Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ginny Weasley

Blossomlily
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrofire
    Yes, we know she held together very well when Harry told her they had to break up (one of my favourite scenes if you ask me ). However, I think it is probable that she broke down afterwards.
    Ah. I do think Ginny would've been upset... but devastated? I think not. I think Ginny's feelings would tilt more toward anger than sadness. If you look deeply into Harry's words, you do find that they're quite reasonable, and I believe Ginny does have enough sense to see that reason, even if it involves her in more ways than one. I see her as a strong and brave girl. She would understand that Harry's break-up was due to his 'fore-sight' and his duty towards the wizarding world rather than his having anything against their relationship. I do think that Ginny would still believe that the break-up was only temporary, and they would be together once again after the war - she has enough bubbling confidence to support herself and Harry.
    Hence the anger. She might be angry - even furious - at Harry for distancing himself, when they could have very well fought shoulder to shoulder. But, like you said, she mightn't be too harsh at him, though.

I know Ginny is very strong. I agree with that. But she is still a girl. She has gone through far too many things for her age, and yet, she still has to endure with her heart problems. I somehow know how it is to be in her situation, putting up a strong facade in order to hide the real tempest. It is not easy, and I think she probably did it through 5 years!
    Exactly. She's distanced herself for five years. Why wouldn't she wait another year? I think that wait along would hold her up, and make her confident of Harry's victory.

So, what I mean to say here is, Ginny, having suffered losses from Voldemort as well, wouldn't ever break down because of what Harry said for the simple reason that it was never meant to be a "we're not meant to be" kind of break-up. I do think she would understand what it meant to save the wizarding world, and would, of course, be willing to sacrifice. It still looks to me like a temporary change, that's all. Why wouldn't it to Ginny? She would be sad, but wouldn't dwell on it. She might be upset, but wouldn't break down. She is a fierce and headstrong young girl, and it wouldn't fit to have her lose control.

There, you have my two cents...

5 points to Hufflepuff

Starmaiden
    Hm. Excellent points, all. I've been halfway converted here...

I think you're right, AstroFire -- I can certainly see her taking refuge in her room or somewhere secluded to cry her eyes out more than once. But I see her, when finished, wiping her eyes, coming downstairs, and facing the world for what's next. Sure, Hermione or Mrs. Weasley or other people would know and maybe help her through the break-up, but the face she puts on for the world would be a strong one. And I don't think it would be purely a facade. She has the marvelous ability to fight through what hurts the most.

I think, stronger than the hurt, would be the anger (like Blossomlily said). It could look to her something like abandonment, no matter how much she knows Harry to be reasonable.

Also, now that I think about it, Harry took it as much more of a permanent thing. He doesn't seem to be thinking past Voldemort. Ginny has enough courage and optimism to do so -- she'll wait for him. And yes, there'll be some stuff for both of them to yell and cry about, but both of them will be fine eventually.

Angel of Lily
    I am writing a fic set just after bill and fleurs wedding and ginny is writing a letter to harry, I want to know wether Ginny sounds OOC in this section:

Dear Harry,
    Of course you are forgiven, I thought we sorted this out (coughcough - got together again - coughcough) at Bill and Fleur’s wedding, I think I will name the owl Ivor like you suggested as it does suit him awfully well and it will remind me of you. A very classy owl Ivor is not though, he flew down the chimney in his haste to get your letter to me and don’t worry nobody has a clue that I know were you are. Ron and Hermione are fine I’m guessing if they are bickering, have they has another of their five second break ups yet, I really pity you, I would hate to be alone in their company for too long and it seems to me like you are going to be stuck with them for a while. God I miss you lot, ‘specially you Harry. I’m not going to pine for you but please write, it would make my day. Everyone was terrified when they found you guys gone; they calmed down when they saw your letter because it was proof that you’re alive, they’re still a bit hacked off mind. Tell Ron and Hermione I say Hi and that everything’s fine here and that Bill’s managed to convince mum they haven’t eloped although it took a while and was hilarious whilst it lasted. Fred and George we’re delighted at the idea and think that it would be a brilliant prank to make, like I dunno, evil elopers, convince your friends and family that you’ve run away to get married – I don’t think it will work. Gotta go, mum wants me to do the dishes, stupid chores.

As Ever

Ginny

P.S What the heck do you mean yours as ever?

Here is the letter she is reponding too:

Dear Ginny,
    I am so sorry we had to sneak away without saying goodbye, your Mum was planning to keep us all holiday and see us back to Hogwarts though and we had to leave straight away. Ron and Hermione are arguing nearby, I am writing this from the Broken Wand inn, just outside London, but soon we will be going to places without addresses, I brought you this owl from a nearby shop, he is yours to name as you wish and if you ever want to owl me just give him a letter with my name on and he will find me, I will write as much as possible but it will be difficult as sending lots of owls would draw attention to us, the owl I got you can come often though as barn owls are good at going unnoticed. I chose this owl because he looks so curious and lopsided, I hope you like him – I keep going to call him Ivor, I don’t know why it just seems to suit him, you’ll have to tell me his name so I will have something to call him. Hermione wants to show me something in a book; I’ll have to go,

Yours As Ever

Harry

P.S. Please say you accepted my apology at the wedding, I was just scared for you at the funeral and I made a bad decision.

P.P.S Don’t let anyone try and follow us as we’re moving on tonight.

Starmaiden
    Mostly, I think you've done her right. The only problem is punctuation. While the sentences sound like Ginny, because they're rather humorous, they run on, which is more generic-teen-girl than it is Ginny Weasley. (For more detailed help, you should stick this in the Excerpts of Murtlap section )

I do like that you have Ginny being sad he's gone, but not weepy, and we know that the Twins have rubbed off on her, so I think that's a good detail.

(Mods, I'm sorry if I shouldn't have answered, I tried to make it about Ginny!)

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    I was wondering about Ginny's friends at Hogwarts. We know she has friends of course, she seems to be quite popular, but like Harry said in HBP, she hangs with her own friends at school, and not with Ron, Hermione and him. But who are they? Is there any names mentionned in the books? I've read some fics where she's often friends with Luna Lovegood and the Creevey brothers, but is it canon, or just something made up by authors? Is it ok for me to just come up with some invented names and characters to be her friends in my fanfiction? Thanks in advance for your help!

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

Gryffinpuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv
    I was wondering about Ginny's friends at Hogwarts. We know she has friends of course, she seems to be quite popular, but like Harry said in HBP, she hangs with her own friends at school, and not with Ron, Hermione and him. But who are they? Is there any names mentionned in the books? I've read some fics where she's often friends with Luna Lovegood and the Creevey brothers, but is it canon, or just something made up by authors? Is it ok for me to just come up with some invented names and characters to be her friends in my fanfiction? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Doesn't Ginny often hang out with her current boyfriend a great deal of the time? I remember constantly seeing her with Dean and Michael Corner while she was with them.

I don't think it's stretching it too far to say that she may be friends with Luna. They are in the same year and she introduces Luna to Harry and Neville in book 5. However, I think they are more friendly acquaintances than best friends as some fics would suggest. Ginny would probably know the Creevey brothers, but somehow I don't see her being best friends with them, either. I think it would be safe to make up some character names, as we don't really know anyone else in her year. Just remember that she confides in Hermione when they are alone (discussing Harry and other boys), and much of the time she spent away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione in book 6 was on Hermione's suggestion in an effort to make Harry notice her more. Hope that helped!

hogwartsduchess
    In canon, Ginny's friends are never really mentioned. She knows Luna, but anyone having classes with her would know her - she's a rather unique individual. Before the DA, I doubt she was more than a classmate with Luna. The Creevey brothers was always a bit of a joke - that she and Colin should start a Harry Potter Fan Club. You never actually see them together, really, it's just mentioned by Ron as a bit of humour.

While she does confide in Hermione quite a bit, it isn't until later years. Remember, Ginny didn't start talking around Harry until OotP, her fourth year. Which means it probably wasn't until then that she and Hermione started talking, and that most likely had more to do with being the only girls in Grimmauld place with the twins and Ron for company than any previous desire to be friends. Close quarters make for interesting bedfellows (using that phrase loosely, please don't write a Ginny/Hermione romance - I'd die laughing). It was over that summer that Ginny started speaking to Harry - partly on Hermione's advice, of course, but partly as a maturity thing as well. She's grown up quite a bit now, and she's a rather popular, good-looking girl. Naturally her confidence where Harry is concerned is going to be a bit better. But that is off the point.

I think you would be very safe in making up names of friends for Ginny. The only ones in her year we've seen much of have been Colin Creevey and Romilda Vane (Vance? I can't remember). I highly doubt she is friends with either of them. Since we missed Ginny's sorting, we don't have many names to go with. When creating her friends, however, keep in mind that they are not likely to be wishy-washy whiney girls, and she isn't likely to have a clique of 4 or 5 girls following her around. It's more plausible that she has one or maybe two very close friends who are similar to her in many ways, but have their unique differences.

5 points to Gryffindor

HarryPotter is my LIFE
    I do remember, in HBP, that she was sitting in the same compartment as Zacharious Smith, but I think that may have been just by association.

I don't know about wizarding world, but in the Muggle world (as we all should know) you have real friends, and aqqcauntince friends. So I'm sure she's friendly with some of her current boyfriend's friends. Then I'm sure she's freidnly with her dorm-mates, at least a bit.

Blossomlily
    I have a very specific question.

It is five years after the war has ended, and the trio and Ginny are all grown up. Ginny's been working in Egypt and has just returned to England. Now, she gets a very heartfelt letter from one Michael Corner, asking her to renew her friendship (only friendship) with him because he has been too hurt and scarred in the war and has suffered many losses and has no one to turn to. He asks her to put their childish break-up behind her, and give him comfort by her company.

My question isn't about why Michael should develop sudden sentiments, because obviously there is going to be some doubt about the sincerity of his intentions. I would like to know what sort of a reply you think Ginny would give.

Initially, I was inclined to think that she would scorn it, but then I began having my doubts. Would the grown-up Ginny be more trusting of a previous betrayer? A young Ginny might not, but could experience from the war soften her outlook? Would she sympathize with Michael and go meet him? Oh, and Ginny isn't held back by any romantic relationship with anyone at the moment because she's just returned from abroad.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help.

EDIT: All right, so no debate over this one. *grin* Thanks, all!

Dumbledore Prince
    Would the grown-up Ginny be more trusting of a previous betrayer? A young Ginny might not, but could experience from the war soften her outlook? Would she sympathize with Michael and go meet him?

First, I wouldn't call Michael Corner a "betrayer", because the consequences weren't anything major.

I don't see why Ginny wouldn't be friends with Michael again, after both of them have grown up and moved on from a previous relationship. It's perfectly in-character to make her realise that she can be friendly with someone who wants to be so. It would be pretty childish for (the grown-up) Ginny to avoid someone just because he was her ex-boyfriend.

However, I can see her being a bit apprehensive initially. She might give a tactful answer and seek some time to come to a final decision. By then, you could make her think about her feelings for Michael. After overcoming her trepidation, she can go and meet him. After all, she doesn't hate Michael or anything like that.