Hallowe'en. You may set it any time from Draco's seventh year onwards, so October 1997 is the earliest date - capiche? You may set it anywhere, not just The Three Broomsticks.

As an extra challenge, you need to include these words. Please do not bold or italicise them because part of the challenge is how seamlessly the words fit into your drabble.

Words to include:

Ghost
    Apple
    Song
    Portrait
    Neck

You may pluralise, but that is all. No changing 'neck' to 'necking' for instance.

All drabbles must be between 300-500 words.
    All MNFF guidelines must be followed.
    SPaG rules are part of the judging process.

5 points for participation (You may enter more than one drabble, but you will only get one set of points)
    If there are sufficient entries of quality as well as quantity, then the points will be awarded thusly: First place - 15, Second Place - 10, Third place - 5.

You have until 8am GMT November 1st to get your drabbling heads on.

Use this form, please:

PHP Code:
    [B]Name[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Ratings and Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]A/N:[/B

One final instruction .... Excite or scare me!
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 10-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Seven Bottles of Potions
    Name: Oregonian
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Draco's Apology
    Ratings & Warnings: 1st-2nd Years, Mild profanity
    Word Count: 499
    A/N:

Draco walks along the rim of the lake towards Hogsmeade, his coat collar turned up to protect his neck from the chilly breeze. The sun has already set; the sky is peach-colored at the horizon. The dry reeds and sedges rattle and hiss in the wind. One gnarled apple tree, with a small apple and a few yellow leaves still clinging, has managed to survive so far north.

Draco is here with other recent graduates to sit his N.E.W.T.s which were postponed from August to November; repairs to the castle took longer than expected. He arrived this morning, Saturday, October 31. N.E.W.T.s start on Monday.

There was a session in the Headmistress's office earlier this afternoon with Blaise and Theodore to discuss their security. The portraits were uncharacteristically silent, but Draco imagines they had plenty to say after the boys left the office.

His hearing at the Ministry is coming up soon, but he's not worried. There's not a ghost of a chance of being incarcerated.

I was just a kid. I didn't kill anyone with the necklace or the mead, and I chose not to use Avada Kedavra. What I did at the Manor was under extreme duress by Voldemort. Surely they will take that into consideration.

Harry testified for my mum; he won't testify against me. Ron? Katie? Nah, they won't testify (I hope); they know I didn't target them personally.

Rosmerta? He is less sure here. That's why he's come to apologize to her.

She needs to let bygones be bygones before the hearing occurs. He has been rehearsing what he will say and imagining how she will reply, the whole conversation. She will realize his sincerity, understand that he had no choice, that everyone suffered during the war. He is sure he can win her over before she testifies.

He hums a Muggle tune popular on the wireless. Things are going well. N.E.W.T.s won't be hard; he had plenty of time to study. The terrible stress of war is behind him now.

He arrives at the dock on the lake's edge near the train station. Rosmerta stipulated this private place where she would meet him. Privacy is good. Nobody else needs to hear his abject apology; nobody will disturb them here at this time of year.

Rosmerta is already there, scowling, arms akimbo. The song dies on Draco's lips. This is not as he imagined. He approaches her.

"Rosmerta," he begins.

"You scum!" she yells without preliminaries. "How dared you use an Imperius curse against me! I hope you rot in Azkaban!"

"I can explain..." he starts, but suddenly she shoves him hard in the chest with both hands. He falls backward, hitting the icy water with a splash, immediately sinking underwater. Before he can co-ordinate his limbs to regain the surface, he feels something snake-like wrap around his neck. What the hell? The giant squid?

He fumbles desperately for his wand. Only a wordless spell can save him.

Relashio!
    Writer, Poet, Drabbler, Occasional Beta, Slytherin Cheerleader
    This lovely banner is a gift from my good friend Nagini Riddle.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Oh dear, only one entry, but I enjoyed it, and it was good to see Draco in the drink!

Thank you. I'm obviously awarding five points for participation, but have another five for entertaining me.

Gryffinbore -0
    Hufflepuffedout -0
    Ravenflawed -0
    Slythewin - 10 points.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye